• Advertisement

your neighbors will be looters (or dead)

Ask survival related questions here

Re: your neighbors will be looters (or dead)

Postby danthman114 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:59 am

slanted wrote:if shtf, that is. So becoming friendly with them will probably be a waste of time. they are likely to come knocking (or sniping) if shtf, or bring you a contagious disease. So it's best that they dont know of your presence. Avoid being out in daylight, making noise, leaving "sign", having a fire during daylight hours, or having food in your dugout.

after reading through your various posts on various threads I can see you plan on a lot of shooting. you do know the human body needs sunlight right? have you thought that you are the type that people would get rid of? think about it, if something really bad happened where its a free for all, that normal people would form communities/clans/tribes for protection and for basic survival because people need other people. basic fact of life. from what I gather from your posts is that you would shoot someone in cold blood from a hidden location for simply being at a water source, correct? do yourself a favor and get some friends and don't turn into smeagol from lord of the rings. come out of your spider holes and have alittle faith in humanity. who knows maybe one of your neighbors will save your life one day... or maybe they wont...
danthman114

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:15 am

danthman114 wrote:
slanted wrote:if shtf, that is. So becoming friendly with them will probably be a waste of time. they are likely to come knocking (or sniping) if shtf, or bring you a contagious disease. So it's best that they dont know of your presence. Avoid being out in daylight, making noise, leaving "sign", having a fire during daylight hours, or having food in your dugout.

after reading through your various posts on various threads I can see you plan on a lot of shooting. you do know the human body needs sunlight right? have you thought that you are the type that people would get rid of? think about it, if something really bad happened where its a free for all, that normal people would form communities/clans/tribes for protection and for basic survival because people need other people. basic fact of life. from what I gather from your posts is that you would shoot someone in cold blood from a hidden location for simply being at a water source, correct? do yourself a favor and get some friends and don't turn into smeagol from lord of the rings. come out of your spider holes and have alittle faith in humanity. who knows maybe one of your neighbors will save your life one day... or maybe they wont...

Ah. A long ago, very amusing post, the OP that is.

If I recall correctly Slanted was also Irdly who was the original Spider People.

Thank you for resurrecting these threads Dan.
Good for a laugh.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby danthman114 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:44 am

Oh hell, I didn't look at the dates. I spotted one of his posts in another thread that kinda jumped out. I looked at his profile and read around a bit. I wonder if he is the same guy who says he's going to use a suppressed 22 with night vision and shoot anyone within range. Anyway, I get a laugh out of folks like that who seem to think everything is going to be a constant shootout. The same type who would be carrying a thousand rounds on person for some major battle... All by his lonesome.
danthman114

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:10 pm

danthman114 wrote:Oh hell, I didn't look at the dates. I spotted one of his posts in another thread that kinda jumped out. I looked at his profile and read around a bit. I wonder if he is the same guy who says he's going to use a suppressed 22 with night vision and shoot anyone within range. Anyway, I get a laugh out of folks like that who seem to think everything is going to be a constant shootout. The same type who would be carrying a thousand rounds on person for some major battle... All by his lonesome.

I believe you are correct, i.e. the same individual who claims all you need is a M4, with a .22LR conversion, and a suppressor and shoot everyone with NVGs.
If I recall correctly, that same M4 can make outstanding sniper shots out to one thousand yards too.

Someone else here thinks they have seen him post on other forums, same tactics, spider holes, etc.
I wonder if he got banned from those forums too.

I have a co-worker who also is of the "It is going to go down like this!" mindset. He has a answer or counter to any argument or idea not fitting within his very narrow parameters of ". . . how things are going to go down!"
A good laugh is right.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby danthman114 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 pm

yeah I enjoy talking to those people. especially at the shooting range...
the ones who brag about how fast they are or how far they can shoot then when you throw out a friendly challenge to ring steel at the 1000 yard range that sits about a hundred yards down the road. excuses galore why they cant when they have the rifle with them... lol
danthman114

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:49 pm

danthman114 wrote:yeah I enjoy talking to those people. especially at the shooting range...
the ones who brag about how fast they are or how far they can shoot then when you throw out a friendly challenge to ring steel at the 1000 yard range that sits about a hundred yards down the road. excuses galore why they cant when they have the rifle with them... lol

Dan,
Do know my co-worker? :blink: :D

v/r
CI
Cast Iron

Postby danthman114 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:16 pm

you lost me cast iron... do I know your co-worker?
danthman114

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 pm

danthman114 wrote:you lost me cast iron... do I know your co-worker?

I apologies I was not clear.

My one co-worker talks a lot about shooting, name dropping, price dropping, buzz words, numbers, and his custom Remington 700, and Nightforce scope.
But when we invite him to join us for a fun shoot, he sounds like just as you described above. Always an excuse of some kind.
Sounded like you could have met him.
Cast Iron

Postby danthman114 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:04 pm

lol, yeah, gun store commandos or mall ninjas...
danthman114

Postby JayJay » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Topics like this always remind me of Gene's friend's reply when Gene asked if he stored supplies/food--he said, why?? I know how to hunt!!
How irresponsible for a man, husband, father, provider to respond.......LIKE EVERY OTHER FATHER, PROVIDER hasn't the same idea?
Gee...common sense...gone for some. Which is why most stockpilers will stay inside for 6 months until the idiots will kill themselves or die off from hunger.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:29 pm

danthman114 wrote:lol, yeah, gun store commandos or mall ninjas...

Quite.

One of the more interesting observations I have made of the gun store commandos or mall ninjas is:

1) They will alway survive whatever calamity may strike.

2) As in my co-workers background, he will lead the survivors into a new utopia society, generally based around his ideas, despite having no background in military leadership, or even any kind of real world management or logistics experience or skills.

I shall not pretend otherwise; I would more likely shoot my loud mouth, braggart co-worker in the face at the onset of a SHTF situation than to allow him to live and spread his moronic ideas.

I do believe I would be doing the world at large a favor.
Cast Iron

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:39 pm

JayJay wrote:Topics like this always remind me of Gene's friend's reply when Gene asked if he stored supplies/food--he said, why?? I know how to hunt!!
How irresponsible for a man, husband, father, provider to respond.......LIKE EVERY OTHER FATHER, PROVIDER hasn't the same idea?
Gee...common sense...gone for some. Which is why most stockpilers will stay inside for 6 months until the idiots will kill themselves or die off from hunger.

It is to my belief to have a varying assets of food stuff on hand. A well stocked pantry with months of staples.
But to augment, some kind of long term storage items, be it dry goods, canned goods, and the like.

MREs and other freeze dried foods have their place, but not for serious long term survival.

That is where some of the old world preservation and storage techniques need to come into play.
Great if you take a deer.
Can you process and store the meat to last you for six months without the advantage of modern refrigeration? If not, you are wasting meat and spending a lot of time hunting.
Cast Iron

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:13 pm

Even if you can take and store the deer it won't be long before the deer are hunted out.
We live in a fairly rural area with a fair number of deer and rabbits but I wouldn't expect them to last more than a few months but we do have some ability to butcher and preserve.

As for the OP since we are in a fairly rural area with a bit of farming and cows in the area I suspect most people would play nice depending more on trade than the gun. I doubt everybody in the larger area (small town a few miles away) has a useful skill set or cows/food to trade but I'm comfortable in the neighbors within a mile to be able to get by at least for a good while using trade. Still, we plan to play "the grey man" to minimize attracting attention and do have some ability to defend if required.

If groups of stealing people from the city did make it out here I could see the community banding together to protect the area but since I'm a few miles outside the small town we probably wouldn't be inside the protected area.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby ajax727 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:20 am

Those long range shooters who say they can drive nails at 1000 yards are fun to listen to and like others know they are full of it . It is not easy to hit a target at that range , it took me a long long time to hit a target at that range using a 30 06 , heck I could not even hit a 4 x 8 target back then but with a lot of help from a couple of fellows off FT. Bragg I learned to .
About the neighbors being looters around here most of them want be, being rural most have food and supplies on hand .If or when things get real bad most of us will pull together and act as one to help each other but there will be few that will be removed because they are just useless .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:23 pm

John Galt 1 wrote:Even if you can take and store the deer it won't be long before the deer are hunted out.
We live in a fairly rural area with a fair number of deer and rabbits but I wouldn't expect them to last more than a few months but we do have some ability to butcher and preserve.

As for the OP since we are in a fairly rural area with a bit of farming and cows in the area I suspect most people would play nice depending more on trade than the gun. I doubt everybody in the larger area (small town a few miles away) has a useful skill set or cows/food to trade but I'm comfortable in the neighbors within a mile to be able to get by at least for a good while using trade. Still, we plan to play "the grey man" to minimize attracting attention and do have some ability to defend if required.

If groups of stealing people from the city did make it out here I could see the community banding together to protect the area but since I'm a few miles outside the small town we probably wouldn't be inside the protected area.

Perhaps your area is different from mine.
But if me and my neighbors go through all of our livestock to include cows, goats, sheep, hogs, chickens and me, ducks and rabbits in such a short order to depopulate the local deer and wild rabbit population, we have serious issues.

One of my first courses of action (COA), would be to reach out to my neighbors and establish a breeding program.

A second or third COA would be to establish a game management program. Any responsible hunter would know the value of game conservation.

I know some would vehemently object or even severely criticize me (Slanted or Irdly come to mind), but I would offer up whatever extra or that which I can not use before it goes bad to my neighbors.
Better to make them friends or allies vs antagonists or possible enemies. Let them see me as an asset vs a foe.
Cast Iron

PreviousNext

Return to Survival Q & A