• Advertisement

Traveling the railroads

Survival and Sustainability tips and ideas for suburbanites and apartment dwellers

Moderators: IceFire, medic72

Traveling the railroads

Postby Chester Copperpot » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:59 pm

I had a pretty sudden revelation while driving today. I observed a CXS Railroad chevy tuck driving on the tracks. They have those nifty railway wheels that can drop down to ride the rails or go back up to ride the road. Think this would make a good shtf vehicle? When the trains stop, it sure would be better to travel the rails than the roads.
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.
Chester Copperpot
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Re: Traveling the railroads

Postby danthman114 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Most railroads have some type of service road next to it. Not as smooth but might be alittle less traveled by the masses.
danthman114

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:58 pm

My dad used to ride either "Model A's or Model T's" on railroad tracks as a young lad in the 1930's. The tires could be squeezed inside of the rails. Of course, he didn't tell me until he was sure I was out of my wild years. Actually, I never outgrew my wild years.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:17 pm

subject covered in PAW fiction book Lucifer's Hammer ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby donba » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Out here in the west there are lots of tunnels. Mite be a good place to over nite........
donba

Postby North County Guy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:08 pm

They are called Road-rail vehicles or hi-rail.

I had the same thought. My brother is an engineer, and said it would take some work, but it could be done
North County Guy

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:17 pm

donba wrote:Out here in the west there are lots of tunnels. Mite be a good place to over nite........

Just keep an eye out for the light at the end of the tunnel, because................
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby Gunns » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:23 am

rebnavy1862 wrote:
donba wrote:Out here in the west there are lots of tunnels. Mite be a good place to over nite........

Just keep an eye out for the light at the end of the tunnel, because................
Reb

Zombies like tunnels.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:06 am

hope you realize that the railroads will continue as long as there's a gooberment - AMTRAK is already a total FED control without any emergency powers employed .... it's the immediate substitute for primary air travel - low tech enough that it couldn't be totally disabled ... you can bet on security for the pinchpoints ....

before you go all apocalypse - make sure there's no locomotive waiting to run down your plan or GI plugging your butt ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:32 am

Gunns wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:

Reb

Zombies like tunnels.

"No Sanctuary" on railways.....Too many have discussed this. It will be a ambush point with all the travelers trying to avoid obvious points.....And yes, Zombies. :rofl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Sanctuary_(The_Walking_Dead)

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:48 am

You would need an electric solar powered-think quiet- rubber wheeled, V blade in front for zombies. Forward searching radar for oncoming trains. Quick dismount feature if train approaching. Painted on top to look like railroad rails/track in case of searching planes. Eco friendly toilet and plenty of clean underwear. Fast reverse option if train coming and no place to get off like on a bridge.

I'll just stay home.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 pm

i've thought of the railroad trucks before.but yet something just occurred to me.what if you your going down the tracks in one,in the middle of no where,?then you come across a train sitting dead on the track,and with bo way to get around it?
jimLE

Postby ajax727 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:00 pm

It sounds great just follow the tracks , sorry but not for me . You can see a long way or you can be seen from a long ways . Your are on a bridge about half way and surprise there are thugs ahead and behind a bottleneck , your are robbed of all goods or you are worm food .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Return to Urban/Suburban Survival