• Advertisement

Taurus Judge

Topics about guns

Re: Taurus Judge

Postby rj5156 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:06 pm

I have been searching for info about the Taurus Judge and not found anything about anyone using it for self-defense Orangetom. What you said about today's metallurgy too, we were talking about that, and feeling thankful to live now and not "back then"! I am really wanting the 6 inch barrel with the 3 inch cylinder, still thinking on that.

Ajax your comments are very helpful. I am betting your friend has the model with a 6 inch barrel? Just curious, do you recall the cylinder length?

Brian showed me the Taurus Raging Judge today. Ooooh Ahhhh! Holds six rounds and also takes 454 casull round in addition to the 410 and 45.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/taur ... um-review/

We are just looking at this point. Need to check with our local dealer and see what be thinks / if he can get them.

I have read that parts are just not available, guns must be sent back to the factory for repair and I do NOT like that! Been considering taking a gunsmithing course since I've already got most of the tools and equipment for repairs and it would bite me right in my life philosophy if I could not work on my own gun!

It would be fair to add that I've found info about multiple gun manufacturers having issues with quality though, looks like it's fairly common. Given how many of them are made, it kind of comes as no surprise.
rj5156

Postby rj5156 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:30 pm

I'm just hauling the govt 45 around when I work around the house. If I'm in the garden, on one of the steep banks, close in. It's just something to give me cover if I need it, to get to the real gun tucked up out of sight but as easily accessible as I can keep it.

I'm a 12 guage pump shotgun kind of gal at heart but it's too big to drag around on my person all day when I'm working hard. More firepower is more better in any situation though so I've liked the idea of the multiple ammunition features of the Taurus. I'd use it in the same way as I do the 45.

I really should drag it along when I go out with the dogs or to turn the generator off at night too. Spent much of my life alone in the woods with my own critters and I don't fret overmuch about it but prevention is always best. We've been talking about that, doesn't take long to form a habit and that would be a good one.

Under any ordinary circumstances I wouldn't have any problems because our dogs and cats keep a very close eye on what is happening in the woods around us and I'd have time to go fetch a shotgun. They come get me and tell me quietly if something unusual is out there. Better safe than sorry though.

I don't know much about guns and ammo but I started shooting at age 7. Dad laid us girls down on the ground with the 22 sandbagged and worked us up from there. By 12 I was out shooting skeet and targets, Dad was in a local shooting club and did some gun repair too. They all let me shoot whatever they had and I have run a lot of loads through a lot of different guns over my lifetime.

We had all the reloading equipment and I have a gift for repetitive tasks so I put in a lot of hours following instructions EXACTLY, reloading rounds for all of us to shoot. We poured some rounds, I built a muzzle-loader, just redneck fun and games.

The 12 guage is a big much for my shoulders for sport shooting nowadays but I'll take the hits and pay for it later if I need to. Brian's 1911 is really too big for me too, but anything under that is still fine for a little while, though I damaged my hands reskinning the floors on c-5's and 141s in the Air Force. 12 hours a day 7 days a week on a rivet gun, switching hands when one went numb, until it was done. Still hurts.

I go for the Ruger 22 semi-automatic or a high velocity BB gun for recreational shooting these days. Guns have always just been another tool in my life. I appreciate and respect them.

I'm sure glad to live in a time when I can use the internet to get information and ask questions. I remember when I had to look that stuff up, the piles of gun magazines and reference books, it was a lot harder back then.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and experience and assistance.
rj5156

Postby rj5156 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:58 am

Comparing the Taurus Judge and the Magnum Research:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... earch-bfr/

Specs on the Magnum Research:

http://www.magnumresearch.com/firearms/ ... barrel.asp

The Magnum research weighs in at five pounds. I love the idea - but it's too much for me. It does come in some different cylinder and barrel lengths, all of them are big - and heavy. With the heavy frame and long barrel it can take the 45 “+P” and "+P+" rounds, not just the standard ones.

It also comes with a removable choke tube, which isn't really a bonus for what I wanted, have to take it off to load alternating rounds anyhow and I'll just use my 410 if I only want to shoot a 410 round.

It deserves consideration in the comparison though. SOLID piece of work. Spendy too of course.
rj5156

Postby orangetom1999 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:21 pm

rj5156,

I've never heard of that company...Magnum Research..nor that they produced a gun capable of .410 and .45 calibration.

That is indeed a heavy gun.

A 1911 Colt is heavy enough...wow...that surely is a heavy gun to carry. Probably best to carry such on a chest rig....underarm rig.

I expect at that weight the recoil would not be as bad.

Yes it is a bit pricey.

Thanks for waking me up to this firearm by Magnum Research.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby IceFire » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:38 am

Orangetom,

Magnum Research is the company that makes the Desert Eagle, mini Eagle, etc., among others.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby orangetom1999 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:12 am

IceFire wrote:Orangetom,

Magnum Research is the company that makes the Desert Eagle, mini Eagle, etc., among others.

Ahhhhh...ok...I believe you are correct. I did not recognize the name as such. Thanks also for reminding me.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby IceFire » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 pm

orangetom1999 wrote:
IceFire wrote:Orangetom,

Ahhhhh...ok...I believe you are correct. I did not recognize the name as such. Thanks also for reminding me.

Orangetom

No problem. We've had both Desert Eagle and Mini Eagle, so that's why I knew.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby thegman » Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 am

I carry a Judge in my bug out bag that I carry when I am out on my property. It is very versatile and I carry several different shells for it. It is ported so the recoil is very tolerable compared to most Judges with out the port. I would post a picture of it but don't know how to insert an image. Might be because I a new to the forum.
thegman

Postby BigOrange75 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:57 am

Let me throw in on the 410/45 discussion. I wanted a small pistol to carry when deer hunting mainly for snakes other ugly critters but would also conceal easily. I have a friend who has a Judge and loves it and also has the Circuit Judge rifle version. Shot them and nothing wrong with either one but wanted a little smaller. I wound up with a Bond Arms Snake Slayer derringer. Stainless steel 3" over/under double barrel single trigger. It is strictly a close range weapon, when you put a 2 1/2" 410 shell in you have no barrel left. I tried a #4 shell at 10' from a 410 H&R shotgun and it had a 4" pattern. Same shell from the pistol had a 4' pattern, definetly a close range weapon. When you pull the trigger you better have a good hold on it or it may smack you in the face, more kick than my Ruger 44, but I like it. It is what I keep next to the bed and is usually my carry weapon. I don't remember the name on them but the shells I keep in it are personal defense 410 rounds that have 3 copper discs backed up with bb's.
BigOrange75
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Guns