• Advertisement

JANUARY 2017 - What did you do to prep this week/month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: JANUARY 2017 - What did you do to prep this week/month?

Postby sageprice » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Shoveled out chicken coop. Put poop in raised beds and planted garlic in it. I've already done potato barrels.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Mountain mama » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm

sageprice wrote:Shoveled out chicken coop. Put poop in raised beds and planted garlic in it. I've already done potato barrels.

Been busy! Great job!!
Mountain mama

Postby NJMike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 am

This weekend I took advantage of a KMart store closing sale. Picked up a portable butane stove, some batteries, first aid and bicycle repair items. I was also looking there for a deep cycle battery for my 2017 solar project, but no luck.

Also attended a natural cordage workshop and learned a bit more than I knew beforehand about natural fibers and braiding them into rope.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Spent the day today pounding in T-posts and expanding the fencing to include the new garden area. Had to pull up some of the old thinner t-posts (others were broken, due to the wind) and move the existing fencing from the back of the original garden area to incorporate the new area; then wired on additional fencing (the old fencing from the corral that we'd had to replace because the horses were SITTING on it and pulling it down) to finish the area. Husband used the backhoe on the tractor to remove the two mesquite stumps I found while working. Only thing left to do now is to add in the additional "rabbit guard" fencing to the bottom where I had run out, and to use one of the old, broken t-posts on the loose section to make a gate. (I left a 14-foot wide space so that we can drive the tractor in or a truck with building supplies for building the greenhouses. The space is currently temporarily closed with the overlapping wire fencing, but it needs a post at the end so that I can secure the closure but still open it easily when needed.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby IceFire » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:30 pm

After getting home from work today, finished putting the rabbit guard on the garden fence. Now I just need to get the post on the end of the "gate" so that I can secure it.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RayMac1963 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:42 pm

I gave up on my weight set and moved it. That freed up a lot of room so i redid my Prepps room. Maybe i'll take some pics after i finish.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby kenjabroni » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:24 pm

I extended my secure chicken run. (its not 100% but its more secure than their free range area). I extended it out 16x24 ft. I bought the 4x4s, concrete and screws, all the other wood was done with 12 ft pallets I scavenge from work. I had chicken wire from my last project so I was able to use it and also used some from the part I had torn down. My first 17 hens should start laying anyday now. Im hoping to be able to integrate my other 11 soon. They are still a couple of months from laying but they are big enough to fend for themselves now. We had all the chickens free ranging and the little eater egg roosters (got 2 when I ordered 1) held their own against the big girls and even ran off one of the big roosters. Next up is to build onto the coop and make it a bit bigger to sustain the 50 we are hoping to eventually have. We cant wait to have fresh eggs and we already have people wanting to buy from us so hopefully we have some good producers.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Husband and I have been sick with the flu for the last two weeks. Nothing much got done except bare minimum.

When Husband started feeling better he went grocery shopping. He stocked up on both dry and canned soups, enough that we rotated stuff out of LTS. He wanted to be sure we'd not run out while I was sick (I got sick after him).

The friend whom we helped while building his garden shed called and reminded us that he is available to help with ours. We don't plan to start until spring.

I did clean out more kitchen drawers, making space for other things. Also working on the bathroom cabinets - I've been slowly using up items guests have left (half empty bottles of shampoo/conditioner, lotions, even mouthwash). They buy stuff here because they can't take it on the plane, and then leave whatever's left.

Otherwise, I'm just taking it easy until I feel better. I did go shopping today, and we even hit an estate sale (nothing I needed) but except for re-stocking, we really didn't do much, both of us were worn out when we got home and took a 2 hour nap!
Cin

Postby kenjabroni » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Cin I wish you a speedy recovery. I had some sort of funk for 4 or 5 days and still have a nasty cough but it wasnt full blown flu thank goodness. The only prepping you need to do right now is to rest and get you and the hubs back to full health.

I harvested my first chicken egg today. It was only one but I was really dumbfounded when I saw it. Ive been watching for a week or two and just got used to nothing extra being in the nests and voila......a ceramic egg along with an extra egg in my last box. Im a proud papa. My girls are starting to be providers haha
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Isn't it great when they first start to lay? And those little pullet eggs are SO cute! They will gradually get larger in size, ESPECIALLY after your "girls" go through their first molt. Then the eggs will be much larger.

Since today was payday, I stopped off and got another 1/4 oz of shiny yellow stuff. Eventually I'll get back up to where I was BEFORE I cashed it in to come up with the down payment for this place. (I'm already halfway there) I figure it was well worth it, to get the acreage and move us closer to self-sufficiency.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks Kenjabroni - I do feel better, but still coughing in the nippy air outside...so I'm staying inside. I'm also getting tired quicker, so this flu thing is still hanging on. That said...back to decluttering!

I cleaned out my bedside bookcase and closet today. The bookcase is actually my junk pile, jewelry, hairbands/ties/barrettes, meds, tissues, snacks, etc. Cleaned the whole thing up and a bagful each of costume jewelry and hair stuff will be going to the thrift shop. Put the meds back where they belong (medicine cabinet or the car first aid kit). Put all the kept jewelry where it goes and the kept hair goods where they go. I cannot believe how many lip balms I have in an assortment of containers. :D

I also made up some go-bags of personal items for the car. My plan is to have a bag of change of clothes and dopp kit to throw in the car for day trips (the go-bag goes in the car each time, but is actually for long distance more than 3 days).

I bagged up 1/3 of my clothes and shoes - stuff I've not worn for 2 years or more. It will be going to the thrift shop as soon as I feel better and go out and about.
Cin

Postby IceFire » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Seeded in parsley along the border of the asparagus bed (Parsley deters the asparagus beetle, and asparagus deters parsley worm, so planting them together helps both) and planted scallions/green onions (same thing, different name) along the border of the strawberry/spinach bed.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby NJMike » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Racked the 3rd batch of this winter's mead from the plastic pail into a glass carboy. Found another case and a half of mead from 2010, while going through my cases of empty bottles. I didn't care for this batch when I bottled it. Perhaps the years have mellowed it out.

Returned to the KMart that's closing. Picked up some sale items- butane fuel cylinders, battery clips to a 12V charger/adapter, and a Peak 1 backpacking stove. Waiting for deeper discounts there and then I'm back for first aid items and a few other things. I know why they couldn't stay in business. Their retail pricing was not competitive at all. I'm not buying anything unless it's 25% or ideally a better discount, the lower discounted items I can get cheaper at Walmart or on Amazon.

Also thinking of starting some seeds indoors. I've moved temporarily and the large garden I had at the old place isn't doable here. I can do containers, but have to deer proof really well with woods out behind. I think I'm going with leafy greens, herbs, and peppers ultimately. Maybe cucumbers too.
NJMike

Postby anita » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:47 pm

IceFire wrote:Seeded in parsley along the border of the asparagus bed (Parsley deters the asparagus beetle, and asparagus deters parsley worm, so planting them together helps both) and planted scallions/green onions (same thing, different name) along the border of the strawberry/spinach bed.

Ohh, thanks for this info. Guess where I'm planting parsley?!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby IceFire » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 pm

anita wrote:Ohh, thanks for this info. Guess where I'm planting parsley?!

I'm going to guess the asparagus bed? :lol:
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion