• Advertisement

Keeping looters away in cities and suburbs

Survival and Sustainability tips and ideas for suburbanites and apartment dwellers

Moderators: IceFire, medic72

Re: Keeping looters away in cities and suburbs

Postby anita » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:57 pm

What about a super-soaker (as I said, I get most of my home defense ideas from Home Alone.)
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:26 pm

I have lights all around the outside of our house so the only sort of dark area is on one end where there are no openings. Then
a huge yard light that lights up the garages and driveways. We have a huge LED light that will light this place up like a stadium
when hubby gets his garage wired its going up out there and the $25 a month one from the power company is gone, our outside
lights are LED's. They are very bright and very inexpensive to leave on. He just got demobed from his job in Africa so has decided
to finally retire so that is going to be great too.

I had them all on at night over a month before I left and nobody bothered anything while I was gone. I had locked the 2
interior doors inside the garage, they are steel core but I forgot to lock the walkin door on the garage.

I do have a 65 pound lab dobbie mix. I let him outside a lot and most people won't get out of their cars, I've had grown men
sit and honk and not get out. He never stops wagging his tail but he also will lean on me or sit beside me. I've had more then
one person say I bet if someone came at you that dog would tear them apart. I think he might lick them to death but who
knows, he is my buddy though. I do not feel unsafe even with no neighbors and yes we had a homicide a few miles from
here 2 years ago, they have never found the murderer and also a home invasion not to far away they finally caught him too
and a lot of petty thefts. So far we haven't been bothered. Can't say the same when we lived in town in the suburbs, they
stole all kinds of stuff out of hubbies truck, busted out the back window in my Camaro, and then we started seeing gang
graffiti, we moved too.

In the city and towns I would be afraid, one of the reasons we don't live there, though a small town would probably be ok.

If order broke down a city is the last place I would want to live and would be very hard to get out alive and then where
do you go? The country life is for me. And besides that I have 10 pounds of bacon in the freezers.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby AuntBee » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:53 am

Well, now we know where to go Trick-or-Treating! yum yum!

AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Postby LeeLynn » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:10 am

rebnavy1862 wrote:Bee, remember in the old westerns when the Indians would mess with a crazy white man? You need to act as wild and crazy as you can.
Well, maybe you won't have to act. It has helped me during the event I described and in thwarting an armed robbery by three thugs.
If you are wild and unpredictable, an assailant is confused and might go elsewhere. A gun can be effective without having to fire it. In this case "bigger is better". However you must be prepared to kill. A pile of dead bodies is a deterrent.

I forgot to mention in my thread about sleep deprivation that I placed a fake, but very realistic coiled rattlesnake at the door to discourage looters. It actually worked a number of times in scaring them off. Hey, I was at wit's end, and was ready to try anything.

I also used a very bright flood light shining at the door. It blinded them. Also my rabid screaming and the sound of the action of a shotgun helped. They couldn't see me, but I could see them. You have to use some psychological warfare.

Rabid Reb

Reb I was thinking about your sleep deprivation and can't help but wonder what the situation would look like on a national scale and for months on end. I don't think any of us can truly fathom what would happen if the lights go out. There won't just be looters to worry about but desperate desperate people coming from every direction, at all times of the day, and from every walk of life. I'm afraid some of us who have never known chaos are going to truly lose our minds.
LeeLynn

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:56 am

LeeLynn wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:Bee, remember in the old westerns when the Indians would mess with a crazy white man? You need to act as wild and crazy as you can.
Well, maybe you won't have to act. It has helped me during the event I described and in thwarting an armed robbery by three thugs.
If you are wild and unpredictable, an assailant is confused and might go elsewhere. A gun can be effective without having to fire it. In this case "bigger is better". However you must be prepared to kill. A pile of dead bodies is a deterrent.

I forgot to mention in my thread about sleep deprivation that I placed a fake, but very realistic coiled rattlesnake at the door to discourage looters. It actually worked a number of times in scaring them off. Hey, I was at wit's end, and was ready to try anything.

I also used a very bright flood light shining at the door. It blinded them. Also my rabid screaming and the sound of the action of a shotgun helped. They couldn't see me, but I could see them. You have to use some psychological warfare.

Rabid Reb

Reb I was thinking about your sleep deprivation and can't help but wonder what the situation would look like on a national scale and for months on end. I don't think any of us can truly fathom what would happen if the lights go out. There won't just be looters to worry about but desperate desperate people coming from every direction, at all times of the day, and from every walk of life. I'm afraid some of us who have never known chaos are going to truly lose our minds.

