• Advertisement

Garden 2017

Gardening tips, questions and information here

Moderator: mmpaints

Garden 2017

Postby RubyAbigail » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:55 pm

We are starting to get in the garden catalogs, so is anybody going to try anything new in there garden this year? I have a few grow bags, so I think I going to try growing carrots. I also want to try Chinese cabbage.

I am looking forward to spring....

Ruby
User avatar
RubyAbigail
 
Posts: 95
Images: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:11 pm
Karma: 9

Re: Garden 2017

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 pm

As a matter of fact, I did get my "Liberal's Guide to Gardening" catalog today. There were some interesting new strains of seeds offered.

I may order " Barack's Lush Lawn Covering" It is touted as a wonderful, thick lawn grass, imported from Africa, that they assure will satisfy the pickiest gardener. However there is the warning that once propagated, the gardener may experience an uncontrollable and fanatic urge to golf every day, even though the economy and world collapses around him. It does come with the insured promise that the lawn owner can keep his old lawn if dissatisfied. However the cost of replanting new seed each year will double and sometimes triple in cost.

I was also impressed with the 'Pelosi Peas". You have to plant them first in order to see what is in the pods.

I will post anything else I find of interest in the catalog. It may take me some time. The catalog is 25,000 pages long.

Did anybody else get this catalog?

Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Virginia
Karma: 352

Re: Garden 2017

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Reb, I got that catalog, but it is going straight to the bottom of the puppy pen!!

I actually ordered some new cherry trees, pears, crabapple, and plums. Have some potato cages I made at the end of the season I'm anxious to try. Put in one strawberry round (3 tier, 6' across on lower level) end of season last year and really like it, so will be adding a couple more. Determined to plant more salad stuff this year! Also want to try peanuts :) and get a dedicated section for rabbit food.
User avatar
Stahlrosen
 
Posts: 506
Images: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 pm
Karma: 20

Re: Garden 2017

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Stahlrosen wrote:Reb, I got that catalog, but it is going straight to the bottom of the puppy pen!!

I actually ordered some new cherry trees, pears, crabapple, and plums. Have some potato cages I made at the end of the season I'm anxious to try. Put in one strawberry round (3 tier, 6' across on lower level) end of season last year and really like it, so will be adding a couple more. Determined to plant more salad stuff this year! Also want to try peanuts :) and get a dedicated section for rabbit food.

You will have enough puppy paper to last you for years. It took an entire UPS truck to deliver my copy.

Seriously, do not hoe around the peanuts after the vines send runners down into the ground. That is where the nuts form.

I hope you didn't order the Pelosi strain of peanuts. They are seriously nutty, but they produce butt-ugly nuts. The skins are stretched very tight around the nuts, producing an artificial appearance. The skins often crack in trying to produce a smile.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Virginia
Karma: 352

Re: Garden 2017

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:31 pm

RubyAbigail, you and PatrioticStabilist (alter ego PatheticSocialist) should get together and order seeds from "The Liberal's Guide to Gardening". Using Obamacare math, it will only cost you twice as much for half the number of inferior seeds. But, I am sure you will think this is very fair and good for society.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Virginia
Karma: 352

Re: Garden 2017

Postby Mountain mama » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 pm

RubyAbigail wrote:We are starting to get in the garden catalogs, so is anybody going to try anything new in there garden this year? I have a few grow bags, so I think I going to try growing carrots. I also want to try Chinese cabbage.

I am looking forward to spring....

Ruby

I am going to add carrots to my garden as well this year. I have not done them as part of my normal garden before. Another item I am adding that I have not tried before is a purple type of sweet potato. I'm just doing a small sampling section of that.

Reb is on a roll today!!
Mountain mama
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:13 pm
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Karma: 0

Re: Garden 2017

Postby catfeet » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:29 am

C'mon reb, really? She didn't say anything political here. This whole "beat up anyone who says that they are liberal" thing, no matter what they are talking about is part of that whole volume control thing from the other thread. She wants to prep. Why alienate her? That is just going to push her away and take away the opportunity that this is. You are full of knowledge and I know you're a good guy. Help her learn... that is the opportunity here; to show that and thru being kind, change her mind.

