• Advertisement

CA: Oroville dam collapse feared

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: CA: Oroville dam collapse feared

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Lance wrote:Soooo..........that river goes right through the middle of Sacramento???

That's called river pollution.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby anita » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:50 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:
Lance wrote:Soooo..........that river goes right through the middle of Sacramento???

That's called river pollution.
Reb

It's called a good start. (I know--mean, mean, mean.)
anita

Postby daaswampman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:30 pm

air commando wrote:
daaswampman wrote:It will be interesting to hear the whole story. After all it is California and they go nuts over endangered minnows or birds nobody has seen in fifty years!

I think the area in question is mostly of earthen construction and has experienced years of extreme drought. What happens when a dried out foundation is suddenly saturated??? Will these mysteries ever end??? Swamp

Exactly what I was thinking, it's the same thing you see every time you have a place in desert that gets a ton of water. It can't be absorbed into the ground quickly enough so you see mudslides and flash flooding. I don't know if this will put them back in drought conditions if they lose all of this water but I'm sure it will.

Something to be said for nature doing what she wants.

Even without a failure, this will have a huge impact on California. Oroville Dam is an earthfill embankment dam. It is also fifty years old and built with the technology of the day!

They will be forced to lower water levels for inspections and repairs. That could be difficult until after the Spring Run Off.

But what the hell - if you were good living below a pile of gravel 770 foot high and holding an ocean, what's a leak or two? Swamp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embankment_dam
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby angie_nrs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:01 pm

NJMike wrote:I hope and pray the people in the affected area are all safely evacuated and that they'll be able to stop a dam failure from washing away people's homes and businesses. I hope none of our CA APN friends are in the threat area.

I'm monitoring this and thinking about how I'd evacuate. One vehicle, limited notice, and the possibility that anything left behind is gone forever. Do you give yourself 2 minutes, 20 minutes, 2 hours to pack up a vehicle?

I too feel bad for the folks that this will affect. It's just so ridiculous that CA didn't fix this problem when the perfect time presented itself.....like the past several years perhaps??? Especially since they knew this was a problem. I'll bet that if this dam was protecting Hollywood, it would have been taken care of. Sadly I don't think CA is the only state just waiting for infrastructure failures to happen. We'll likely see more and more of these failures as time goes on because our wonderful leaders think it's more important to spend our money on other stupid stuff. :crazy:

I saw a clip of folks evacuating the area. One person had a camper.....I thought there'd be more, but I only watched a very short clip. That's what I'd do. I'd hook up the camper and pack as quickly as possible putting the lighter items in the camper and the heavier items in the truck so as not to overload the camper. The last thing you'd need is a flat tire on the road from on overloaded camper. Extra fuel, water, and generator would go in the back of the truck....like it always does when we camp. It'd be hard to decide on the fly what goes and what stays after you pack the obvious things. However, in this instance I think I would've been packing for a while before the evacuation order actually came down.......
angie_nrs

Postby donba » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:11 pm

A new storm coming in this weekend, so we lift the evacuation order on 250,000 sheep. it rains as expected and 250,000 sheep have to be herded out agin. Most of those idiots will not fuel up their cars and will once agin jam up everything. Break out the pop-corn another liberal funded show.........
donba

Postby Christy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:03 am

So you live at the bottom of millions of gallons of water and you don't have a plan in place?

Years ago we lived within 20 miles of a nuclear plant, every year we had a "drill" put on by the county. Everyone would participate, you had your stuff ready to go, you knew where you were to go and where your kids would be, so forth and so on. They even evacuated the hospitals, long term care, schools, businesses, everything. Plus the nuclear plant shut down every year for repairs.

So why don't they do that for those living below an ocean? And where is the prepping mindsight for those people? Leaving pets, medicines, etc. Have they never heard of a bug out bag? Did FEMA not give them a web sight to go to after Katrina? Am I the only one that has our state government tell us to be prepared for 3-7 days in case of an emergency? We just got through living off of gennie power for a week after an ice storm, no big deal.

Sounds like a prime spot for a prepping convention/fair. The prepping business people should have already done bug out bags and get over there and make you some money.

Just another reason I live in the midwest. Our water is underground, our problem is getting it up, not having it come and wash us away.
Christy
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:08 am

:rofl:

donba wrote:A new storm coming in this weekend, so we lift the evacuation order on 250,000 sheep. it rains as expected and 250,000 sheep have to be herded out agin. Most of those idiots will not fuel up their cars and will once agin jam up everything. Break out the pop-corn another liberal funded show.........

Egg-ZACH-TALLY!!!!

2 more days of heavy rain Friday and Saturday..... Idiots.

This is going to be very :offtopic: but in a way it's not.
There has been at least 4 different books I've been reading that have tied in nicely with subjects here since joining in December. Prepper fiction. Fun stuff.

I know there's a different area to mention them but this one just has to be mentioned in this thread....California idiocy, Dams coming down, drought, People hating CA, CA threating to succeed.... Good action, a believable look into the future.(2054 I think?).....it's all there. Excellent read but only 2 books in the series so far...They lasted me 2 weeks of spare time reading.

If you have Kindle Unlimited they're free downloads..... "Fractured State" is book one, "Rouge State" is book two....Very enjoyable. https://www.amazon.com/Fractured-State-Book-ebook/dp/B018IAZMYW
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Dirk Williams » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:44 pm

These ARE NOT state dams, their federal. BOR dept of interior owned and operated. Keep in mind these are for pumping water to SoCal, the purse strings are controlled bu water agencies in SoCal.

My sources are my uncles who are dam plant mechanics on dams in the area. Folsom, and Shasta. Both are 30 plus year employees of BOR. I'm unaware of any actual,state owned big dams, lots and lots of PG&E dams, and other power related private companies own most of the dams.

In fact their getting ready to remove three of the four dams on the Klamath River drainage. Had this already occurred, these dams and the flooding would be world class, catastrophic.

Incidently, these private dams, mine the electricity produced by the hydro electric, and have minor crews ate each, generally a maintance guy or two, and an operator, who sends power down stream, for sale.

Most often it is we the people who pay the actual dam major maintance bills. We're screwed both ways, by paying for the power, and also for maintaining private enterprises dam costs.

A great system.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Dirk Williams » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:04 pm

I got part of my previous post wrong. Orville, IS owned and operated by California. My bad. Confused my dams.

Sorry to misled, corrected as soon as I re read my posts. Which I should do after everything I write.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby daaswampman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Off topic, but what the hell - this is funny! Swamp
Attachments
Trump.png
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby donba » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:00 pm

I know the libs will blame Trump for this, All his fault no infrastructure plan in place...Swamp that is funny .....
donba

Postby Dirk Williams » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Swamp, awesome!

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby JayJay » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Being posted now..Nevada Dam in trouble.
Called for evacuation, then called it off, then observing the situation. :? :? :? :?
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Previous

Return to Natural Disasters