• Advertisement

Taurus Judge

Topics about guns

Taurus Judge

Postby rj5156 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Lot of helpful information here. I appreciate it. I ran a search and did not find any threads on the Taurus Judge. Hope I did not miss one?

Thinking about getting serious about a Judge. Lot to like about it. We've got wild pigs, mountain lions, coyotes and poisonous snakes here now and while the judge might not be the best for any one of these, it is the only thing I would actually carry around, that might get me out of a jam with any of them so long as I keep my cool. I'm not interested in shooting the unless it is necessary. Well. Maybe the pigs, we like pork!

I've done some research, I like the 3 inch cylinder and 6 inch barrel. Looks like alternating .410 buckshot loads with .45 long colt rounds would be about right. It weighs in at two pounds, not a lot different than the government 45 I've been dragging around.

I like that it can share ammo with my .410, make reloading simpler. Hubby Brian is interested in a couple things that use the 45 colt rounds, so he would have a fine excuse to buy one of those!

Anybody got one? Do you like it? Pros / cons? I'm interested in gloves to help with recoil too, if anyone has used them? Kind of like ear plugs, I know I won't have the on if I ever need to use it but why do any more damage than necessary?

Might be time to take a field trip to Knob Creek shooting range. I've always wanted to shoot some of the really big guns! See if they've got a Judge I can run some rounds through.
rj5156

Re: Taurus Judge

Postby IceFire » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:11 pm

I've had a Judge since they first came out (back then, they had a 2 1/2 inch cylinder.) When shooting with .45LC ammo, the recoil is pretty well absorbed by the "ribbing" on the rubber grip. When shooting with the 410 gauge shells, there is more of a tendency for "muzzle flip", and more felt recoil. Unless you plan on spending quite a bit of time at the range shooting, though, it's not that big of an issue.

When I go deer hunting, I take it along as a sidearm...with a couple rounds of "snake shot", some 000 buckshot, and a couple of slugs or 45LC loaded. When I'm out in the woods, I never know if I might encounter rattlesnakes, javelinas, bears, or 2 legged "critters". The Judge lets me be ready to handle any threats.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rj5156 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:27 pm

IceFire wrote:I've had a Judge since they first came out (back then, they had a 2 1/2 inch cylinder.) When shooting with .45LC ammo, the recoil is pretty well absorbed by the "ribbing" on the rubber grip. When shooting with the 410 gauge shells, there is more of a tendency for "muzzle flip", and more felt recoil. Unless you plan on spending quite a bit of time at the range shooting, though, it's not that big of an issue.

When I go deer hunting, I take it along as a sidearm...with a couple rounds of "snake shot", some 000 buckshot, and a couple of slugs or 45LC loaded. When I'm out in the woods, I never know if I might encounter rattlesnakes, javelinas, bears, or 2 legged "critters". The Judge lets me be ready to handle any threats.

Thank you IceFire! Everything I hoped for when I asked:) I take it yours has the steel frame? I lean heavily that direction myself. It's been around a very long time and we've got everything we need to fix metal, not that I'd expect it to need repairs. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned?

Brian is starting to get interested, he's wondering about a duplex load in the .410s with bbs and #2s. Don't let me fool you, I enjoy reloading as a repetitive task but don't know much of anything about it. Do you buy your ammo or reload or both?

I really appreciate your comments about how you load it, that is just what I want from the gun and it sounds like a real working tool, loaded as you described.
rj5156

Postby IceFire » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Yes, mine has the steel frame. I have found that the steel frames absorb and distribute the recoil MUCH better than polymer frames.

I don't reload as of yet. It is something that I want to learn how to do, but I am NOT about to try it without someone teaching me "hands on", while they are there to correct any mistakes I might make BEFORE I find out the hard way!

Yes, the great thing about the Judge is that you CAN put different loads in it, depending on what you might run in to. That is EXACTLY why we bought it.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:29 pm

rj5156 wrote:Lot of helpful information here. I appreciate it. I ran a search and did not find any threads on the Taurus Judge. Hope I did not miss one?

Thinking about getting serious about a Judge. Lot to like about it. We've got wild pigs, mountain lions, coyotes and poisonous snakes here now and while the judge might not be the best for any one of these, it is the only thing I would actually carry around, that might get me out of a jam with any of them so long as I keep my cool. I'm not interested in shooting the unless it is necessary. Well. Maybe the pigs, we like pork!

I've done some research, I like the 3 inch cylinder and 6 inch barrel. Looks like alternating .410 buckshot loads with .45 long colt rounds would be about right. It weighs in at two pounds, not a lot different than the government 45 I've been dragging around.

I like that it can share ammo with my .410, make reloading simpler. Hubby Brian is interested in a couple things that use the 45 colt rounds, so he would have a fine excuse to buy one of those!

Anybody got one? Do you like it? Pros / cons? I'm interested in gloves to help with recoil too, if anyone has used them? Kind of like ear plugs, I know I won't have the on if I ever need to use it but why do any more damage than necessary?

Might be time to take a field trip to Knob Creek shooting range. I've always wanted to shoot some of the really big guns! See if they've got a Judge I can run some rounds through.

I've never had a Taurus and from what I know they're a decent brand but nothing super spectacular. I've never been a big Taurus fan and the Taurus Judge, if you ask me, is a bit ugly looking but that's just me. For dealing with the critters you mentioned I would go with a Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum which can be loaded with snake shot as well as the regular .44 slugs. Barrel lengths come at anywhere from 2.75 to 7.50 and various lengths in between. I am a big Ruger fan, especially for the revolvers. From my experience when you buy a Ruger revolver you get what you pay for and more.
Photon Guy

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:47 pm

I do not own a Taurus Judge.

But Ice Fire has one. She has real world experience with one.

I would deferrer to her experience on this matter.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Major French » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:26 pm

rj5156 wrote:Lot of helpful information here. I appreciate it. I ran a search and did not find any threads on the Taurus Judge. Hope I did not miss one?

Stoke that baby with three-inch buck shot buckshot and it's an awesome scorpion/snake/home invasion crew gun at room length range. What speed loaders are you planning on using with it, too.
Major French

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:06 am

I too am a wheel gun individual. I like revolvers over autos and I have both.

I am not particularly enamored of the Tarus Judge revolvers. I do like the Taurus line in Revolvers and own one in .357...their 686 revolver and also a Taurus Tracker in .45ACP which I verily like for it's accuracy. This .45ACP Tracker is more accurate than my 1911.

Also like the GP 100 series in .357.

And I own revolvers in .41 magnum for which I am learning to reload. Factory ammo is a bit hot for my tastes here in this calibration.

Yes I like revolvers...but have never felt the desire or need to own a Taurus Judge. I do understand the rationale behind the Judge...but it is not for me.

I don't fault anyone if they prefer it...it is their monies and time.

Primary home gun here is a 12 gauge model 37 Ithaca pump police special.

By the way..and while I am thinking about it...have there been any on line stories or accounts of people using the Taurus Judge for self defense? I ask because to date I have not heard any reports.

Thanks to all for their posts,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby ajax727 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:59 am

I am also a wheel gun lover and have a few of them different brand names and yes I do have a few auto's also .
I have shot a judge more than a few times a friend has one . The 45 LC shot real well at 30 steps aka 30 yards groups of around three inches average spread , with BB's at the same distance they spread out 24x24 target most hit it we did not count the holes but it was covered with little holes but we did fire several rounds each at it . At the same distance we fired several rounds of buckshot each and they spread out also covering the 24x24 target . IMHO it worked great felt good in the hand but is a little heavy also . To me a judge would be a nice little tool to have in the tool box .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:20 am

Ajax 727 and others...

The 45 LC shot real well at 30 steps aka 30 yards groups of around three inches average spread ,

The .45 Long Colt is a freight train at close range...and that is good group size at that range.

This is precisely what got me to thinking about downloading my .41 Magnum. Factory loads I found to hot for my liking...and I am still experimenting with down loading them to around 1000 fps or so. I think 1400 to 1500 fps is a bit hot for most uses.

Mind you now...if one were handgun hunting for wild pig or bear...any such animal with thick skin and big bones...hotter loads would undoubtedly be the order of the day.

In like manner to the .45 Long Colt...for every day uses...in my .41 Magnum...practice or self defense the 210 copper plated flat point or the 250 grain Wide Flat Nosed Gas Check/WFNGC is fine at reduced loads as they are sufficiently heavy for most daily uses...at around 1000 fps.

But for hunting one might want to roll a bit hotter load...for deeper penetration on a larger or thick boned/thick skinned animal.

