• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

fertilizer scarce

Gardening tips, questions and information here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: fertilizer scarce

Postby FussyOldHen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:26 pm

What's your plan when the NPK factories stop churning the stuff out? Might as well start getting used to doing without it now.
FussyOldHen

Postby Lynda » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:13 am

We just use cow manure from the local dairy farm and our own chicken leavings.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:33 am

That a good example of perceived shortages becoming rumors that could lead to hoarding leading to real shortages. In this case, no harm done, some helpful info got shared, and a peaceful ending.
We do need to be careful to not get caught up in rumors of shortages--there have been many. I'm guilty, maybe others here are, so far we have been fortunate that none were serious.
All we can do is bounce questions & info off each other and do our research.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby kappydell » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:40 pm

compost and urine fertilyzer. Make it yourself.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby Vetmike » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:24 pm

Our area is under surveillance by the state because our nitrites are way high in our water. They are talking about finding ways to slow down the pollution of the aquifer but as long as ag is the principal money source for our politicians it isn't going to happen. That said, we should wean ourselves from factory produced fertilizers. I walk in fertilizer every day when I check cows. We also compost. I've never tried worm-a-culture but I think I am going to give it a try.
Vetmike

Postby FussyOldHen » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Vetmike, you might want to look into Black Soldier Fly Larvae (BSF or BSFL), too.

BSF are non-pest flies that only live for 5-8 days, and are usually found naturally in the entire U.S. They eat virtually all kinds of soft waste (kitchen and restaurant food waste, manure of all kinds, spoiled animal feed, etc) but not paper/cardboard/hard fibers, reducing 100 lbs of wet waste to 5 lbs in a relatively short time. [After harvesting, turn that last 5 lbs of waste over to earthworms for finishing.] They don't like being in houses, they don't carry disease, their larvae grows faster than worms in warm weather, the larvae is high in protein and, depending upon their larval stage, are very nutritious for fish, poultry and livestock. If you set them up right, they can be self-harvesting. They can be harvested in their last instar, and frozen for mid-winter feeding.

One caveat: heed the warnings produced by Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE - aka Mad Cow Disease), and avoid feeding BSF raised on one kind of manure (i.e., hog) back to that species. But it's perfectly fine to feed BSF raised on something like chicken manure to hogs, and vice versa.

There is a lot of info and a discussion forum at the Black Soldier Fly blog: http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/
FussyOldHen

Postby Vetmike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Fussy, thanks for the link. On a cattle ranch flies are usually a pest as they can lead to weight loss in cattle. I'll link over to the site and see if that is a problem.
Vetmike

Postby Syncline » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:59 pm

kappydell wrote:compost and urine fertilyzer. Make it yourself.

True. If you are composting, you have plenty of fertilizer.
And if you are a Aqua-/hydro-ponic user, then you already have some idea what to stock if you need to mix your own.
Compost is the easy route, mixes are second best. Home gardeners and farmers can use “free” manure from their own farm animals to fertilize their crops. Or manure can still be hauled for free from local stables or purchased from big box stores to dig into the garden and/or compost at ¼ to ½ inch layer. An average human pee contains something like 11g nitrogen, 1g phosphorus and 2.5g potassium, give or take, and dumped into your compost pile it will accellerate the composting process considerably. The main nitrogen-based chemical fertilizers are ammonia, ammonium nitrate, and urea, and urea is by far the best balanced of the three.
Compost can be made at home out of leftover food items and other detritus and is virtually cost free. Compost, or even compost tea, may be all one needs for a successful crop. But if the soil is nutrient-poor or if you are planting a larger or more demanding vegetable garden, augmenting with another type of fertilizer may be advisable.
Manure tea is another great homemade food plant that you can easily create. While there are many of these tea recipes for making plant food from manure, most are quite simple and can be achieved with nothing more than the chosen manure, water and a bucket. If you want to store fertilizer components and cannot find any, making your own is not too difficult. Remember that YOU MUST DILUTE fertilizer when you use it, don't just dump it on the plants, work it into the soil beforehand and give the fertilizer time to become bioavailable long before you even plant there.

