• Advertisement

Trapping racoons

Post trapping topics here

Trapping racoons

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:29 pm

I've been having occasional problems with raccoons in my garage getting in through the cat doors. They can be quite destructive and I have a cage type trap...but it does not discriminate between the domestic cats and the raccoons.
It looks like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-1045-Two ... imal+traps

The other night talking to my friend across the river on my amateur radio walkie talkie..he told me about a different type of trap for raccoons which catches them in their foot...but does not catch other animals..like cats or dogs. I thought I would give it a try.

It is called a Duke raccoon foot type trap. I've never used one so this is going to be interesting. I've ordered two of them along with
the tool to set the trap.

I want to get rid of them as soon as possible and particularly before spring gets here.

http://www.amazon.com/Raccoon-Trap-Proo ... +two+traps

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Re: Trapping racoons

Postby ajax727 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:31 pm

A little trap that some have used was simple , a hole drilled in a log three horseshoe nails with a piece of tin foil inside , the coon would stick his paw into the hole to get the foil and the nails would hold him . They used this to catch a coon to use to train hounds .
Drill a hole 1 1/5 about 3'' deep drive two nails at an angle on one side and one in the center on the other side , place a piece of tinfoil into the bottom of the hole the coon will reach in and the nails will hold him .
Under the moonlight the foil will glitter and the coon will reach in trying to get to it .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby leangenes » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:05 pm

I have had good results trapping raccoons in live traps by using large marshmallows as bait. Cats are not interested in them, but the raccoons seem to love them.
I don't know what you do in New York, but around here we don't give a man a funeral unless we're pretty sure he needs one.---Fred Ziffel

Eat a live frog first thing in the morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.-– Mark Twain
leangenes

Postby Argus » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:26 pm

In a situation nearly identical to yours, coon was raiding the cat food bucket in the garage trough the cat door in the rear door of the garage. It could pry the lid off the bucket, and even knocked a big piece of railroad track off the bucket that was supposed to keep it out. The cat got locked up elsewhere and a standard coyote trap was set baited with dry cat food on the trigger pan, and anchored to an anvil with chain. The coon's delicate paws could take the food without triggering it, but after she had done that several nights I used a glue gun and glued the dry cat food to the pan. They are creatures of habit. Problem solved. Not 10 minutes after I shut off the lights to go to bed i heard the trap go off. It had been waiting for the house to go dark. I caught the fattest she-coon I've seen. The deer in the headlights look when I turned on the light was priceless. A .22 short through the CPU and it was lights out. In the freezer destined to become a cap. The other guys are right, their greedy little hands are their downfall, its hard to get them in a box trap, too smart. Have fun.
Argus

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Argus

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:10 pm

I don't mind trapping them and shooting them, they are quickly out of their misery, but to put nails and hold them, they would
tear themselves up badly trying to get out and they might die a painful death. I at least want to give predators a quick, clean
death. Guess that sounds silly but just me.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby orangetom1999 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:06 am

leangenes wrote:I have had good results trapping raccoons in live traps by using large marshmallows as bait. Cats are not interested in them, but the raccoons seem to love them.

leanjeans,

In discussing the Duke Racoon trap with my friend across the river...on Amateur Radio ...the other night, that is exactly what he stated...use marshmallows. I was a bit surprised at first until I realized how flexable/versatile these animals are ...how much they are scroungers and opportunists.

Watching for these traps to come in the mail.

Argus,
That is my thoughts exactly ...one behind the ear into the CPU. I have waited for them at night...but it is tiresome until my friend across the river told me about this kind of trap. Until now I had never heard of such and was concerned with using my box trap as it is not very discriminating as to what it catches.

PatrioticStabilist,

No it does not sound silly. I too want to put them down quickly. To be frank with the readers out here..I have more respect and admiration with much of four legged wildlife ..than I have for the two legged variety.

When they become a danger and a pest is where draw the line.
They are getting into my garage and knocking things about ..particularly on my work bench wherein is much of my reloading equipment. Time to thin them out.

