• Advertisement

Looking for information on chemicals

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Looking for information on chemicals

Postby Murby » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:21 am

Does anyone know where I can find a good list of commonly found products that can be harvested for chemicals?

For instance, if you need sulfuric acid, any car battery..

If you need Methanol, any auto parts store or gas station has the fuel dry additive that is all methanol..

Drain cleaner is Sodium Hydroxide.

Etc, etc...

I'm in the process of putting a library together and will be storing it on DVD's, CDrom, and a flashdrive.. Then protected with a laptop in a Faraday cage.
Murby

Re: Looking for information on chemicals

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:52 am

old chemistry books covering many aspects & areas of chemical usage ...

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1297

all kinds of chem formulas ....

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1327

here's a section with some "housewife" chemistry ....

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1867

whole section on solvents & glues ....

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=3131
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Murby » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 am

Maybe I didn't describe what I'm looking for.

I saw a list once... it was about three or four pages long and listed all the common chemicals we use in society and what products contain them.
Murby

Postby Murby » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:05 am

Wife found it.
Murby

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:29 pm

share?
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Murby » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:05 pm

I remember seeing a more complete list that went both ways in referencing what was what... I think there was even a spreadsheet for it.
Attachments
Common chemicals.pdf
(190.91 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Common and Trade Names of Chemicals.pdf
(356.56 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Chemicals in the Home _ Basic Chemistry.pdf
(334.15 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Murby

Postby contrarian » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:old chemistry books covering many aspects & areas of chemical usage ...<SNIP>

Great collection of LOTS of information. Best of all from late 1800's to early 1900's -- right about where we could be if . . . . .

Thanks
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:25 am

Greetings Murby and welcome to APN. First off, A big hat tip to Illini Warrior to his links. I will be down loading these PDFs for days!

Murby did not provide a definition of common chemicals in his OP. As a chemist in the oilfield, my list of common and yours may differ...YUK YUK YUK!

The links you provided are purty good shortform references with a few errors. I have slow download through 6 inches of snow on my satellite antenna ATM so i have only reviewed the first PDF that you linked. A glaring error that i saw was that dextrose was confused with glucose. Both are useful sugars but ARE NOT THE SAME! Particularly if mixing IV solutions. Another caution that i will add is that OTS "chemicals" are not likely to be the same formulation as the same branded products from the 70s or 80s due to proliferation of use in the illicit drug trade, restriction by a fedgov agency for no good reason or too many accidents by stupid people.

I do not know your experience or education but strongly suggest acquiring, at very least, an introductory education in chemistry at the local trade school or Jr college. Knowledge is a powerful thing but a little knowledge is a dangerous tool and a fearful master.

One more thing...just inquiring about about availability of some very useful chemicals can flag you as a ner do well...no matter whether you are preventing a fungus in horse hooves or cooking methamphetamine...same compound...vastly dissipate uses.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:44 am

Pedro wyoming wrote: Knowledge is a powerful thing but a little knowledge is a dangerous tool and a fearful master.

pW

Oooooo.....Me likey. :thumbup:

Thanks for the links Murby
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Murby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:34 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
Pedro wyoming wrote: Knowledge is a powerful thing but a little knowledge is a dangerous tool and a fearful master.

pW

Oooooo.....Me likey. :thumbup:

Thanks for the links Murby

You're welcome!
This all started several years ago.. We're on well water and we get rust stains in the shower. One hot summer day, my wife was busy trying to remove them all.. she tried every store bought product she could find.. all claiming to remove the stains but none worked so well. She was there for two hours scrubbing her rear end off on those shower tiles.

I got to thinking that instead of attacking the problem with manual labor, the mind is mightier than the sword and there had to be a better way.. Then it hit me... In my days of designing metal plating systems, I remember that phosphoric acid turned iron oxide into iron phosphate.. Hmm.. its not like I have a 55 gallon drum of phosphoric acid laying around.. But then I remembered when I was a kid rebuilding my hot rod Z28, I used a product called "Rust Mort" that was pretty much just phosphoric acid.. Sure enough, the local hardware store had it in stock.. (even though it had a different name). Brought it home, mixed it 1 part to 4 parts water, put it in the spray bottle, and it took me less than 5 minutes (and zero elbow grease) to clean the shower spotless.. then the dishwasher.. then the toilets, kitchen sink, laundry sink.. There was barely a rusty water stain left in the house by the time I was done.

And all for a $3 bottle of the stuff that I didn't even use half of.

Knowing what chemicals are in different consumer products can go a long way.. Even better is knowing how to react these products together to make new chemicals..
Murby

Return to General Preparedness Discussion