Homemade 'organic' fertilizer recipes
(if it's all processed and mixed up from a set of boxes I have trouble calling it organic, but that's what it is)

Homemade Fertilizer #1
Mix uniformly, in parts by volume:
4 parts seed meal or grass clippings, dry crushed leaves, or instead use 2 parts blood meal if you need to lower pH
<all of these are high nitrogen, but somewhat lacking in trace nutrients>
1/4 part ordinary agricultural lime <Calcium Carbonate> If your soil pH is already low like that found in the Southeast USA
1/4 part gypsum <Calcium Sulfate> (or you can double the agricultural lime, esp in SE USA)
1/2 part dolomitic lime <magnesium carbonate> (adds Magnesium with more Calcium)
1 part bone meal, rock phosphate, guano or high-phosphate guano <Phosphates>
1/2 to 1 part kelp meal, or fish meal <more Nitrogen, and adds a lot of trace nutrients like iodine and sulfates>

The main micronutrients include sources of iron, manganese, molybdenum, zinc, and copper. These elements have to be provided as water-soluble salts. Iron presents special problems because it converts to insoluble (unavailable) compounds at moderate soil pH and phosphate concentrations. For this reason, iron is often administered as a chelate and that is hard to produce in a survival situation. The micronutrient needs depend on the plant. For example, sugar beets need boron, and legumes need cobalt. Yellowing leaves on any plant may need iron, so consider getting a dry suppliment product that stores well like Iron-tone or ActinoIron that has chelated iron in it.

If you are substituting chemical-free grass clippings or dry, crushed leaves for the seed meal, they will need extra time to break down.
Use about a half-inch-thick layer of fresh clippings/leaves (six to seven 5-gallon bucketfuls per 100 sqft) chopped into the top 2 inches of the soil with a hoe. I would do this the fall before planting or even earlier if you can.

Homemade Fertilizer #2 : Epsom Salt
This plant food recipe is a common houseplant mix you see on houseplant boards, used every four to six weeks just as you would use miracle gro.
1 part Baking powder/Baking soda
1 part Epsom salts
1 part Saltpeter
½ part Ammonia

Combine with 1 gallon of water and store in an airtight container.
A pile of crap will not save you. Your own skills and attitude will.
Syncline

Postby FussyOldHen » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:29 am

And don't forget Humanure. :D

The Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins. Free online, photos and all -- more answers than you can think of questions.
http://humanurehandbook.com/contents.html
FussyOldHen

Postby Syncline » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:23 am

Jenkins is the man!
A pile of crap will not save you. Your own skills and attitude will.
Syncline

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:50 pm

Not sure if there is still supposed to be a shortage, I just bought 300 pounds of 12 12 12 for the lawn and garden. They had plenty. I have 4 acres to fertilize and I know it hasn't been done for 3 years, plus the
garden needs it too.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby marianacardiff » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:19 am

Great post about fertilizer scarce, fertilizer is essential for modern food production and is the limiting factor in crop yields. Keep posting like this post!
wild flower seeds uk
marianacardiff

Postby sageprice » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 am

Sorry guys and Gals, but I have to ask the Big Question. Are you not preppers? Exactly where are you going to buy fertilizer if SHTF. Your Money is worth nothing, there is no fuel for the car to go get it and bad people are taking shots at you if you move around too much. A test of hydroponics fertilizer against, fish farming water or Miraclegro showed Fish water right up there with hydroponic fluids. The book "Solaris" has several chapters about "U" power (urine). As preppers one should have a bank of knowledge to pull from, not a credit card and a hardware store.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:57 pm

With horses, goats, and chickens (for the time being...eventually we plan on adding some cattle and swine) and other things to compost, we have PLENTY of fertilizer. Since I prefer organic methods, I don't buy commercial fertilizers anyway.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Gardening