• Advertisement

Supermarket Sweep - Prepper style

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Re: Supermarket Sweep - Prepper style

Postby rj5156 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:00 pm

Love this Angie! Coming in late in the game so I benefit from others thoughts of course.

We have a walmart now so I'll go with what they offer.

Sugar, salt, coffee, lard, tobacco products, reading glasses, lye.

All OTC meds available, high proof drinking alcohol, peroxide, bleach, dental supplies.

Ammunition, knives, fishing line and hooks, refillable lighters and fluid.

Sea sponges, durable fabrics, thread, needles and GOOD scissors.

Solar lights, head lamps, rechargable batteries to fit both.

Glues, tapes, ropes and wires.

Powdered baby formula, milk, gatorade.

Peanut butter, butter, cheese, soap concentrate, oils.

I would fill in with seeds, small hand tools, canning lids, nail clippers, tweezers, small mirrors.

If any more could be crammed in, dry fruit, beans, rice and other grains, peppers and spices that do not grow here.

We actually do the bulk of our shopping in an annual trip. We can pack a cart tighter and higher than anyone I've ever seen. I am presuming having my hubby with me, we shop with a list, a route and an order of operation for loading it all.

Taking it in the spirit offered here. This all represents wealth in the form of the most useful barter items I can think of. We are well-supplied for our own needs at this point. I would not pass up some fresh produce though!
rj5156

Postby jimLE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:26 am

can i take my mom with me,so she can grab a cart as well?? LOL..
my first stop would be camping and sporting goods section.the little propane bottles.the heater that goes on them.large tent,camp shower and camp toilet.bows arrows.fire arms and ammo.paracord.then head over to the pharmacy for pain meds and first aid supplies.right along with anything else needed from there.then on to kitchen supplies.and if i still have any room left.garden supplies.all of that while mom is getting the foods thats needed.. :D
jimLE

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:03 am

jimLE wrote:can i take my mom with me,so she can grab a cart as well?? LOL..
my first stop would be camping and sporting goods section.the little propane bottles.the heater that goes on them.large tent,camp shower and camp toilet.bows arrows.fire arms and ammo.paracord.then head over to the pharmacy for pain meds and first aid supplies.right along with anything else needed from there.then on to kitchen supplies.and if i still have any room left.garden supplies.all of that while mom is getting the foods thats needed.. :D

only if the situation allows it - you might be needed to safe guard anyone that's with you - definitely safe guard moving the cart of goods to your vehicle .... think 3 man teams - two inside and a guy with the vehicle in full combat mode - don't ever think that looting will be limited to inside the store ...

think Black Friday frenzy on steroids - you got lucky enough to get the last Christmas toy craze off the shelf into your cart - but there's 5 guys willing to fight you getting to the check out counter - that's last minute shopping in a nutshell ...

re-think your Big Box store strategy ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby beachbrratt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Late again to the game. I would go to Walmart. I'd start by going to the trash can isle and getting the big one like most trash companies use. Set in the cart it has to hold more than the cart itself and since I'm already in the home repair isle I'd grab as many rolls of Gorilla tape that they had. Now I'd head to the Auto parts area and grab as many 2-cycle and other various oils and chains for chain saws that will fit under the cart and tape them in. Then onto the outdoor dept. Grab all the guns, ammo, fishing line and hooks now off to the pharmacy area where I'd grab hygiene products, vitamins, pain reliever, pepto, fiber and pharmaceuticals. Now over to the canned meat isle to get all the canned meat (note that the trash can probably still has a third of the original space left) then over to the alcohol isle to snatch up plenty of whiskey (yes to trade mostly) get some trash bags and TP which will probably have to be taped on top) and on the way out at check out, I'd grab all the lighters, lighter fluid, beef jerky, candy and whatever else will fit into the space behind the trash can. Make no mistake, I can pack like no ones business. Those that know how to pack can fit a box in a circle or make room out of a 1 foot hole to fit a 1 1/2 foot item.
beachbrratt
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby angie_nrs » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:15 pm

I've come to another conclusion........Ya'll are CHEATERS! :floppytongue:

There were basically 3 rules:
* you get one cart
* you get 30 minutes
* you have to go to a Supermarket (not a Sams club or WM or Lowes, etc.)

I'm not trying to be the Supermarket Sweep cop, but sometimes it pays to think inside the box or within a certain set of rules. The reasoning was based off the title......SUPERMARKET SWEEP. Some of you may not be familiar with that game, but it took place in a Supermarket. The contestants had an idea of exactly what they were going to do before the game even started b/c they had worked on their strategy beforehand. That's basically what I was going for. Their goal was to get the most pricey items.......Your goal was to think about what grocery store items you would want in your cart for the long haul with price not really being a consideration. The point was to think about what your local market (Krogers, Aldi, Piggly Wiggly, etc) would have on the shelves that you would be interested in on a quick last minute shopping spree since most people don't think of a supermarket being their last shopping trip.

There are already lots of threads on APN about what you would buy if SHTF in a big box store. I was trying to avoid that particular conversation and put an interesting twist on it. Buying ammo at WM around here would take you at least half of your allotted time as there's not always workers around to help you get into the case. Same thing with the WM pharmacy.....you'd be waiting a good long time to get your prescriptions, especially since they may not have been called in previously. Plus our WM is very large......you only have 30 minutes to get your stuff and get to the checkout. That's not a whole lot of time. Time yourself the next time you go shopping and see how long it takes you to get your basic weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly supplies.

