• Advertisement

Not just bug-out bags

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Not just bug-out bags

Postby ventedgibbon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:47 am

Do any of you have several "prep bags" in certain places? At my desk I have an "out of the building bag" with a respirator rated for smoke, goggles, pry bar, and other tools just to get out of the building. Then I have a get home bag in my car with enough gear to get me to the house (a days food and water, rain gear, etc.). My actual "bug-out bag" is a set of bags my wife and I built to carry 3 days of equipment for ourselves and the kids. Identity documents, food and water, toys and coloring books, seasonal clothes. Spam portion of post edited out by forum moderator..
ventedgibbon

Re: Not just bug-out bags

Postby dmwalsh568 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:20 pm

I have an emergency bag at my office desk with basic supplies including n95 mask, first aid kit, 2 days of food and water, plus a blanket. Idea of this bag is to shelter in place until I can get to full GHB in car, or worst case, walk home with just these supplies. Car GHB has same basics but also has 5 days of food plus camping gear in case I'm further from home when an event happens. I don't actually have a bug out bag. I have GHBs in both cars and a garden cart at home that can haul 400 pounds of gear if I have to leave for any length of time. But I could only take a fraction of my preps so bugging out is a last resort.
dmwalsh568

Postby rickdun » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Have get home bags in vehicles, 2 day supply of food, water, 1st aid, fire starters, etc.. Have a get home bag at camp, same stuff but 5 days worth, camp is 65 miles away. Have a 175cc dirt bike there to get home but it's old 1970's, don't know if it will make the whole 65 miles. Don't have a BOB, I'm bugging in place.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby bacpacker1513 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:36 pm

I keep a GHB in my truck since I work about 35 miles from home. Also have other GHB's for wifes car and my beater. I also have a large BOB in a backpack. I have 4 separate plastic boxes that I can cable lock into place in the bed of the truck, some are pre loaded with food, ammo, tent, and other stuff. A couple are empty to load as needed. We also keep a good deal of supplies loaded in the 5th wheel in case we need to head out for an extended period.
Never keep all your goodies in one bag.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby theoutback » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:16 pm

I've got several as others have stated. One for my truck wife's car and virtually every pack for hunting or hiking has survival items in them.

Who is this? :o It's got to be someone on this site
Attachments
Bug out bag.jpg
Bug out bag.jpg (43.49 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
theoutback

Postby IceFire » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:17 pm

I keep a GHB in the car, and have multiple other bags for varying situations...the "day hike gone horribly wrong" bag, the "I'm taking off for a week of hunting" bag, the BOB that's good up to 2 weeks, and the "I'm Never Coming Home" bag. I also keep several "grab and go" buckets with different supplies in them.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:38 pm

My GHB is in my truck bed. It has gear, and about 50 extra rounds for my EDC. Don't have a BOB, because i keep all my survival gear staged and ready in my trailer and what is temp sensitive is in power packers in my basement. I can load and roll out in under 20 min.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby donba » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:06 am

Ray when did Out Back get that picture of you and the bag !!!! :rofl: :rofl:
donba

Postby RayMac1963 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:28 am

I don't know Donba, He is a tricky little something. You can bet I'll pay him back for exposing my OPSEC. Outback, watch your 6. :evil:
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

RayMac1963

Postby NJMike » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:33 am

ventedgibbon wrote:Do any of you have several "prep bags" in certain places?

Yes. For a majority of where I'm located at any given point in time, there's a bag or bags nearby in home, office, and vehicle. The size, weight, and contents vary by location and purpose.

Only exception is air travel, but that is what it is.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby dmwalsh568 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:52 am

I have a bag for air travel too, but I don't consider it a bug out bag, or GHB. It's just a bag with a couple of days of food and my electronic recharging gear so I can keep myself sane when stuck at a gate waiting for a delayed flight. No water, but that's the first thing I buy once I'm through security. I suppose I could bring my Berkey Sport bottle through the checkpoint as long as it's empty, but I haven't risked it yet since I don't really want to throw one away because someone doesn't like the hose and/or filter in it...and I get extra security pat downs often enough as it is...no need to make them think a BCS is necessary. Although I'll ask it be done in the open if they want to go there. :evil:
dmwalsh568

Postby NJMike » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:46 am

Some additional thoughts on airports/travel.

I figure I've got a 50% chance of being at my home airport. In that case I can eventually get to my vehicle, since as a practice I always long term park the vehicle rather than get dropped off. My GHB is available if I can leave the building and access the lot.

Otherwise, I have no desire to lose tool items or get in trouble over bringing extra things on the plane. However, I also do bring a little food in my carry on like protein bars, as well as charging items. I keep a flint/starter with blade and some paracord in my checked bag, but may not have access to it.

I'm working on carrying additional electronic versions of important documents. That's in case I'm traveling to one part of the country and things go bad suddenly in any extreme but localized event back home.
NJMike

Postby terrapin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:32 pm

theoutback wrote:I've got several as others have stated. One for my truck wife's car and virtually every pack for hunting or hiking has survival items in them.

Who is this? :o It's got to be someone on this site

I know that guy.

It's Ray! :p
terrapin

Postby RayMac1963 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Thats the Ruck i run around the neighborhood with.

RayMac1963

Postby terrapin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:10 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:Thats the Ruck i run around the neighborhood with.

:thumbsup:
terrapin

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion