• Advertisement

Garden 2017

Gardening tips, questions and information here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Garden 2017

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:13 am

bacpacker1513 wrote:We chopped and froze a lot of our Red onions in meal size bags last year. They didn't keep nearly as well. We'll run a bunch thru the Excaliber dehydrator this year and give that a shot.

I found that if I saute the onions before freezing they do better. We generally use them in soups or spaghetti, omelets and such, and they seemed to do fine.
Probably only going to try and plant a few this year. Rabbits got all mine last year. :x Who knew rabbits ate onions? Sigh......
Stahlrosen

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:20 am

daaswampman wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:
catfeet wrote:Indeed, many of which came from conservatives. Need I remind you of the "Obama is coming to to take our guns away" arguement that I've seen, as late as two weeks ago? Neither side is free from blame here, but continuing the argument, after you've won is like sticking out your tongue and saying "neener neener". Being flat out mean to people, simply because you don't agree with them is beneath us as Americans.

Catfeet, who doesn't agree with any number of individuals, but who keeps her tongue behind her teeth so's she doesn't beat up on them

I'll be 71 in two days. I don't do "neener-neener" anymore. Satire is an American tradition. It predates the revolution. And, someone needs to explain to the libs who won the election.
Reb
Feeling all warm and fuzzy, wanting to hug a liberal.

Don't do it!!! The only way your going to hug a liberal is if your going to jump off a cliff! Happy Birthday Reb! Swamp

You know what a "crying shame" is Swamp? A bus load of libs going off a cliff with one empty seat!
Reb
Thanks for the birthday wishes.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:26 am

Stahlrosen wrote:
bacpacker1513 wrote:We chopped and froze a lot of our Red onions in meal size bags last year. They didn't keep nearly as well. We'll run a bunch thru the Excaliber dehydrator this year and give that a shot.

I found that if I saute the onions before freezing they do better. We generally use them in soups or spaghetti, omelets and such, and they seemed to do fine.
Probably only going to try and plant a few this year. Rabbits got all mine last year. :x Who knew rabbits ate onions? Sigh......

Really?

Interesting.

I can not get my rabbits (domesticated types) to eat onions.

Neither my hogs.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:53 am

Stahlrosen wrote:

Probably only going to try and plant a few this year. Rabbits got all mine last year. :x Who knew rabbits ate onions? Quote

Try planting some sacrificial clover, Stahlrosen. I had a wild rabbit problem until I encouraged a large patch of clover. They went for the clover before anything else. Coyotes have been increasing in numbers. Now, there isn't a rabbit to be seen anywhere. At least coyotes don't eat vegetables.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby IceFire » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:58 pm

Stahlrosen wrote: Who knew rabbits ate onions? Sigh......

Stahlrosen, about the ONLY thing in my garden that the rabbits DIDN'T eat was the asparagus. They absolutely devoured everything else, but the asparagus they didn't touch.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby theoutback » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:06 pm

IceFire wrote:

Stahlrosen, about the ONLY thing in my garden that the rabbits DIDN'T eat was the asparagus. They absolutely devoured everything else, but the asparagus they didn't touch.

Good job raising those freerange rabbits Icefire. Sounds like you have plenty of meat should the shtf! :thumbup:
theoutback

Postby anita » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Red onions don't last too long. I buy the bunch of three types of onions from Dixondale, which is about 1/3 red, 1/3 white, and 1/3 yellow, and that's plenty of red onions for salads etc in the summer. I buy another bunch of the Yellow (Copa, I think?). I end up dehydrating whatever I don't use up of all of them fairly quickly. I love making soup and just tossing in a handful of onions. So convenient.

I got potato onions this fall, and Egyptian walking onions last fall. I haven't used the Egyptian walking for more than green onions so far. But they both are perennial, so I don't have to worry about not having access to seeds or sets, if need be.

anita

Postby IceFire » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:11 am

theoutback wrote:
IceFire wrote:

Good job raising those freerange rabbits Icefire. Sounds like you have plenty of meat should the shtf! :thumbup:

theoutback, the rabbits were already here when we got here...along with the quail, javelina, doves, and occasional deer. Oh, and the coyotes (fortunately, so far they've been staying on the OTHER side of the fence, because I do NOT need them going after my chickens or goats! Although, seeing the way my doe reacted to the dog, I'd say the coyotes would be in trouble. She may not have horns, but she is deadly accurate with her head!) Plenty of "wild" meat around here, as well as what I'm raising.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby theoutback » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:55 am

Ya, I knew they were there, I was just joking. However it is a good passive step in prepping that we do not ever talk about.

If you have the land, there are tons of things you can do to make your land more attractive to wildlife. Example: Cutting trees (I know you may not have them down there) down for firewood allows for more browse to come up,raspberries, blackberries, etc..That's good habitat for deer, quail, grouse, rabbits etc. piling up the branches not used for firewood makes great homes for rabbits and fowl. I've got several around my property, and have lots of rabbits too. The thicker your woods the better. Humans think old growth forests are attractive, but animals do not. No food (other than nuts), no cover in mature woods.

Also planting food plots or frost seeding fields with more tasty plants such as white clover make fields much more attractive to deer and rabbits. Planting fruit trees, apples, pears, oaks, chestnuts, also make your property more attractive to wildlife and give you fruit as well.

Having your property wildlife friendly is a great prep. Many hunters know about these practices. Also, besides a little work, you do not have to feed them. Should the shtf these areas will be a great source for food and others may not recognize it. Your gardens, high tunnels and the like will be more apt to be seen and raided.
theoutback

Postby IceFire » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:26 am

We've got a LOT of trees on our land...unfortunately, it's mostly mesquite! While it makes good firewood (It's a "ironwood", so VERY hard) that burns long and hot, and the "beans" can be ground to make a high-protein, gluten-free flour, it ALSO tends to be allelopathic...keeps other plants from sprouting. I'm in the process (very SLOW process) of removing a lot of it. So far, what we've removed has gone into brush piles to provide habitat for rabbits and quail. I'll be planting berry bushes along the perimeter fence lines (nice THORNY ones, that people will NOT want to tangle with) as well as olive trees--both height and width make a nice "privacy screen". The orchard trees go farther in, closer to the house. When the SHTF, I plan on trapping rabbits FIRST, before I start butchering my own. That will serve to both provide us with a free source of meat, PLUS reduce the threat to my garden, orchard, and vineyard.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby AndrewJohnson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:00 am

Good to know!
AndrewJohnson

Postby SonyaCarmody » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:05 am

I am going to try Chinese cabbage this year.
SonyaCarmody

Previous

Return to Gardening