• Advertisement

RELOADING

Topics about guns

Re: RELOADING

Postby danthman114 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:18 pm

donba wrote:Thank you all finished the first read of the beginner's guide to reloading. Started the A B C's of reloading. Was look ing at kits like on the link by danthman114. Need to get reading..........

If you get one of those Lee loaders BE CAREFUL. Don't have any powder near by. They may be cheap but the chance of a primer detonation is higher than other kits due to the fact that a mallet is used. I have one but never use it. You would be better off getting the Lee hand press. http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/650614 ... oCAQfw_wcB

You still need other equipment like a tumbler, a trimmer, a deburring tool, scale and or dippers, dial calipers, an inertia hammer Incase you need to take apart your rounds.
danthman114

Postby donba » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:15 pm

I realize there will be other tools needed. Some for reloading only, some will be multi use, some I already have. 6 months before, I retired 10 years ago, the company I was working for required an inventory and replacement cost from sears. Including tool boxes I came in second in value with $ 10,000.00. Another mech. had just bought a new 5 foot bottom box, I still say he cheated. I was looking at that Hand press also, one is on my list.....
donba

Postby orangetom1999 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:37 pm

danthman114 is correct..no matter what system one is using. I use a RCBS hand primer with the primers in a plastic feeding magazine. I don't prime cases with powder out in the open. Simple safety. I prime cases as a total separate step unto itself even though my press is set up to load primers as part of the sizing sequence. I still prime by hand...and as a separate step.

I've had primers go off using the mallet technique. Fortunately I did not have any powder out. It gives one a serious pucker ride when you realize what just happened.

It is your time, your monies , and your risk.

I just don't prime with powder out and loose. I also wear safety glasses. My safety glasses are prescription safety glasses but still I wear them.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby Reloader762 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:52 am

If there is a specific brand or brands of bullets that you want to shoot exclusively then buy the reloading manual for that brand. For me personally the Lyman reloading manuals have always been my go to manual even though I have several other ones I haven't updated them in years,Lyman manuals are not brand specific as they offer load date with several option from different bullet mfg. along with a couple different cast bullets load using Lyman molds. If the bullet you like isn't listed in the Lyman manual you can use one that is the same weight but not heavier with a similar profile start with the starting load and work the load up in your gun.

If you like casting your own bullet or shooting cast lead bullets in rifles and handguns then the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual is a must it will have several differ mold designs from Lee,RCBS,SAECO as well as Lyman. If the bullet your casting or shooting is not from one of those listed but from a custom mold maker like NOE or Accurate just to name a couple you can use data with a bullet of the same weight or less with a similar profile working up the load for the starting load listed. The Cast Bullet Manual will also have powders that you can use with cast lead loads especially for rifles that you want find in any other reloading manual. The manual is also a great recourse for information on lead and lead based alloy,casting,shooting and hunting.

I'll be having a little casting secession today with two new molds I recently picked up one is the NOE .385 124 gr. TC bullet I'll be casting for my 9mm and the other is my Accurate .315" 2.15 gr. FN gas check bullet I'll be developing a load for in my Mosin rifles.

NOE 124 gr.

Accurate 215 gr.
Reloader762

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Just had my first experience reloading with RCBS dies . . .
Not impressed.

I have never had to use a allen key, or a pair of vice-grips and a wrench to adjust a seater die. The threads binded a lot too. Made it difficult to feel when the seater body touched the brass mouth, or when the seater plug touched the bullet flat nose.

The resizing die decapper pin did not impress me either. Kept moving, despite torquing down on the lock ring.

I will stick with Lee.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Dirk Williams » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:57 pm

. Nothing against Lee, good kit, I've just always used RCBS for, my precision bullets. Which Class of Dies were you using? The lower end dies can be a problem. And if loose, the depriiming pin can be a real pain. I keep a dozen extra pins on hand for " those" days.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:. Nothing against Lee, good kit, I've just always used RCBS for, my precision bullets. Which Class of Dies were you using? The lower end dies can be a problem. And if loose, the depriiming pin can be a real pain. I keep a dozen extra pins on hand for " those" days.

Dirk

Not entirely sure as to what class of dies.

Reloading for a co-worker. She brought me the dies, carbide, and the other components.

Other than the once in awhile clean and lubing, Lee dies never required additional tools for making adjustments.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt. She did say they were her fathers dies and he passed on a few years ago. Perhaps they were just stuck.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Reloader762 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:26 pm

All my reloading equipment is a mix of Lyman,RCBS or Lee. My Lyman Orange Crusher press is 40 years old,I though about upgrading one time but just never did she took me this far so I'm sticking with it till the end. I bought the press in a kit,I'm still using the case trimmer although I've added a power assist shaft to make trimming my converted 9mm to 9 x 18 Mak cases and the .308 Win. case I convert to 300 Sav.

I also have a RCBS Lube A Matic that I bought off Ebay that came with 10 different sizer dies,eight of which I could use right off on bullets I was already casting. I also use a Lee Universal Expander die along with several neck expander plugs made by NOE they basically turn the die into a Lyman M die to expand and flair the case necks for different dia cast bullets.

I gave the D7 scales that came with the kit to a friend that was just getting into reload,I had a set of Dillon scales already and I gave my brother the #55 Lyman powder dumper as I had a RCBS DUO Measurer that I had picked up on the cheap years before. I also use a RCBS Lil Dandy along with 10 different rotors for all my pistol loads as well as some of my cast rifle loads.

As for dies I have just the basic 2 an 3 die sets by Lyman,RCBS an Lee, two of the 4 dies sets are from Lee that have the FCD. Never had any problems with any of the die set old or new,I just take them apart clean them up for the task at hand. I also use a Lee Universal Decapper on occasion when I'm punching out crimped in primers.

I used to prime on the press when I first got started but I have two of the old Lee round head priming tools that I have one set up to do SP/SR and the other is for LP/LR. I put a bit of moly grease on the hinge point about once a year and I never had one of the break,I think the oldest one is probably 30 years old or so.
Reloader762

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:19 am

When I first started reloading, I was a poor LCpl.
Lee was all I could afford.

Since then looked at some others, Forester, L.E. Wilson, but never pushed the "Add to Cart" button.

As an experiment last night, I took all the Lee dies out of the turret plate, gave all the lock rings a few spins in either direction, took the seating plug all the way up.
Then, went about recalibrating them for a given load.

Significantly easier.
Cast Iron

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:07 am

Got to thinking about other dies, window shopping on line when I came across micro-seater dies. Prices varied, $70, $180, $200+.

I would still have to check the seating depth against a caliper.
So, why bother the expense of an expensive seating die, when I will just measure it again anyways? I know some who shoot competitively measure every bullet after seating.
Why not just get a bullet comparator, measure off the Ogive rather than the Meplat and be done with it. Lot cheaper too.

I could see the ease to readjust a die to a depth that worked for a given load.
Cast Iron

Previous

Return to Guns