• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Best type of welding to learn

Do-it-yourself and How To. Tips, plans and construction of things such as Root Cellars, Green houses, Dog houses, and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Best type of welding to learn

Postby pengyou » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:43 am

Thanks for all of your input. I have 2 reasons for wanting to learn to weld. One - to repair things that might/will break down. I am shopping for a tractor now, as well as a few attachments and it seems that these kinds of things always need a little bit of help. The second reason is to build things. I have a few pet ideas that I would like to try out in steel. I will be building my own homestead in a couple of years. :)
pengyou

Postby Blazer2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:48 pm

Look at a gas welder/ generator. A120amp
The generator is going to be 8000w and the welder will do 3/8" depending on the material and rod size. And the temp of said material.
Blazer2

Postby Ryder » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:08 pm

One thing to determine is how you are going to power your welder. A 220 volt stick welder is great for fabrication and farm repair but be prepared to spend as much for the wiring and 220 outlet as for the welder if you don't already have 220 wired. I have used a small 220 stick welder plugged into the dryer outlet (don't try this at home).
I have a miller 140 which is a 120 volt wire feed gas shielded welder. I make big metal sculptures and this welder does fine welding 1/4 and smaller steel. The welder will run off of a Honda 2000 inverter generator and I can also plug it into a normal house socket. I have even run it on a long extension cord.
Buy quality first, this little welder has run thru multiple multiple 10 pound rolls of welding wire and my only repairs have been a liner that the wire comes out to the gun in after I dropped some heavy steel on it.
I also build 4 wheel transport bicycles and this little welder is fun to use on old bicycle frames.
Ryder

Postby michellemacdroff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:17 pm

To weld aluminum, operators must take care to clean the base material and remove any aluminum oxide and hydrocarbon contamination from oils or cutting solvents. This the first and most important step.
michellemacdroff

Postby sageprice » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 pm

oldasrocks wrote:Learn on a stick welder. From there its an easy jump to most everything else. Sure wire feed is easier but not necessarily better. A little wire feed welder is maxed out at 1/4 inch metals if you need penetration. Wire feed is slightly better than brazing for strength.

I'm a retired welder and can honesty say I've used over 7 tons of stick rod. Been Certed for AC/DC, brazing, oxy welding, Heli-arc for stainless and aluminum.

The trick is to learn metals. Be able to fix something so it doesn't break again. There are some good books available out there on structure. I've seen countless items broken because they were designed by some desk jockey on a drafting board who didn't understand shock load. As designed load- set a brick on your foot. Shock load- hold the brick up 3 ft and drop it on your foot. Understand the difference? Picture a trailer bouncing down the road. Every bump puts stress someplace. A weld needs to be strong but flexible. Ever see something with a break line along side a weld? That's because it was welded too hot and chased the carbon out of the surrounding metal making it brittle. Cross stitch to make it hold.

I greatly concur. Stick first, practice, position, practice, position. If in doubt do a test label or ticket, know your material.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Previous

Return to DIY and How-To