For most daily practical loadings ..one does not need blinding "Light Speed." This "Light Speed/power/hot loads " is overrated for most uses.

It is very interesting to me that the .45 Long Colt in close to it's original loading is still a excellent self defense load ...and it is indeed a big bullet..and so too with a .410 slug round...particularly at close range.
While I do not own a Taurus Judge and have no such plans... I think Taurus and company have thought this one through quite well ..close range...and the ability to deliver serious energy at said range.

I believe also the Taurus Judge of today, with better metallurgy than the olde .45 LC western revolvers, can handle hotter loads in .45 Long Colt. I know that the .45 Long Colt can be loaded much hotter than factory loads...but caution should be verily used here so as not to use hot loads in older revolvers.

Again..my .02,

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby ajax727 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:50 am

I don't like hot loads some boys here kept hopping up 270 rounds till they messed up there rifles and they had to send the rifles back to the factory to be repaired . It messed up the receivers from being slammed back so hard .
The 45LC did shoot good groups and that was a surprise to me . We did not try slugs maybe next time I will drag out a box and see how well they group . The birdshot and buckshot did ok but like a short barreled shot gun they spread out at that distance . We emptied several boxes of each that is why the target was full of holes . Up close 10 yards or closer it would be a great when loaded with bird BB or buckshot , a good spray and pray weapon .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby rj5156 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Lot of helpful information! I thank everyone, and will be referring back to it. We went to Bass Pro yesterday and I handled a couple models. They did not have any of the longer models. I do love the factory grip, nice fit for my hands.

Chatted with some folks who have a Taurus too. They sold me accidentally on the stainless steel model. I love stainless until I have to work it to build something!

We went to a couple other places too. I also asked the folks selling guns about the Taurus. Got mixed reviews. They said they send a lot of newly purchased Taurus guns back to the factory for alingment issues with the cylinder and barrel. Like it loses "timing". Ran some searches later and saw this is not unusual. They also said it can take some time to get these back from the factory, but they DO fix them.

No one had the Smith and Wesson Governor, it will take the 410, 45 long colt and also 45 ACP, which is what Brian's 1911 uses, bonus! It is NOT available in longer models. It does take six rounds, where the Taurus holds five. More bullets is more better in my opinion.

I had read that the Taurus line was now available with a six inch barrel and we both really like that for the increase in accuracy over a longer range which is why I hadn't just started with the Smith and Wesson.

I really want to maximize functionality AND quality and it is looking like there are some trade-offs to consider. It IS a "niche" tool. We are already well covered for guns to do particular jobs but obvously there has not been much offered with the range of capabilities these have.

I may go with a little shorter barrel than the six inch? I am 50 and work hard to stay in good shape but diminishing returns are the rule over time. At 60 and 70 I still want to be comfortable to use it.

I do want a new one. No telling what previous owners ran through a gun... Maybe that is not an issue, but I do not see ever buying another gun for my personal use and I would like to be the only owner.
rj5156

Postby rj5156 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:13 pm

I am not thrilled with cylinder aligmnent issues. Been doing some research. Here is what I found.

VERY good discussion of the topic here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... lem-or-not

And info about how to check out a revolver before purchase. I need to print this out and go through it with something we've got until I have it down:

https://thefiringline.com/Misc/library/ ... check.html
rj5156

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Gentlemen..and Ladies,

TO my surprise I did not know that Smith and Wesson had also entered this marketplace of the .410/.45 Long Colt market ...and also enabled their pistol to shoot 45 ACP rounds.

This is how my Taurus Tracker in .45ACP is set up with the moon type clips to hold the .45ACP bullets in place.

I do like the idea of also being flexible sufficient to handle .45 ACP as well..but do not think it as powerful close up as the .45 Long Colt. The Long Colt has a heavier bullet ..I think...some 250/255 grains.

Were I to make this purchase of a Judge I would prefer the 6 inch barrel....longer sight radius.
Wonder if Taurus will eventually adapt their newer line of Judges to accommodate the .45ACP cartridge??

Thanks rj5156 for making me aware that Smith and Wesson as well ..has entered this marketplace.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby rj5156 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:25 pm

Major French wrote:Stoke that baby with three-inch buck shot buckshot and it's an awesome scorpion/snake/home invasion crew gun at room length range. What speed loaders are you planning on using with it, too.

Good question Major French, and I had not thought about that. Something to look at. Thank you.
rj5156

Next

Return to Guns