• Advertisement

Problem w/chicken-killing neighbor dogs

Livestock discussions including other discussions such as poultry, fish farms and beekeeping.

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Problem w/chicken-killing neighbor dogs

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:16 pm

In most places a sling shot can be considered as, or interpreted as a deadly weapon simply because a blow to the head can cause a blunt force brain injury that could result in death when the target is human. That is what the local laws read in my location. I have 2 Wrist Rockets. I use toy glass marbles as projectiles. (ammo) :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby sageprice » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Brambles and wild roses against humans, plant them on the property line. Ten foot in barb wire electric fence. Check local Ag for proper restrictions. you have livestock you are a farmer.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby anita » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:42 pm

sageprice wrote:Brambles and wild roses against humans, plant them on the property line. Ten foot in barb wire electric fence. Check local Ag for proper restrictions. you have livestock you are a farmer.

But the chickens may not be considered livestock.

Our township has no restrictions on chickens, as they are considered pets, as long as we don't sell eggs and only have a few. If your local municipality considers chickens as pets, then you can't really claim they're livestock, because they may not permit livestock within your zoning area. I would check the local ordinances before I went that route.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi Fussy. :shakeyes: :thumbup: :D It's great to hear that you got a wrist rocket. :D Were you able to get marbles or steel ball ammo too? When I practice, my targets are at a distance of: about 40 ft. closer if out of practice. Say 25 or 30 ft. :) I set up a back stop to stops the ammo and I lay a board across 2 objects..one under each end and then stand empty beverage cans or plastic bottles on the board and space them about a foot apart. :) If the wind is blowing, I might put a little bit of water or dirt or small gravel in them to keep them in place. :| When I either run out of ammo or finish practice, I gather up the used ammo and use it again the next time I practice. :| If you target practice regularly with your Wrist Rocket you will get very good at it. I have even used mine to hunt "Fool Hens" during upland game bird hunting season. It is good for close range rabbits, squirrels, and other small game and non game mammals. Skunks, raccoons, porcupines etc. but usually only a head shot will kill. :) Once you hit one of the neighbors' dogs in your yard with a good slug with your Wrist rocket I doubt if they will come back into your yard. :| They will tend to remember the pain from being hit and if they see th slingshot when you shoot them with it, they will always associate as a cause of pain. :| It might be the only thing you need to purchae or use. :| You may not need the electric fence or anything else. :) :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby handyman777 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:21 am

Wrist rockets can be fairly dangerous !! and have some power.

I know !!! When I was about 12 years old, I almost blew a hole in the back of my fathers garage at about 20 FT.
Splintered the HECK out of the exit hole. :shock: Oh poop !!!
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby donba » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Fussy; was there a 10 day waiting period, or did you have to register the wrist rocket ? Do not forget to stock pile ammo for it, or to buy spare parts.
donba

Postby handyman777 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:32 pm

I use 3/8 nuts (you know--- nuts and bolts) they fit perfect in the (pouch ?), I can get them by the 1000's .
Box's of 5000's, over stock, scrap !!!
I got my ammo...!!!
handyman777

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Hit a machine shop and ask for old ball bearings. You might have to get greasy and dig a few out of old bearing sets but it will give you free ammo of various sized steel ball bearings.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Suncat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:15 am

We have a low (4ft?) cyclone fence across the back of our property. When we needed it higher we found the cheapest solution was tall T posts with a 4ft section of mesh wire at the top of them raising our fence to about 8ft. And wasn't horribly expensive.
Suncat

"Real feminine nature isn't weak or fawning. It isn't about wearing frilly dresses or reading romance novels.
Real femininity is strong, confident, vibrant. But it is strong, confident and vibrant in a uniquely feminine way.
~Mary Beth Bonacci
Suncat

Postby oldasrocks » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:26 pm

A crazy idea.Remember those popper things that go BANG when you pull the strings? They should be available at fireworks stand.
String a few of those in line with regular string and when the dogs hit the fence they would POP.
oldasrocks

Postby SonyaCarmody » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:11 am

Yeah true. I agree with this.
SonyaCarmody

Postby Roscoe » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:48 pm

I see this post is a few months old, not sure youve found your solution yet but I can share a personal experience.....our neighbor dogs would run the fence and chase my horses. We lowered the bottom rail to 18"....those suckers hit that bottom rail and you hear snap crack then yipe yipe yipe. They didnt do it more than 2x. Seeing how your in a city location tho the electric fence wont work Im sure. We used to shoot the neighbor dogs with BB guns. That kept them away after 2x. Im all in for the paintball gun for sure! Im not sure they have an outside version....but have you seen those christmas tree skirts that zap the dog/cat when they try to get near the xmas tree....maybe something like that you could lay on the ground? Wish i had a great answer for you. Good luck!! Keep us posted by the way, interested in hearing what you decided to do!
Roscoe

Postby SF Trooper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Have you considered a tractor? If you aren't familiar with it, it's a movable run that usually has two wheels in back, and handles in front. You move it like a travois or like walking with a wheelbarrow behind you. A tractor keeps the chickens protected from predators - including your neighbor's dogs, and still allows you to let them eat any ticks or other insects in your yard. You move it only every day or two.

You'll likely have to increase your chicken feed supplement if they were relying mostly on insects before. The cost increase is very low, and you get excellent security for your birds.

SF Trooper
SF Trooper

Postby danthman114 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm

hamburger balls mixed with rat poison will stop them
danthman114

Postby John Galt 1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Old thread,,, but I'd vote for several warnings to the dog's owner, then a rifle.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

PreviousNext

Return to Livestock and more