What i really wanted to know was what would you get at your grocery store? Have you thought about it? Perhaps this discussion might encourage you to get some items off that list so you don't have to worry about it later......and leave room for other things you could put in that last cart. :shakeyes: How about that last banana, orange, bag of cashews, chocolate bar, etc.?? What??? No more chocolate?? :nervous:
angie_nrs

Postby daaswampman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:33 pm

There were basically 3 rules:
* you get one cart
* you get 30 minutes
* you have to go to a Supermarket (not a Sams club or WM or Lowes, etc.)

Thanks for the tip! That cart may come in handy! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:44 am

:D The cart was on my list too.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby angie_nrs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Ack! I can't get this thread out of my head!!! :shock: :eek:

I have again edited my list. All of these items have limited shelf life so that's why I have a last minute list. Due to this thread I have shored up some other items mentioned that either have a longer shelf life or are too bulky to worry about last minute.

So here's my new list:

nuts
raisins
powdered milk
chocolate bars
string cheese
block cheese (wax coated)
butter
baking yeast
cooking oil
candy
knorr pasta sides
canned chicken
canned stew
Powdered baby formula
vitamins
dried fruit
protein bars
certo/sure jell
bleach

If time or room permitted, again I'd swing thru the pharmacy area and also swipe any fresh veges sitting at the checkout as well. Hmmmmm......good thing there's lots of candy there too! :floppytongue:
angie_nrs

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:09 pm

angie_nrs wrote:Ack! I can't get this thread out of my head!!! :shock: :eek:

I have again edited my list. All of these items have limited shelf life so that's why I have a last minute list. Due to this thread I have shored up some other items mentioned that either have a longer shelf life or are too bulky to worry about last minute.

So here's my new list:

nuts
raisins
powdered milk
chocolate bars
string cheese
block cheese (wax coated)
butter
baking yeast
cooking oil
candy
knorr pasta sides
canned chicken
canned stew
Powdered baby formula
vitamins
dried fruit
protein bars
certo/sure jell
bleach

If time or room permitted, again I'd swing thru the pharmacy area and also swipe any fresh veges sitting at the checkout as well. Hmmmmm......good thing there's lots of candy there too! :floppytongue:

I'd start stocking calcium hypochlorite (pool shock) instead of the limiting bleach ...

if stored using proper long term methods dried fruits, powdered milk, pasta, cheese, butter and some candies can last at least a decade or longer ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby AuntBee » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:23 pm

My first thought was to raid Swamp's Cartel and Emporium, but then I remembered the 'gator guards.

This is a fun game. I tried to get myself out of prepper mindset and go for comfort items. Things that might not have a long shelf life, but that's okay because you figure you'd consume or barter those things in short order. About half successful.

First the cart. Since you only have one, you want to make sure to get one of those big old metal ones, not those new plastic things that they made skinnier to fit down narrow aisles full of paralyzed shoppers who stop dead in the middle of the bread row.

First stop, case of beer (bottles), six packs of Coke, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper. Big bag of dry cat food that I'm too cheap to buy usually. That would probably mostly fill up bottom rack. While I'm there, a few catnip toys and the froofy gourmet cat food that her majesty prefers. (No, it's not all about the cat.)*

I'd also get some baby formula and rice cereal, just in case. Hard candy, chocolate bars, chocolate chips, brownie mix, baking powder, extra oil, spices like vanilla beans, whole nutmeg, peppercorns, cloves, mixed spices like lemon pepper, Adobo. Truvia, coffee coffee coffee (whole beans). Jello and pudding mixes.

Kitchen scissors, ice cube trays, paper plates, bowls, and cups. Batteries, flashlights, lamp oil, still more matches and disposible lighters. Surf wax for coating cheese.

Hard cheese. Eggs. More cheese.

Peroxide, Rubbing alcohol, vitamins, protein powder, disposable razors. Puzzle books, coloring books, trashy romances.

The problem I see here is that I'm counting on my shopping cart being bottomless, like Mary Poppins' satchel. And overestimating my ability to get all that stuff in the time alotted.

I'd take the cart, too, though. :thumbsup:

Aunt Bee
*The cat, of course, thinks differently
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Siskiyoumom » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Meat aisle:
Roasts, premium bacon and jerky. Six BBQ rubs. 5 minutes
Condiment aisle:
oils, salts, vinegars, mustards. 4minutes
Wine/spirits aisle:
Porto, rum, vodka 5minutes
Dairy aisle:
Premium hard cheeses,butter 3 minutes
Spice aisle:
Saffron, vanilla beans, cumin, hot peppers 3 minutes
Produce aisle:
ginger root, mushrooms, garlic, assorted fresh herbs 3 minutes

Reasoning: It is a contest, expensive cuts of meat etc.

All the items can be used to prep for long term use as well as wee bit for fresh eating and relaxing.

We do not plan on a last minute run to the store in a real disaster.

We will make do with our meager stores because our motto is make do or do without.

Living on a pension means you budget and staunch out of debt the best you can.
Siskiyoumom

Previous

Return to General Family Preparedness