My mama always said two things - ok, she had so many of them that my sister and I started a list and left it on the fridge, but here are the applicable ones; you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, AND, if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

Catfeet,who knows that this opinion is probably going to catch her flack, and is therefore going to retreat to her metaphorical bunker (aka work) to wait for the fallout to be over
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:27 am
Karma: 42

Re: Garden 2017

Postby catfeet » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:36 am

This year I'm planting (already in the ground) 4 new types of garlic and I've decided that it will be the year of the pepper and winter squash. I want to increase the types of both of those that I grow so that I have more variety in my seed collection. I'm also continuing to breed my "zone 4 perfect" tomato by crossing my existing strain with "granny Cantrell" for size.

I've so many catelogues that I run a spreadsheet to figure out where the best pricing is for all of the different things I want.

Oh, and onions! I grew my first successful onion crop last year and plan to do it again this year, but with more quantity and selection.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:27 am
Karma: 42

Re: Garden 2017

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 am

catfeet wrote:C'mon reb, really? She didn't say anything political here. This whole "beat up anyone who says that they are liberal" thing, no matter what they are talking about is part of that whole volume control thing from the other thread. She wants to prep. Why alienate her? That is just going to push her away and take away the opportunity that this is. You are full of knowledge and I know you're a good guy. Help her learn... that is the opportunity here; to show that and thru being kind, change her mind.

My mama always said two things - ok, she had so many of them that my sister and I started a list and left it on the fridge, but here are the applicable ones; you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, AND, if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

Catfeet,who knows that this opinion is probably going to catch her flack, and is therefore going to retreat to her metaphorical bunker (aka work) to wait for the fallout to be over

Need I remind you that this country was put through eight years of liberal hell, from which it may never recover. The "volume" has been turned up for some time. Witness the women's march on Washington and the threats voiced, the obscene signs and gestures, the absurd statements. I had nothing to do with that "volume".
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Virginia
Karma: 352

Re: Garden 2017

Postby catfeet » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:22 am

Indeed, many of which came from conservatives. Need I remind you of the "Obama is coming to to take our guns away" arguement that I've seen, as late as two weeks ago? Neither side is free from blame here, but continuing the argument, after you've won is like sticking out your tongue and saying "neener neener". Being flat out mean to people, simply because you don't agree with them is beneath us as Americans.

Catfeet, who doesn't agree with any number of individuals, but who keeps her tongue behind her teeth so's she doesn't beat up on them
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:27 am
Karma: 42

Re: Garden 2017

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 am

Been reading about the power of purple veggies.

Looking into purple corn, and potatoes.

Last year my potatoes did not do so well.

Otherwise, plant everything.

Expanding the raised bed gardens this year. I have the remains of one compost pile and another very big one to mix in with the soil.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
User avatar
Cast Iron
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am
Karma: 13

Re: Garden 2017

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:52 am

rebnavy1862 wrote:As a matter of fact, I did get my "Liberal's Guide to Gardening" catalog today. There were some interesting new strains of seeds offered.

I may order " Barack's Lush Lawn Covering" It is touted as a wonderful, thick lawn grass, imported from Africa, that they assure will satisfy the pickiest gardener. However there is the warning that once propagated, the gardener may experience an uncontrollable and fanatic urge to golf every day, even though the economy and world collapses around him. It does come with the insured promise that the lawn owner can keep his old lawn if dissatisfied. However the cost of replanting new seed each year will double and sometimes triple in cost.

I was also impressed with the 'Pelosi Peas". You have to plant them first in order to see what is in the pods.

I will post anything else I find of interest in the catalog. It may take me some time. The catalog is 25,000 pages long.

Did anybody else get this catalog?

Reb



Ya, I got it too....What a disappointment. I got scammed really...
The backyard here has really bad soil...Nothing would take....Then I heard about Barack's Lush Lawn Covering and man was I filled up with HOPE with the transformation of CHANGE it promised... Turns out it was nothing but a bunch of weeds...It was pretty Green for a bit but as soon as they got going and you cut them back you were left with nothing but a bunch of thick stems that hurt your feet to walk on...What a let down.

It's going to take years to get this damage fixed now if there's even any nutrients left in the soil.

DONT GET THE PELOSI PEAS!!!....that's an old, old old, scam here from CA..... There actually CA Lemons...and some of the worst tasting ones at that. Full of seeds and almost no juice even on new season fruit.

BUYER BEWARE!!!
~DR1VEN ;)
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
User avatar
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE
 
Posts: 482
Images: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: North of the Equator / below the 37th parallel
Karma: 24

Re: Garden 2017

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:16 am

catfeet wrote:Indeed, many of which came from conservatives. Need I remind you of the "Obama is coming to to take our guns away" arguement that I've seen, as late as two weeks ago? Neither side is free from blame here, but continuing the argument, after you've won is like sticking out your tongue and saying "neener neener". Being flat out mean to people, simply because you don't agree with them is beneath us as Americans.

Catfeet, who doesn't agree with any number of individuals, but who keeps her tongue behind her teeth so's she doesn't beat up on them

I'll be 71 in two days. I don't do "neener-neener" anymore. Satire is an American tradition. It predates the revolution. And, someone needs to explain to the libs who won the election.
Reb
Feeling all warm and fuzzy, wanting to hug a liberal.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Virginia
Karma: 352

Re: Garden 2017

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:24 am

catfeet wrote:Indeed, many of which came from conservatives. Need I remind you of the "Obama is coming to to take our guns away" arguement that I've seen, as late as two weeks ago? Neither side is free from blame here, but continuing the argument, after you've won is like sticking out your tongue and saying "neener neener". Being flat out mean to people, simply because you don't agree with them is beneath us as Americans.

Catfeet, who doesn't agree with any number of individuals, but who keeps her tongue behind her teeth so's she doesn't beat up on them



Uhhhh......Ya, they ARE taking our guns away.....Are you blind?

Me, a perfectly law abiding citizen turned FELON on Jan 1st here in CA(Pelosi AKA Obama cronies) had to destroy 10 magazines without cost of reimbursement ($250 basically stolen from me) that were fully legal 1 day earlier that couldn't be loaded with more than 10 rounds because it was not "Pinned" that I have owned for over 5 years and "SHOCKER" have never been used in a crime........

Oh well, I'll just go buy another M4 OR a hunting rifle to offset my misery...OH, WAIT!!! I cant do that here in CA now also!!!! That has become illegal as well since I cant even buy a rifle without loading a round thru the top of the weapon with a fixed magazine in place(Basically unusable) .....maybe I'll just buy a new pistol for my next choice....Aw CRAP! I forgot that too as of last year there really is almost no choices left here for that since the manufactures are pulling out of the market here in CA because of the micro-stamping law make the guns unreliable and too expensive....

aw well, maybe I'll just go get 1000 rounds for a great 2 day course I run with the local PD/Swat guys I train with at my local range for some time trials on a steel shoot.....better get it in now since I can't buy ammo next year( end of 2018) without a massive cost and permit adding my name to yet another registry that does nothing....

Screw this....I'm going to take a 2 week vacation to get this crap off my mind....OH WAIT!!! I don't know that's a great idea either since if a guy breaks into my house on day 2 and steals my gun I have to report it stolen within 5 days or I become a criminal for not reporting it and will not pass a background check to buy the replacement gun!!!....Too risky to take that vacation!....I better just go for the weekend.

It's called back door gun control my friend....Look it up....and it has been happening...for YEARS.

It amazes me the complacency I see from people not on the front lines.....sorry if this seems rough. It is a very hot topic for me and yes...this is WAY :offtopic: ... I had just come in from looking over what I was taking to the range today so it was fresh in my mind again......Sorry OP....rant done.

Please continue to live in the fantasy that its not happening...you'll get to experience it soon too.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
User avatar
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE
 
Posts: 482
Images: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: North of the Equator / below the 37th parallel
Karma: 24

Re: Garden 2017

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:35 am

Thanks, Driven, for relating your personal experience. The truth has an unfortunate ability of getting in the way of some arguments.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network
 
Posts: 6046
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Virginia
Karma: 352

Next

Return to Gardening

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors









Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer