• Advertisement

Passed the Tech class last night!

General HAM Radio topics. A great place for both experienced operators and for newbies to get started and ask questions

Passed the Tech class last night!

Postby eochief66 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:41 am

I am taking the tech course given by a local club. Two weeks ago I started taking the practice tests on line. Most of the questions I was getting wrong were from the first few chapters of the book, I wasn't retaining it very long! I called the instructor and asked him to set me up for the exam in two weeks as I didn't want to wait until the course was done. I had already finished the book on my own. I restudied the first few chapters and took the test last night and passed it.
Now I need to decide on a radio!
eochief66
New York Preppers Network

Re: Passed the Tech class last night!

Postby dademoss » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Congrats on the new ticket !!

The radio will depend on your area and activity, my area has some active 2 meter, and a little activity on 70 cm. My base is a 2 meter Kenwood for the local nets.

There is a triband that a couple of guys in my area have ordered to try out, but results are not yet in : http://amzn.to/1qKwEat

For an HT, the Baofeng UV-5R+ is pretty popular: http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dua ... B0097252UK
dademoss
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby eochief66 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks, still deliberating on which radio to start with.
I am looking at the Yaesu 60r HT or the Yaesu FT 7900 against a Kenwood TM v71a.
eochief66

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:10 pm

Something I lack having much knowledge about, but I was told that connections are better, clearer, and farther distance with clear skies and at night, much like the old AM radio radio stations before FM radio was introduced and widely used. Back in the 1960s I could pick up KOMA in Oklahoma City form west. Mont. on AM radio at night but reception faded in and out through out the night. KOMA back then was at 50,000 watts broadcast power strength. Not sure where on the dial it was. Have a cousin in Calif. who has a HAM radio with a pretty tall antenna. He says at times he can talk with people on different continents as well. I don't know much about costs for a set up, FCC license etc. either. I think a friend has one, but if so, I have never seen the radio, only the antenna at his house. :-)
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby eochief66 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:06 pm

A little update.
I settled on the Yaesu FT-7900 for my mobile and also bought a Yaesu ft-60 HT. I spent the summer getting acquainted with the radio's.
Decided to get a 2m base, got another duel band FT-7900. I also got a Diamond duel band antenna. It is up about 34' and works ok, wish I could get it higher.
I am in the process of studying for my General, I hope to take the test sometime in March or April.
eochief66

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:15 am

eochief66 wrote:A little update.
I settled on the Yaesu FT-7900 for my mobile and also bought a Yaesu ft-60 HT. I spent the summer getting acquainted with the radio's.
Decided to get a 2m base, got another duel band FT-7900. I also got a Diamond duel band antenna. It is up about 34' and works ok, wish I could get it higher.
I am in the process of studying for my General, I hope to take the test sometime in March or April.

eochief66,

Congratulations on your ticket as well as your choice of radios. Also congrats on your decision to advance to General Class. Quite correct on spending the summer becoming familiar with your radios. This prepares you for operating an HF type rig.

Moving to General Class is as big a step as was deciding to get your Technician ticket...to get you into the HF bands. A quantum leap...but don't let that discourage you. Just know the material from the books or on line and you will do fine.

Keep up the good work.

A very 73 to you and your house,

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby eochief66 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:30 pm

I passed my General exam last week. Waiting for the spring to get a hf rig and decide what type of antenna will work best for my requirements.
eochief66

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:06 am

eochief66 wrote:I passed my General exam last week. Waiting for the spring to get a hf rig and decide what type of antenna will work best for my requirements.

Yeah..Eochief66....way back when I passed the general and the advanced test in the same session... I too did not even have an HF rig on which to operate my newly earned license privileges. I took me some 11 months to save enough to save for my first HF radio...a Yaesu FT 890. I still have it.

Congratulations on passing the General class....and catch you eventually on the bands.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Return to HAM Radio Open Discussions