• Advertisement

New here- and the story of how I got started

Welcome to the forum! Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: ReadyMom, mmpaints

New here- and the story of how I got started

Postby nico » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:18 pm

I'm just going to start off by saying I am so glad to finally have a name for what I've been doing! I live in the mountains (8500 ft) and have always been a camper an outdoor type of person, so the thought of having to make my own way if anything ever happened has never been a big deal. A few years ago I experienced something that really got me thinking- my area got hit with a severe and violent flood. Luckily our house is situated up above the danger zone, but the town below where I live was devastated. The road was washed out, and the town was literally cut in half because all of the bridges were destroyed.

The realization that the situation was urgent came when a mudslide from an area that had burned 10 years previously flattened a home, killing an amazing man who never knew a stranger and was a vital part of our community. After the mudslide a reverse 911 call came, and people were awakened in the middle of the night with minutes to evacuate. Some slept through the call but luckily the roommate of the mudslide victim, who had climbed out of a window, was running around town screaming and banging on doors. People ran out in pajamas and literally watched their houses crumble and wash away.

Our whole region was severely affected, especially the small mountain towns, and our town was cut off from everything for three days. People on one side of town who lost everything were trapped without electricity, without phone, without medications, food, clothing, rain gear or anything and were at the mercy of others who opened their homes to help. Those of us who lived above were unable to get down to help and were also threatened with our higher ground bridge being washed away.

Long story long- we made it through, and the majority of people in town were helicopter-evacuated out three days later, but life was not the same for quite some time. We all have wells up here, but without electricity many could not access their water and many people had no food on hand, nothing. I was not even a prepper back then, but just had common sense stores for someone who lives at high altitude- food, water, batteries, candles, beer, etc.

The months that followed were brutal until a temporary road was constructed. Since many people were gone robberies occurred, and people took advantage of the food stores at our local cafe in a way I would have not thought would happen in a small community. There were also some beautiful acts of selflessness and compassion that make my heart soar. In the end it brought many of us closer.

Long story longer- I had many realizations that arose from this experience. I watched friends and neighbors go through the stress of managing their loss, of trying to gather information for assistance, trying to rebuild, deal with severe PTSD. The stories of what transpired during the actual flood are terrifying. One man went psychotic from 24 hours without medications. An elderly woman almost died. In retrospect from my prepping research, I realize how different it could have been if people had just had a bug out bag and basic common-sense supplies. The strange thing is that I don't think most people who were affected by this disaster even have a bug out bag now, or even food and water preps to weather a storm. I do. Nature loves her little surprises.

Being an extreme empath, somewhat prepared, and a medical professional I was able to help many. We knew help was coming in just a few days. What if it wasn't?

So anyway, that's my story. I'll probably be doing more reading than posting in the near future, and I look forward to getting to know you.
nico

Re: New here- and the story of how I got started

Postby Mountain mama » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:59 pm

Welcome!
Mountain mama

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:30 am

Welcome! :wave:

Glad you made it through the mudslides. It had to be scary.
Stahlrosen

Postby donba » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Welcome from So. Ca. Where mud slides are a season....... :thumbup:
Didn't mean to belittle your slide experience. I have vague memories of the event. Seams to have happened in Washington, or Oregon, my memory isn't what it use to be.
donba

Postby BK in KC » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. It's an excellent example of how things can go from normal to life-threatening in an instant.
BK in KC
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:36 am

Welcome here from CA as well....See, we're not all bad. ;)

Sorry for your wake up but glad you made it. Again, welcome!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby nico » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks guys! Not feeling belittled about the mud slide lol. It was Colorado. It's been burn or flood for us the past few years.
nico

Postby NJMike » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:06 am

Welcome Nico and thanks for sharing that very personal experience.

I've only been to Colorado once. You've got a very beautiful state. I hope to get back there again sometime.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby SSG Nasty » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Howdy and welcome from AZ
SSG Nasty
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:41 pm

nico wrote:Thanks guys! Not feeling belittled about the mud slide lol. It was Colorado. It's been burn or flood for us the past few years.

Sounds like California...first burn, then the rains come, and the mudslides. The whole time I was growing up there, it happened EVERY year several times a year. As far as I know, it's STILL an annual occurrence.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Introduce Yourself