• Advertisement

CA: Oroville dam collapse feared

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: CA: Oroville dam collapse feared

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:10 am

Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby rickdun » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 am

Good article CI, looks like the state built and state owned ignored the request/concerns back in 2005 because it was too expensive for california to pay for the upgrades. I hope DJT ignores a request for funding, let the libs pay for it.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:36 am

I hope and pray the people in the affected area are all safely evacuated and that they'll be able to stop a dam failure from washing away people's homes and businesses. I hope none of our CA APN friends are in the threat area.

I'm monitoring this and thinking about how I'd evacuate. One vehicle, limited notice, and the possibility that anything left behind is gone forever. Do you give yourself 2 minutes, 20 minutes, 2 hours to pack up a vehicle?
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby danthman114 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:41 am

Trump will help even though probably everyone in that area thinks that he's not their president.
danthman114

Postby Mollypup » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:06 pm

NJMike wrote:I hope and pray the people in the affected area are all safely evacuated and that they'll be able to stop a dam failure from washing away people's homes and businesses. I hope none of our CA APN friends are in the threat area.

I'm monitoring this and thinking about how I'd evacuate. One vehicle, limited notice, and the possibility that anything left behind is gone forever. Do you give yourself 2 minutes, 20 minutes, 2 hours to pack up a vehicle?

I'm hoping the same thing. Also that no one gets hurt during the evacuation process.

As per evacuating on limited notice with a possibility everything is gone forever......... Grab important documents (birth certificates, deeds ect), several changes of clothing (essentials, it's not a fashion show), & food and water because everyone else is also evacuating & you're going to be in that vehicle quite a while. Make sure to have any necessary meds. If you have time blankets & pillows. I've had to do it......not fun. But managed in under 15 minutes.

California is guilty of the same thing every other state is guilty of.......I wonder just how many dams & spillways across the country are in bad repair & would react similarly. Most likely an awful lot of them, especially if it has been some time since the last flooding.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Politics aside, this country does need to address aging infrastructure, namely the electrical grid.

While I am not a fan of higher taxes, to pay for improvements, upgrades, repairs, of public infrastructure I do not see as a bad thing.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:15 pm

These are state owned dams. So it should be the state paying the repair bill.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby donba » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:50 pm

The state owns the dams sells water to the water to various agencies. Los Angeles Water and Power and several others. Any work needed on the dams would be charged against the price of the water. that would be raised by a tripling and charged to their customers. These companies are so bad they are being constantly sued.
donba

Postby anita » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:03 pm

I noticed in that Mercury News article that Cast Iron wrote that FERC was involved in making the decision to downplay the risk. If I remember correctly, FERC is the same group that has downplayed/slow-walked hardening the electrical grid against an EMP.
anita

Postby IceFire » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:18 pm

My Dad grew up in Oroville...we used to go up there all the time to visit my Grandfather. I still remember the fighting that went on about building the dam in the first place (a LOT of people were displaced due to the dam construction and creation of the lake), then my Grandfather would take us to see the dam under construction.

My mother currently lives in Chico, just north of there. They are currently sending evacuees from Oroville north to Chico and also to Paradise, (further up into the mountains) and evacuees from south of Oroville to points south, east, and west.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby BK in KC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:02 pm

I pray that there is no loss of life. I know we like to make fun of California as full of hippy liberals but the truth is that California is a big state and northern CA (where this dam is) is fairly conservative. These people don't deserve this.

Having said that, CA has wasted something like $3 billion on high-speed rail that nobody needs but couldn't be bothered to properly maintain this dam even after repeated warnings that something like this was inevitable. Now Governor Brown wants federal disaster relief money to fix this mess that he and his cronies made. No.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions." --James Lileks

Drink the Kool-Aid: it’ll taste sweet. That burning sensation in your throat is just that feeling of liberation, as your soul separates from your flesh.
BK in KC

Postby air commando » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:50 am

daaswampman wrote:It will be interesting to hear the whole story. After all it is California and they go nuts over endangered minnows or birds nobody has seen in fifty years!

I think the area in question is mostly of earthen construction and has experienced years of extreme drought. What happens when a dried out foundation is suddenly saturated??? Will these mysteries ever end??? Swamp

Exactly what I was thinking, it's the same thing you see every time you have a place in desert that gets a ton of water. It can't be absorbed into the ground quickly enough so you see mudslides and flash flooding. I don't know if this will put them back in drought conditions if they lose all of this water but I'm sure it will.

Something to be said for nature doing what she wants.
air commando

Postby air commando » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:01 am

Cast Iron wrote:This link has some good pics: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/12/o ... years-ago/

All of the comments are hilarious, just blaming the Dems for mismanagement of everything. I feel for the families and I hate for anyone to lose their home or their valuables but if it were me I would pack up what I like, get to a safe place and then hope the dam fails so I can move to another state and start fresh.
air commando

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 am

BK in KC wrote:I pray that there is no loss of life. I know we like to make fun of California as full of hippy liberals but the truth is that California is a big state and northern CA (where this dam is) is fairly conservative. These people don't deserve this.

Having said that, CA has wasted something like $3 billion on high-speed rail that nobody needs but couldn't be bothered to properly maintain this dam even after repeated warnings that something like this was inevitable. Now Governor Brown wants federal disaster relief money to fix this mess that he and his cronies made. No.

Listen, I don't want any loss of life or homes of course, BUT SCREW CA!!!!

I live here.

We have NO ONE to blame or cry too(The amount of liberal tears here are already enough to blow thru all our dams) but ourselves.
Screw Brown. Screw all of SF, LA, Sacramento, and every self proclaimed sanctuary city in the entire state!!!!....They want to flaunt federal law but come crying for federal funds at the drop of a hat. F THEM!

Decades of mismanagement is the issue here. There were years and years and years of time to fix this problem during the drought and it was noted an issue over 12 years ago...they did NOTHING!!!

This is an "Emergency of self made Chaos" buy allocating taxpayer funds in the wrong areas thru mismanagement and fleecing the taxpayer coffers with out and out thievery.....like for example the hiring of ERIC HOLDER to "Save us from Trump".....Give me a F'ing break..........SMH.

F them.
F them.
F them.

Now ask me how I really feel..... :rofl:

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Lance » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Soooo..........that river goes right through the middle of Sacramento???
Make America Great Again........!!!
Lance

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Disasters