• Advertisement

Help with long term food storage.

Topics for discussing dehydration, drying, and smoking as methods for food preservation

Re: Help with long term food storage.

Postby Beno27 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:07 pm

Is this http://vacuumsealergeek.com/nesco-vs-02-vacuum-sealer-review/ the Nesco sealer you have? I've used it before and had great success sealing some types of fruit for using in smoothies etc such as berries from my garden. They go straight in my smoothies though so haven't tried defrosting.
Beno27

Postby lbgreen » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:34 am

OK guys all you pro's out there I have a question. I was going through some of my stock, I like to check on things about every 5 years. I found a gallon bag of dehydrated pears that the seal was broken on. I wanted to cry. Are they ruined? They look ok, Should I taste them? Out of about 50 bags this was the only bag that had a broken seal. They were packaged using a food dehydrator and an 02 absorber, then they were placed in a mylar with 02 absorbers, then in a large plastic bucket with a lid? Should I just toss them, or do you think they are ok? I hate to loose a whole gallon of pears that could possibly still be good. Maybe I just need to use them now? I like to check my storage about every 5 years, I don't mind the waste of 02's, just to make sure my stores are still good. I can re-seal the large mylar bag with new 02's, it just makes me more comfortable to go through and check things. It's sort of like rotating cans to me :) Help anyone got any suggestions? :?
lbgreen

Postby jean11 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:20 am

I would go ahead and taste some of the pears to see if they are worth saving. My guess is that they are still good. This summer I've had an abundance of yellow crookneck and pattypan squash. I decided to cook it first, then dehydrate it, and it turned out surprisingly good. It's vacuumed sealed and I'm glad I have it.
jean11

Postby JayJay » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Hey--I hear ya!! I open a different bucket of rice every year.
I have 16 buckets, so I check every now and then.
I have thrown away lots of things like flour, pancake mix, but don't consider it a loss really.
When I eat out it's a cost of $20-$30 and that's not considered a loss, so why storing food that got old considered a loss?
I just replaced the flour and pancake mix yesterday.

Better have than not, right??

Put a few pears in warm water and see if they are still good. :p
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby farmer_dude48 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:19 pm

This may be on here somewhere , but does anybody have any good ideas on long term storage for eggs ???
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Eggs...

If you have chickens, you have a sustainable source. I did up, up until recently.

Eggs from your own last longer when they are not washed. For a short while they don't require refrigeration if kept in a cool dark spot, but hard to say how long that is. I used the old floating method to gauge, but you can easily tell when they go really bad.

There are freeze dried and dehydrated eggs and egg crystal options in pouches and cans. I have several options, but they're for a rainy day. I might get around to trying them out in the near future. Expiration dates vary (3-10 years, iirc), and are not as long as some other LT food.

One egg substitute for baking is apple sauce. If you look up Vegan alternatives to eggs you'll find some others with longer shelf lives. One source:
https://plenteousveg.com/vegan-egg-substitutes-baking/
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Drying, Dehydrating, & Smoking