• Advertisement

woman who trekked 26 miles in the snow through the Grand Can

Discuss general wilderness survival topics here

Moderator: medic72

woman who trekked 26 miles in the snow through the Grand Can

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:31 am

How rescuers found Karen Klein, the woman who trekked 26 miles in the snow through the Grand Canyon

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-gra ... story.html

Thoughts on this?
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Re: woman who trekked 26 miles in the snow through the Grand

Postby Blondie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:43 pm

"I'll follow my GPS no matter where it takes me. Even if it means overriding my common sense".

Husband & son stay with car. Easier to spot. Get rescued sooner. Wait at warm hospital for heroic triathelete mom.

Since it appears no one reported them missing, the park service must have come across the stuck vehicle.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby IceFire » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:28 pm

The father was able to hike to a higher spot, where he could get cell phone service. That led to him and the child being rescued, and triggered the search for the mom. They were VERY lucky...things could have turned out VERY differently (and fatally.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:42 pm

@ Blondie and IceFire: Thank you for your observations and input.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Gunns » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:04 am

Had a buddy last year went back packing in Northern Mn. He broke his leg and had to back track 15 miles by himself to get a cell signal.

If you haven't camped in Northern Mn then you may not understand how serious this was.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:00 pm

I saw it, and was actually talking to my wife about it yesterday morning. I was explaining that it was a good example of why i put some of the things in the "get home bags" i gave her and my daughter for Christmas. That could have been a lot worse for them. I also wondered about the husband. What the heck is with him, that at first he stays with the kid and lets his wife hike for help?
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby danthman114 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:01 pm

This reminds me of a mother and daughter up in the Sierras some years back that decided to get off of hwy 395 in a blizzard to take the old road to be safer. Well they got stranded and because it's the old road it wasn't traveled as much the daughter then decided it was also a good idea to walk to find help... In a blizzard... They found her frozen when the weather cleared. The mom was safe because she stayed with the car... Some people should have stayed in LA...
danthman114

Postby IceFire » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:00 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:I saw it, and was actually talking to my wife about it yesterday morning. I was explaining that it was a good example of why i put some of the things in the "get home bags" i gave her and my daughter for Christmas. That could have been a lot worse for them. I also wondered about the husband. What the heck is with him, that at first he stays with the kid and lets his wife hike for help?

She decided that she should be the one to go, as she is a triathlete, and was in better physical shape than her husband, so would have the best chance of being able to get through.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Scoutmaster » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:25 pm

That is where A ham radio with HF included would work well, using 40 or 80 meters you could contact someone with in a few hundred miles and relay quickly your location. With no one leaving the car or may be even out of gas. Hams respond quickly to emergency's.
Communications is very often one of the forgotten legs of Preping.

Unlike cell phones and many other forms of communications, With a HF radio there is always something open for contact it might be 800 miles away but can quickly be relayed back to your location. Countless numbers of emergency's have been responded to much like this one from long distances that where quickly responded to.
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster

Return to Wilderness Survival