• Advertisement

RELOADING

Topics about guns

RELOADING

Postby donba » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:11 am

If I missed a thread please direct me. I would like to get a couple of books on the basics of reloading. Something someone that has no idea about reloading is all about, :? can learn enough to decide to get involved or not. :blush: Also maybe which is the best way to equip myself. A single set up like Lee loaders or one that can do mutable cal and Ga. I am a complete newbe on this.
donba

Re: RELOADING

Postby Cast Iron » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:05 am

I started with this book: The ABCs of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert, older edition though.
Do not read it once. Read it three or four times till you have complete understanding of the material.

And a few reloading books, Hornady at first. Later I added Lapua, Nosler, Lyman.

While dated, the Lapua manual was a excellent resource for nearly everything concerning reloading. I liked their explanation of Maximum Point Blank Range and they even provided tables for MPBR on a three inch target.

Some manuals are specific to their brand of bullets, i.e. Hornady will list only their bullets, Nosler theirs etc.
Some will only list a given brand of powders.

It is common practice to have multiple books on hand to cross reference or allow the reloader not to be limited to a given brand.

Bare in mind, all the manufactures listings are in controlled lab conditions, generally using Universal Receivers of a given barrel length or a particular fire arm. Their listings are suggested starting and maximum loads, and should get the reloader into the approximate FPS range. The only way to truly gauge a load for a rifle is to shoot it across a chronograph.
Every rifle is different, even those of the same make and model. Some will be more accurate with one load over another.
Faster is not always better.

I started with Lee, and have ever since, going on sixteen years now.
Some will dismiss Lee as a discount brand. I have had excellent results and many others have too.
Their customer service is excellent. I got a case jammed in a die, my fault, too much coffee that morning. I mailed it in to them asking for a quote to get it fixed. They did not bother calling me, but fixed it, cleaned it and sent it back with a handwritten thank you note. They sent the case back too.

Read a lot, ask a lot of questions. Best if you know someone who does their own reloads, and learn from them.
But I did it just by reading, and following the manuals. Still here, still have all my fingers, and my face has not been blown off.
I know. Someone reading that last sentence finished it with, ". . . yet!" ;)
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby apache235 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:37 am

The thing to remember about reloading is patience and 2) if something doesn't feel or look right, it probably isn't. I started reloading in 1961 or thereabouts and I think I'm getting the hang of it, but I'm still capable of making mistakes - trying to seat a large primer in a small primer case (.45 ACP), forgot to lube a 300 BLK case and got it stuck ((Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) to remove) but if you stop when something doesn't feel right you can catch your mistakes and turn them into a learning experience. It's not hard, it is fun, you do save money (sort of since you shoot more)and you can take pride in the fact that your ammo is darn good stuff. Read the books, ask questions here, and go for it. One last thing, if in doubt - throw it out, or at least pull the bullet and re-do. If you can't remember what powder is in you measure - dump it. Mistaking unique for bullseye is not good. I wonder what primers those are? Pitch them. Small rifle primers in a 9mm probably won't fire as the cup is much harder (at least they won't in my guns) and now you have 200 rounds that you have to pull and re-do, worse is small pistol in a high pressure rifle round. Things may sound scary but it really is common sense and paying attention.
apache235

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:47 am

Good luck with the new pursuit- I am a second generation reloader and learn most of what I know from "apprenticing" with my dad for years. Still reload with him to this day and I can honestly say that having someone who has years of knowledge to bounce ideas and issues off of is priceless. Books are great but you will have issues that pop up.

many of the press Manufacturer's are including DVDs with their presses and you can also find stuff on their websites and YouTube
3ADScout

Postby Fullmoon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:44 am

The Lyman Reloading Manual as well as the Speer manual dedicate the first half of their books to step by step procedures for inspecting components and the complete process of reloading ammunition. You may be able to sneak a peak inside these manuals for free online at Amazon. Once equipped and set up you can start with small test batches of 5 or 10 rounds to test the powder load and accuracy and also to see if the rounds will chamber correctly. After you determine the most accurate load you may start to mass produce quality ammunition. There are many U-TUBE video's available on the internet showing the basics, might be worth some time to watch just to get some idea of the basics. I started out with an RCBS single stage press way back in the 1970s but have since moved up to a Dillon Square Deal progressive press that (once set up correctly) can spit out high volumes of quality ammunition, like 300 rounds per hour of 9MM or 45, should have bought a Dillon many years ago. The Dillon 650 will load both pistol and rifle ammunition with a die change over kit.
If you have the ability to do machinist's or light mechanic work you could master the reloading process. I have known people who invested lots of money in equipment to reload ammunition but they could not grasp the basics, having never had a job where they had to use their hands. They can't even change the spark plugs in their car. A little common sense and ability goes a long way in learning to reload.
Fullmoon