Thanks to all for their posts,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby ajax727 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:37 am

Y'all are funny as hell , the method I used was to take them alive without them chewing there paw off like they would do when using a jaw trap . A jaw trap snaps the bones and they will chew there paw off to get away . A box trap will work but if you don't know how to set them it want work . You want to be so humane to a pest why trap and kill them at all . Just kill the cats and seal the door would be much smarted .
Coon meat is good eaten if you know how to prepare it and they say cats are good to eat also along with dog .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby farside » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:01 am

Did anyone think to change the cat door. I have one that locks. My cat has a small ball on his collar that's the key.
IDEAS ARE A DIME A DOZEN - PEOPLE WHO PUT THEM INTO ACTION ARE PRICELESS.
South Metro Region
State Counsel Chairman
Retired Combat Infantry NCO
farside
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:21 am

Would putting a stick-up motion detector light just inside the cat door keep the raccoons out? When I turn on the back porch light, they run away. Maybe outside the door makes more sense.

I like the locking cat door idea, but I am hesitant to collar outdoor cats. Although it's kind of amusing to see a blue jay get a grip on the collar---the better to peck her head. It's kind of like watching the rodeo. The cats have also gotten snagged on a branch, which is not so funny.

I have tried collars with the elastic stretch band, but she just works to get it off and lose it.

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:48 am

Be sure to check your local laws. Depending on the location, some methods may be illegal or may require a permit. It is not hard to catch a coon with a live trap, however the trapper must be smarter than a coon! Trappers have few friends and many people are happy to report them.

It would be good to learn live methods as trapping is a skill of the past and I doubt most forms will survive much longer. It is 2016 and few people actually need to trap, hunt, or fish. Have your tantrums, but few people actually need to trap, hunt, or fish - and the majority of America either do not approve or don't care one way or the other.

The life we are living today is the results of our revolution and our constitution! Having fun yet? Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:00 pm

I have got to agree with swamp trapping is a lost art , lost like a lot of other thing that have disappeared from most people knowledge . There are a few critters that are real hard to catch red fox and bobcats are the tuff one's to catch they are smarter than most humans . At one time I could make good winter money when I was a kid trapping and I never trapped all of them out ,as to say you have to leave a few for seed for the next year . When the models dress up it the blood dripping fur coats and struck a nerve with the cry baby bleeding hearts of the PETA crowd it killed the fur trade , But in turn it gave way to more pest and more cases of rabies . The same with beavers we trapped them down at one time now the land owners cry because the flood there timber , stop up the road tiles and build damns along the train bridges and runs of the swamps . So in a way you reap what you sow . The same with coyotes I like to hear them cry about them moving into the towns and cities , snacking on the cats and dogs .
When I talk about trapping or farming it ain't from knowing someone who traps or farmed or own land to lease to others or watching a you tube show about it , I have done it ..+..
ajax727

Postby daaswampman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Ajax: Locally there is no balance. Easy meals and destruction of habitat leads to bad habits. I have a red fox that eats the leftover cat food and just keeps eating while I watch her through the patio window. While I enjoy seeing them, dependence on us is not good for them.

If you can't secure your cat food from a coon, you have bigger problems than a coon. Swamp
daaswampman

Postby orangetom1999 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:29 pm

ajax727 wrote:I have got to agree with swamp trapping is a lost art , lost like a lot of other thing that have disappeared from most people knowledge . There are a few critters that are real hard to catch red fox and bobcats are the tuff one's to catch they are smarter than most humans . At one time I could make good winter money when I was a kid trapping and I never trapped all of them out ,as to say you have to leave a few for seed for the next year . When the models dress up it the blood dripping fur coats and struck a nerve with the cry baby bleeding hearts of the PETA crowd it killed the fur trade , But in turn it gave way to more pest and more cases of rabies . The same with beavers we trapped them down at one time now the land owners cry because the flood there timber , stop up the road tiles and build damns along the train bridges and runs of the swamps . So in a way you reap what you sow . The same with coyotes I like to hear them cry about them moving into the towns and cities , snacking on the cats and dogs .
When I talk about trapping or farming it ain't from knowing someone who traps or farmed or own land to lease to others or watching a you tube show about it , I have done it ..+..

Yeah...Ajax727....I can remember back when the feral donkeys were overbreeding and killing the foliage in the grand canyon. The bleeding hearts decided the donkeys would be hoisted out on helicopters..at great cost to the public. The solution would be to let in hunters to thin them out...very cost effective. Otherwise they would have destroyed the habitat by over grazing and starved to death anyway.

