• Advertisement

Trapping racoons

Post trapping topics here

Re: Trapping racoons

Postby ajax727 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:16 pm

To get a live animal out of a trap is a job . It will help to use a feedbag but a thick blanket will do the job . Wrap him up and watch out for the claws , they will bite you also and that is not good . If you have help you can use a pipe with a noose , just slide both ends of the rope through the pipe , try not to choke him to death .
The bad part about coons or other four legged pest is they tend to return for the free meal .Best of luck on the new trap hope it works and you get the pest under control . A 22 and sub bullets will also work .
Coon hash is good eaten , dress him out boll with an onion till meat falls off bones chop it up real fine with a couple of onions salt and pepper .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:46 am

Gentlemen,

I do not plan to take them out of the traps ...alive. I am well aware of how very angry and vicious can become a raccoon...and in particular...a trapped raccoon.

I plan to put them down with one behind the ear. Then ..once released from the trap..I plan to invert them into a large yard bag as we do in nuclear work.

Good grief...no way I am going to release a live angry/'frightened raccoon from a trap. I am pretty good at a lot of things...and can learn others..but I don't think I will push that boundary...or tempt such fates. I will happily give them that much respect...even when putting them down.

I should tell you that I made/fabricated a large trap from wood with a trigger stick in it and a sliding gate at the entrance. The prey enters and then tries to get to the bait behind the trigger stick and pushing the stick releases the gate.

This was all fine with the occasional possum or cats...but they are not raccoons. Raccoons I discovered will chew up the inside of such an wooden trap to get out. I've rebuilt it several times over the years. They are very determined little rascals.

Hence the metal cage box type trap..but it does not discriminate between the outside cats and any other animal.

Possums to my surprise...when I took off the wooden gate...would not come out in the day time. I left the possum in there with the gate off and only when night or evening came about ..did the possum leave. They do not seem to be as naturally aggressive as are raccoons.
I've seen raccoons turn aggressive on each other at the drop of a pin. And I mean from quiet to very very aggressive to set the others in the group straight...in the pecking order.
No..I wont be removing the foot from the trap when the raccoon is alive. Thanks.

Oh..by the way Ajax727..I did not think about .22 sub bullets. I do have somewhere buried in the garage some .22 shorts. But I plan to use a .22 air/pellet rifle up close. Thanks for reminding me. I do have a .22 pump which will handle .22 shorts, longs and long rifles. That is one of the main reasons I bought it ..it will take the whole gamut of .22 rimfires.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:21 am

We have one of the Havaheart traps it works pretty well.

Mom, had box traps when I was little and I was taught quickly to leave them alone in case there was a coon in
them. Coons are damn mean.

If I put food out its way in back of the house, we have stray cats I would leave the trash dumpster open so they
could eat scraps, hubby, doesn't like that but having them around helped keep the mice, rats, and voles down.
Here we are overpopulated with coyotes and deer. We see some rabbit tracks but don't know how many are
around.

I don't let my 60 pound dog out alone at night, I have seen a coyot run right past our back door. Some nights he
sniffs the air and won't go out. I stand at the back door and tell him its ok and he does his business but is back
in like a shot. When they get a kill out back, the howling and yipping is something else. During the day BJ will
go drag up deer bones from out back to chew on. Our cat is strictly indoor she only goes out on our screened in
back porch.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Have not tied out these two raccoon paw traps which came in the mail..though I did get a bag of marshmallows. They are tasty too.

I need to get some long rod to anchor in the ground as it is very wet and a longer anchor rod will be needed to secure the trap.

Will do that tomorrow.

I did go out briefly tonight once kick off time began. The grocery store and parking lot was significantly and noticeably empty. Ok by me. I am not watching the game...no interest in it.
The cashier told me it was a long busy day until kick off time.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby dademoss » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Marshmallows are good, and the ones I have trapped have had quite an appetite for freeze dried mealworms also :D
dademoss
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:13 am

Huh, speaking of removing pests.........
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:36 pm

follow up to the raccoon traps....

The Duke foot traps work very well.

I have thinned out my local bunch which amounted to some 8 raccoons before I finished.

I let it go for about two weeks and did not notice any getting into my garage.

Oh..by the way...my cat door on the garage has on it a manual lock and I can lock it but do not particularly care to thusly lock it and keep the cats out...particularly come winter time.

To my surprise...I believe in the absence of these raccoons...others have scouted the territory out...or are so doing.

I do not hear them carrying on up in the trees as did I before but to my surprise I caught some 10 more since the first batch. I just do not hear them carrying on as did I the first batch which seemed want to make this their territory. They can make quite a ruckus up in the trees and I have a very strong/bright flashlight and you can see their eyes in the trees at night. But I do not detect this nor the ruckus they make when established in what they think is their territory. Nonetheless I have caught an additional 10 more. I am thinking they are scouting out new territory/foraging...in the absence of the first batch.

Also tonight when I got finished mounting my new telescoping antenna mast for my 300 foot HF wire loop antenna..I took the opportunity to reload the traps (3) after putting away all my tools and gear. I will see early in the morning if I get any bites. I have a whole box of CCI CB caps...100 count.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby IceFire » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:28 pm

arkieready wrote:Huh, speaking of removing pests.........

Pest has been removed.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:00 am

caught three more this week....the last one when I came home from work last night.

They do not appear to be getting into my garage as previously they did..but they are still around.

I still think they are migrating through in the absence of the territorial scent of the others..or first batch of which I got rid of them.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby pavaprepper1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:38 am

I am a trapper and I have caught coons up the yen-yang in a cage trap. First you need to know the law what can you do and not do. The following are things in VA you need to have and know----first once you catch the coon in a cage trap how do you plan to dispatch it. If you don't have a nuience lic. you (can not transport a live animal ) anywhere. You (can not release that animal anywhere} except right on the spot where you catch it. Best bait to use is marshmellows , the smallones leading into the cage and a few larger ones in the back. Best thing thing to do is put food of any type in the house and or put a latch on cat door. By the way the dog proof will not catch dogs but will catch a cat,coon,opossum,skunks. And if the neighbor takes anything out of the trap (they just broke the law) call a game warden on them.
pavaprepper1

Postby BigOrange75 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:37 pm

Timely to see this topic come up today. We have a mostly outdoor cat that likes to sleep inside but for the past couple of weeks hasn't wanted to go out except a quick out and in when she can't hold it any longer. Didn't really think much of it till I noticed my paw paw tree that had been loaded with fruit was stripped bare. Put the cage trap out and in the past three days I have caught 2 coons and one of the biggest possums I ever saw. Don't know how many more I have but I haven't had any problems for the past 2-3 years and now they are back. No wonder the cat likes it better inside for a while. From the looks of her right ear must have tangled with one of them.
BigOrange75
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 pm

I had great success catching coons in my rabbit area with that have a heart and caned cat food. I was going after a Wiesel but kept getting coons
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Whisper » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Also, our local animal warden lends those traps out for free.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kappydell » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:44 am

We had a family of raccoons move into our attic while we were down South one winter. Marshmallows, two Havahart traps, and a .22 to the CPU took care of the issue. In our neighborhood, folks always shoot off fireworks, if anybody heard, I suspect that is what they thought the bangs were. Good fertilizer. But yes, laws vary, and although we loaned a trap to a neighbor who had problems, we declined removing them for him, as nuisance trappers we had the licenses (still do) but are required to relocate the animals; a silly requirement because who in their right mind wants someone else's varmint? But its required of commercial nuisance trappers in my area. So we stayed 'amateurs'.....
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Trapping