• Advertisement

Oxygen absorbers vs chamber vacuuming.

Vacuum Sealer discussions

Oxygen absorbers vs chamber vacuuming.

Postby FiatCurrency_1913 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Dear people,

I'm only a novice when it comes to prepping, but I noticed almost all of you use oxygen absorbers with mylar bags (or mason jars with a vacuum mouth device) to store dry foods. I happend to have a professional chamber vacuum machine and when I vacuum dry foods, like rice, wheat or beans in mylar bags, it becomes hard like a rock and you can reach up to 99.8% vacuum inside the mylar bag. My question is: does this also happen with oxygen absorbers added to a nearly sealed mylar bag? Or is the achieved vacuum much less this way? Thx!
FiatCurrency_1913

Re: Oxygen absorbers vs chamber vacuuming.

Postby catfeet » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:51 pm

O2 absorbers work by absorbing the available oxygen in the vessel and changing its chemical state. They do not create a true vacuum as they do not absorb co2 or nitrogen, let alone any of the other trace gasses.

If you have the equipment to create a true vacuum and also seal the vessel, go for it. I'd test drive it, though, and make sure it will last as long as you are expecting it to. Alternately, test check thru your stored items on a yearly basis, as doing a 20 or 30 year test would be impractical.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby donba » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:32 pm

We don't store wheat but have some flower and corn in 1/2 gallon jars, Frozen for 48 hours, vacuumed, and an o2 absorbers in each. We check a jar each year so far OK. I think preps need to be checked on a regular bases, like I charge all my batteries every Jan. As the boss lady tells me go for it,it keeps you out of the bars….
donba

Postby Murby » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:46 pm

FiatCurrency_1913 wrote:Dear people,

I'm only a novice when it comes to prepping, but I noticed almost all of you use oxygen absorbers with mylar bags (or mason jars with a vacuum mouth device) to store dry foods. I happend to have a professional chamber vacuum machine and when I vacuum dry foods, like rice, wheat or beans in mylar bags, it becomes hard like a rock and you can reach up to 99.8% vacuum inside the mylar bag. My question is: does this also happen with oxygen absorbers added to a nearly sealed mylar bag? Or is the achieved vacuum much less this way? Thx!

I also use a profession level vacuum.. not a chamber however, but a rotary vane evacuation pump for refrigeration systems.. My vacuum reaches north of 29 inHg which is far far better than any foodsaver can do...

When we vacuum pack Mylar bags, we shove in an O2 absorber, then apply heavy vacuum.. You could clobber someone in the head and kill them with a Mylar bag of rice.. its as hard as a rock.

Be careful with foods that have pointy or sharp edges though.. they can poke holes in the mylar. When we do pasta, we pre-pack the pasta in ziplock freezer bags (but don't zip lock them).. this protects the Mylar pretty well..
Murby

Return to Vacuum Sealing