• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Ham Radio Stealth Dipoles for preppers by preppers

Topics related HAM and Shortwave radio and emergency communication

Moderator: WornOut

Ham Radio Stealth Dipoles for preppers by preppers

Postby timortiz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:25 am

There are some really cool videos on YouTube these days about low cost-great value stealth dipoles. Check them out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rujoKVOhK8

and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiChDvSzGQM

and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fylPW0xgQ

and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68NjWxa8m8s

The antennas are sold on ebay here: http://stores.ebay.com/n9sab

Other APN members will receive a 10% instant rebate since I have some pull with the manufacturer. Just send me a note.

Tim
timortiz
Illinois Preppers Network

Re: Ham Radio Stealth Dipoles for preppers by preppers

Postby Rod » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:19 pm

Some pull with the manufacturer huh :rofl:
Nice business, I actually thought about doing this 20 years ago when I was making wire antennas.
Where will you turn to for help when the Red Cross, Salvation Army and your Insurance is worn out? A.N.T.S.
Rod
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:22 am

I am running a dual band J pole aluminum rod antenna about 55 feet hoisted into a tree via a fishing pole and some 1/8 nylon line. The Nylon line has been blackened out with black magic marker as has the J pole antenna. The J pole was blackened with permanent black magic marker...before final assembly.

Any effect on the radiation pattern/transmit/receive is not noticeable.

With the line and antenna blackened out you would be hard pressed to notice it up in the trees...in particular when the tree is in full foliage.

I also have up a loop antenna in my yard for the HF bands. It is from a 500 foot roll of 12 gauge black insulated roll of wire from Lowes. The black can hardly be seen unless you know for what to look.

It is basically a large triangular loop and fed with ladder line.

Dipoles...properly put up are naturally difficult to see unless you know at what you are observing and you need to be relatively up close to so notice.

Most people would not even know what a dipole is.

I also don't believe they are that noticeable by drone camera unless the drone is very very close to the antenna.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby timortiz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:37 pm

I would agree. There are wires all over the place these days, so folks might not see it even then. Whats another wire in the air? I like the half-wave dipole on HF for a number of reasons. I build these specifically for stealth, HOA and portable applications. I do this mainly for fun, but I would be happy to send you one if you would like to try it.
timortiz

Postby orangetom1999 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:50 am

Some years ago...I rented a cabin up in the mountains. I have found this a very nice place to get away from what I often term as "The fast food high speed lane of life."

What I did was bring my old back up HF rig..a Yaesu FT 890 and tuner..also keyer.. power supply and a G5RV antenna for which I've had in storage for some years before.

The antenna was hoisted up into the trees via a fishing pole and this used to thread some 1/8th nylon line from Lowes. Coaxially fed...I ran the rig via an extension cord...out to the deck out back.

I made several contacts to people I knew..even a fellow in upstate New York who retired from down here in Virginia.

Late at night I threaded the coaxial cable into the kitchen and operated off the kitchen table with headphones while everyone else slept. I am a night owl.

Made several other contacts using both phone and keyer.

I enjoyed that ability to operate far from my base station or out in my truck...by setting up another station in that manner.

The G5RV is basically a dipole...and a good antenna for the monies. I keep a couple here for backups and operating out away from home in the manner described.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Return to Emergency Communications