• Advertisement

Thoughts on I.N.C.H bag Ham Radio

Topics related HAM and Shortwave radio and emergency communication

Moderator: WornOut

Thoughts on I.N.C.H bag Ham Radio

Postby chrstiang » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm new to ham radios, been reading alot and watching alot of YT videos. I'll be getting my license in the near future. One of the BIGGEST overlooked preps is COMMS. I've been wanting a radio that is am/fm/sw/gmrs/ vhf/ uhf/ hf /ssb/ cw.

I know thats alot to ask for, specially in a small package and a INCH/ BUG OUT BAG. I've been thinking of getting the ELECRAFT KX3

Has anyone had any experience with this ham radio?
chrstiang

Re: Thoughts on I.N.C.H bag Ham Radio

Postby orangetom1999 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 am

That is a nice looking little rig. However the price tag shocked me.

For that price I would get a Yaesu FT 857 at 100 watts built in. Also has two meters, 440 MHZ and 6 meters built in. Power can be brought up or down from low power to 100 watts on HF.

But that is my thinking. You don't have to buy into that. I can get keyers of all types all day long.
The FT 857 is also very small/compact.

My .02,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby jreb721 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:43 am

Comms is a large subject when it comes to prepping. My suggestion is start cheap and simple and build up. FIrst make sure you have a simple am/fm radio and then go for a Shortwave with ssb. Remember in a emergency situation the most valuble item is intelligence. You will be receiving over 90% of the time. Who are you planning on talking to. Worry about receiving first and transmitting last. For the price of the new radio you could have a nice setup for reception and monitoring.
jreb721

Postby JerryTheViking » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:35 am

Concur with jreb721, receiving / listening will be VERY important. Being able to contact someone would require some pre-planning regarding COMSEC so that you don't give yourself away to those that would want what you have.
I have the mentioned Yaesu FT857D, and it is the backbone of my preps comms setup. An HT doesn't have the power or range for much other than local comms on VHF / UHF. The 857 is compact and fairly light, and will run off a motorcycle battery and a wire antenna of the right length for HF, and a simple roll up J-pole for VHF / UHF.
Be sure to protect your equipment from EMP or CME events, or else it will be worthless after that sort of an event.
Viking Heritage, Patriot Always!
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:21 am

jreb721 wrote:Comms is a large subject when it comes to prepping. My suggestion is start cheap and simple and build up. FIrst make sure you have a simple am/fm radio and then go for a Shortwave with ssb. Remember in a emergency situation the most valuble item is intelligence. You will be receiving over 90% of the time. Who are you planning on talking to. Worry about receiving first and transmitting last. For the price of the new radio you could have a nice setup for reception and monitoring.

I second that Jerry about what jreb posted. That is exactly the path I have taken over the years. Reception first...then transmission. But transmission with careful thought to expense and also bulk...carrying/transporting difficulties. Both in budget and practicality the KISS principle applies here...Keep It Simple Stupid."

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby snevircvirc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:25 am

Very good information
snevircvirc

Return to Emergency Communications