The same thing happens here on Federal Land...the Colonial Parkway..between Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown, Virginia. The deer population becomes too large and their growth is stunted and the habitat is over grazed...the deer began going hungry. Fortunately here they still have some sense. Certain sections are opened up to hunting...shotgun and bow only...away from the roads. This is how they are thinned out. It is very efficient and cost effective.
Same thing here in certain wooded areas of the city. They know this when it becomes over grazed and the deer start coming up into peoples yards and eating the flower beds and foliage. Then it is time to thin them out...by carefully regulated hunting. The meat does not go to waste.

The traps came in today. Very interesting design in the Duke Raccoon Foot trap. Very strong spring....I can now see why one needs a tool to help with the spring. Most certainly, Going to stop by the store and get some Marshmallows and set it over the weekend.

Oh...and I forgot to mention this..in my first post. The raccoons have torn out or opened the vent screen on the roof overhang at the back of the garage and made themselves a bigger opening by which to enter. Thus they can also bypass the cat door which they still on occasion use. I will have to repair it as I have repaired/replaced the cat door but in the mean time ..I am going to thin them out with something which will not trap the cats who also use the garage in bad weather. I have no intention of denying the cats the use of the garage by locking the cat door. The cats are not the intruders.
One of the cats likes to keep me company when I am out there reloading and I am glad to have her with me.

About the coyotes Ajax727...are they not capable of taking small children if left unattended out in the country and in the back yard??? Sort of like the gators coming up out of the water into the neighborhoods in Florida. Don't know much about Coyotes..but I imagine they are like many other animals in addition to being predators...They can be skillful opportunists....errrrrr....in like manner to a raccoon.
They too, like the wild pigs, are on the move and increase here in Virginia but you hear mostly stories about the wild pigs coming up from down south.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oErBslcsLp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Ij9kwfdxk

Gotta get ready to shove off.

My Thanks to all for their posts and information.
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby orangetom1999 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:35 pm

daaswampman wrote:Ajax: Locally there is no balance. Easy meals and destruction of habitat leads to bad habits. I have a red fox that eats the leftover cat food and just keeps eating while I watch her through the patio window. While I enjoy seeing them, dependence on us is not good for them.

If you can't secure your cat food from a coon, you have bigger problems than a coon. Swamp

Good point there Swamp.

I have a tendency to put the cat food out and go back in side. Sometimes the raccoons come up to the back porch and chase off the cats..or muscle in on the eats and hog it to themselves. I have to go out there and chase them off or the cats will not eat.

I've even had to put a large patio type brick on my trash can to keep them out of it. They are industrious so to speak.

I too enjoy seeing wildlife..the four legged kind..but agree..dependence on us is not good for them or in the long run...us.

Deer..ducks and their wee ones walking in line behind momma, snapping turtles, and of course rabbits coming through my yard. No problem I enjoy seeing them and leave them alone.
Even hawks and owls are making a comeback. Glad to see them.
Had a Hawk sitting on my fence when I backed my car into the parking spot. When I approached the hawk..he dropped the prey he had in his foot and flew off. I thought it was a a gray/brown rabbit..it turned out to be one of the neighborhood kittens. I don't hold that against the hawk for doing what hawks do.

But when they..unwanted animals.. get into and try to rearrange my garage...there I draw the line.
But you are correct...Swamp..I encouraged this kind of thing by not thinking about leaving the food out back for the cats...and my garage is separate and in back yard of the house. I am going to have to leave smaller portions..so that food does not sit around unsecured and encourage the raccoons.

I have concluded that trapping is way more efficient but did not know about this type of Duke foot trap until my friend across the river told me about them in a conversation on our two way radios the other night. This style of trap appears to be much more discriminating than the box trap or the textbook clam shell type spring trap I have out in my garage.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby daaswampman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Unless you are familiar with traps, I would start with a large Havahart or similar box trap. It is not as easy as it sounds and you might get your cats. Are you ready to kill them or pay the vet bills if you catch one? Ever try to take a live cat out of a trap? Ever try to deal with a neighbor that really likes their cats? A former neighbor tried and failed. Swamp
daaswampman

Next

Return to Trapping