Leelynn, I only got a very small taste of it and I'm quite certain I never want to taste it again. Our men who fought in Ramadi and Fallujah could teach us a lot. They had excellent weapons and the support of their brothers-in-arms. Yes, there will be many people having nervous breakdowns.

In the mid 1800's, pioneers settling the Great Plains got a taste of it. Subsistence living was brutally hard. There was the constant threat of an Indian attack. Isolation from other families was the norm. Actually, more settlers died from accidental firearms discharges than from Indian attacks. But, the threat was still there, eating away at your sanity. It was quite common for settlers, especially women, to go stark raving mad from the stress. Also consider that 19th century settlers had better survival skills than us modern folks and were not dependent on so many things like electricity and automobiles.

It ain't gonna be pretty.

Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby LeeLynn » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:58 am

When that day comes Reb it will be a very somber day for those of us who know what is happening. Preppers will recognize, or should anyway, an EMP or an X class CME instantaneously. At that moment I will round up my group and hunker down. Those that we have selected are all within a 3 mile radius. We got a BOL this year, it's 30 plus miles away but there is a river that runs 3 miles from my house that takes you within 100 yards of it also my neighbor down the road, who is in our group, has the lot that butts up to ours. It's hilly country down there but ideal for seclusion and perimeter defense. Looters will be out in full force in populated districts.
LeeLynn

Postby terrapin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:20 am

AuntBee wrote:Well, now we know where to go Trick-or-Treating! yum yum!

:drool:
terrapin

Postby Northern Freeman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:48 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:
daaswampman wrote:I was about to make suggestions and then realized the title was not "Keeping looters in the cities and suburbs". It didn't make any sense as that is where their going to start! Good luck if you think your going to stop them. Swamp

:rofl: :thumbsup:
Reb
yeah, keep'em in the cities!

:thumbup: Another Vote to keep them in the cities. :gunshooting:
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:10 am

We are off the beaten path, they look on the maps and see nothing out here. That's a good thing in my opinion. And I'm working on that bacon! Yummy, eggs, bacon, maybe some gravy with toast in the morning. Ahhh

Can't sleep again its 4AM, have the alarm set for 9 to get to chiropractor. I finally found someone to fix
my back so its not bothering me. First visit and she got it, I knew if they knew what they were doing they could. Ahhhhh

Nobody wants us out here, no food, people sparse, and no gas stations or grocery stores to loot. Maybe a feed store, not much food or people here.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Gunns » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Northern Freeman wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:
daaswampman wrote:I was about to make suggestions and then realized the title was not "Keeping looters in the cities and suburbs". It didn't make any sense as that is where their going to start! Good luck if you think your going to stop them. Swamp

:rofl: :thumbsup:
Reb
yeah, keep'em in the cities!

:thumbup: Another Vote to keep them in the cities. :gunshooting:

Me too. That's why I moved to the sticks.

:thumbup:
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:55 pm

I'm not feeling the love here. :angry:
AuntBee

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:57 pm

AuntBee wrote:I'm not feeling the love here. :angry:

We all love and respect you Bee, that's why we encourage you to get out while there is still time.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

rebnavy1862

Postby RayMac1963 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:41 am

rebnavy1862 wrote:
AuntBee wrote:I'm not feeling the love here. :angry:

We all love and respect you Bee, that's why we encourage you to get out while there is still time.
Reb

I got your back Bee
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby idahobeef » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:04 am

Caltrops....and super bright lights you can focus on someone; very few people would be brave enough to advance on a position they couldn't even see, especially under gunfire. Those 20 million candlewatt lights are worth their weight in gold for us non-violent types!
idahobeef

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:03 am

markcross wrote:Important to differentiate between small scale looting in a situation like Baltimore riot, and looting/killing during a long term loss of law and order. There will be no police who can respond; you'll be on your own. The looters won't be motivated by a free TV, but survival--getting food they must have, or ammo they're running out of. I think its foolish to try and stay in an urban area, or a suburb near big cities. You need to get far away to a rural retreat. Look at the Survival Communities section, that is what you need--a large group of people in a remote, secure facility. I just posted on Fortitude Ranch, a great survival community in West Virginia that is raising funds now to expand across the U.S. You can't beat the safety and low cost--plus they also let members come out and vacation there.

hey guy - your "ad" supposedly was OKed to be on the site ....

did you get permission for more ads like this one?????
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to Urban/Suburban Survival