Postby MrDanB » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:27 pm

donba- I bought the ABC's of reloading at a second hand store years back. Great read! Heed the precautions and you will be just fine. I also agree that watching someone else the first time helps. Reloading falls under the same safety as electricity: Respect it, always! Double loading powder, interruptions, incorrect sizing. Lots can go wrong. You just need to take your time and go slow. Even when you've been doing it for years, take your time and go slow... It's only the unknown that is keeping you from doing it. ;) IMHO, some of the benefits: A better load for your rifle, making it more accurate, learning a new skill, having a way to make your own if the shelves go bare etc. If you rush or get distracted easily, you may want to watch a bunch of youtube or dvd vids first. Hope that helps some. Good luck with it!
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby IceFire » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Hornady (ammo manufacturer) is actually going to be sponsoring a reloading class in my area next month. I signed up (so far, the ONLY woman on the list...the rest are all guys) so will hopefully be getting some more info on it soon. They are also doing a promotion where if you buy certain reloading equipment, you can get either 100 or 500 free bullets for reloading.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby donba » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Went on amazon; Beginning guide to reloading, and the A B C of reloading. are on the way. This is a start, I am thinking of going with the Lee loaders that way who ever needs which loader they can share, 2 boys, 3 grandsons, 1 Grandson-in-law, 2 great-grandsons. Most have shown some interest in reloading.
donba

Postby danthman114 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:51 am

I learned off a Speer book and lots of questions. The best thing to do is have someone that knows how there with you. The Lee book is probably the most versatile when it comes to load data. They have many manufacturers in it...
danthman114

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:17 am

donba wrote:Went on amazon; Beginning guide to reloading, and the A B C of reloading. are on the way. This is a start, I am thinking of going with the Lee loaders that way who ever needs which loader they can share, 2 boys, 3 grandsons, 1 Grandson-in-law, 2 great-grandsons. Most have shown some interest in reloading.

Good luck and by all means, feel free to ask questions.

Would you be so kind to clarify "Lee Loaders?"

I actually started with this one as I lived in a very small apartment: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/66554 ... hand-press

Later I upgraded to a turret press.

I have these too: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/73572 ... winchester
Shockingly easy. All that was needed aside components was a mallet or hunk of wood. Made good rounds too.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby danthman114 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:51 am

The Lee loader is a cheap press like package. Sewhat dangerous if you go too fast. I had a primer detonation on 45lc. Wasn't fun at all. http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/ ... er-pistol/
But, if someone wanted to reload it would be the cheapest way to start. I still use a Lee hand press even tho I have a Hornady progressive and a rock chucker. Mostly because most of the year it over 120 degrees in my garage.
danthman114

Postby Dirk Williams » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Virtually ever bullet maker, every case maker markets a loading book. I've got a shelf that 8 ft long with all the different books. It's interesting to observe the older books data, and modern books data, and how the loads,are,powdered down, I'm guessing for liability.

Good advice above.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby donba » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:07 am

Thank you all finished the first read of the beginner's guide to reloading. Started the A B C's of reloading. Was look ing at kits like on the link by danthman114. Need to get reading..........
donba

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:53 am

donba wrote:Thank you all finished the first read of the beginner's guide to reloading. Started the A B C's of reloading. Was look ing at kits like on the link by danthman114. Need to get reading..........

Keep in mind, most of the Lee Loader Pistol kits will full length resize.
The Rifle kits ONLY neck resize. For reloading semi-auto, lever actions rifles you will need a regular set of rifle dies for that caliber and a press.

The hand press works, but if you are expecting to go for the long haul, I would recommend a press.

I like the turret press, as I got additional plates for each caliber and can swap them out in a matter of seconds.
Cast Iron

Postby orangetom1999 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am

There are some excellent posts by members on reloading here.

I have used the Hornady reloading books for years before I suddenly realized that they area using only Hornady bullets in their tables.

Also there is some variation between loading tables for different posters..on line.

Hence your taking it slow is a good idea ...read and study.

I began learning to reload 41 Magnum ammo...intending to download my charges as I did not like the high power of factory ammo.

It has been a real learning experience very different from loading .38 Specials, 357 Magnums, or 45 ACPs.

Caution is the order of the day here...

Reload Pistol as well as rifle here.

Oh..and I started with a single stage RCBS press....now I have upgraded to a Lee turret press with four positions and also have upgraded to a RCBS Rock Chucker press for specifically the heavy duty job of resizing one sized brass to another size...or using a parent case to change it to another size or caliber. This often requires a heavy duty press.
This resizing of brass from one caliber to another was a learning experience in itself...

Oh...and I asked opinions from the members on here concerning this resizing of brass from one caliber to another...and this is what decided me on getting the heavy duty single stage RCBS Rock Chucker. I had broken my previous light duty Lee reloading press in working this specific task.
Since purchasing this RCBS Rock Chucker ...and occasionally taking opinions of those with experience with it..I have heard few complaints and mostly compliments on the Rock Chucker press for this kind of resizing. The RCBS Rock Chucker has been a sound investment...and an excellent name for this press.
I am grateful to the members here for their views and opinions on this product.

Oh...and I am not pushing the Rock Chucker here...

Your number one consideration in getting into reloading is finances....the initial investment can be expensive once you get going.

I started reloading with these little Lee loaders in the boxes...no press involved. Reloading 30.06. and .30 Carbine and with a rubber hammer.. This is how I economically began reloading. Only later did I graduate to a press.

Thanks to all for their posts,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Next

Return to Guns