• Advertisement

My 'from the box user ready'AR-15 thread

Topics about guns

My 'from the box user ready'AR-15 thread

Postby Major French » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:30 pm

The follow AR-15s I can in good conscience recommend for immediate usage unmodified:
A. Springfield Armory Saint
B. Civilian Force Arms Xena 15
C. Ruger AR556

These each have so many good features that they rank 'superior' in the quest for budget, quality AR-15s. Cheap should not mean garbage.
Major French

Re: My 'from the box user ready'AR-15 thread

Postby Dirk Williams » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 am

Tell us about these rifles, what makes them GTG, VS other rifles on the market.

Interested to learn what makes a superior, out of the box rifle.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:53 am

Some better alternatives:

M1A
FNAR
FN FAL
SCAR 17
HK MR762A1
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Dirk Williams » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:50 pm

No problems with either of your choices, was truly wondering why these were " better" rifles. My concern is a lot of prpoitory? Parts, which means their not readily available.

If one were carrying these rifles, I would like to think that consumable parts are available.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:No problems with either of your choices, was truly wondering why these were " better" rifles. My concern is a lot of prpoitory? Parts, which means their not readily available.

If one were carrying these rifles, I would like to think that consumable parts are available.

Dirk

Quite right.

I was looking at it from a more, better action, lower maintenance, effective round stand point for multiple missions.

The AR action i.e. Stoner action, is incredibly dirty, and requires a lot of maintenance and the 5.56/223 is an anemic round.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Major French » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:07 pm

They have so many good features that they can be trusted from the start to run well as is. My M&P 15 Sport II, but I chose to pimp royally before even shooting the thing. Runs 100% so modified. The SP-1 is the semi-junk AR-15 that gave the Civilian AR-15 a bad name.This is totally separate from the Vietnam M16 ammo failures that got people killed. with jammed weapons. In 1982 however, Eagle Arms introduced today 's AR-15. A sturdier and much more reliable weapon that changed many minds-mine included -bout Armalite.
Major French

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Major French wrote:THe have so many good features that they caqn be trusted from the get go to run well as is. My M&P 15 Sport, I chose to pimp royally before even shooting the thing. Runs 100% so modified. The SP-1 is the semi-junk AR-15 that gave the Civilian AR-15 a bad name.This is totally from the Vietnam M16 ammo failures that got people killed. with jammed weapons. In 1982 However, Eagle Arms introduced today 's AR-15. A sturdier and much more reliable weapon that changed many minds-mine included about Armalite.

I am sorry, but is that English you are speaking?
Cast Iron

Postby contrarian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:02 am

Major French wrote:They have so many good features that they can be trusted from the start to run well as is. My M&P 15 Sport II, but I chose to pimp royally before even shooting the thing. Runs 100% so modified. The SP-1 is the semi-junk AR-15 that gave the Civilian AR-15 a bad name.This is totally separate from the Vietnam M16 ammo failures that got people killed. with jammed weapons. In 1982 however, Eagle Arms introduced today 's AR-15. A sturdier and much more reliable weapon that changed many minds-mine included -bout Armalite.

So a question, similar to the OP, I'd like to get a base lower that I can then modify. In my case I'm interested in a 308 upper as a choice. What are reliable Makers for such a dual-use system
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby danthman114 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:36 am

My Rock River with an acog does pretty well. Same as my colt.
danthman114

Postby Dirk Williams » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:07 pm

Major, WOW-just WOW, is all I can say. I've learned something new today.

Thank you Major.
are you like retired army , perhaps Salvation Army?

Can you advise our friend Contrarian regarding the proper ar lower for his 308?

Big D
Little irk..
Dirk Williams

Postby Major French » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:11 pm

danthman114 wrote:My Rock River with an acog does pretty well. Same as my colt.
Thank you for for sharing. Pray tell, do run RRA stock or modded?
Major French

Postby Major French » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:Major, WOW-just WOW, is all I can say. I've learned something new today.

Thank you Major.
are you like retired army , perhaps Salvation Army?

Can you advise our friend Contrarian regarding the proper ar lower for his 308?

Big D
Little irk..

Sorry, I don't know anything about .308 AR lowers. But I did do research for , both user interviews and online, before I decided to add to AR to to my collection, 3rd team leader for Kanawha Valley Communications Team[KVCT]. We did armed civilian search and rescue, too.
Major French

Postby Lipps » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:41 pm

Colt 6720. Under a grand, lightweight, reliable. Good for plinking and other light work.

Springfield M1A It's the cheapest one you can buy that isn't junk, but it's still expensive. Heavy. bombproof. Can be used as a club for those times when you decided to carry less ammo because it was too heavy.
Lipps

Postby danthman114 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:06 pm

Major French wrote:
danthman114 wrote:My Rock River with an acog does pretty well. Same as my colt.
Thank you for for sharing. Pray tell, do run RRA stock or modded?

I had them build it when I shot for the base team. A4 upper, a2 butt stock and grip, stainless Wilson match barrel, RR 2 stage trigger. I have the lead weights for it but only use them for competition. My colt has a vltor modstock and a Leupold mk4 cqt. No batteries required...
danthman114

Postby danthman114 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:08 pm

And yes, I would take my m1a over my AR 15s any day..
danthman114

Next

Return to Guns