• Advertisement

More about military field phones.

Post your items for sale or trade

Moderator: mmpaints

More about military field phones.

Postby maureenash » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:01 am

Sound powered telephone equipment provide facilities for talking and signalling with-out the use of any batteries or a power source. The telephone handset contains a sound-powered transmitter and receiver units.The field telephone set built into a metal case, the top of which can be closed without interference with the the instrument inside.It operates by batteries which are no longer available. Built in hand generator to ring the other phone.
http://www.essayguardian.com/
maureenash

Re: More about military field phones.

Postby danthman114 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:00 am

? Are you asking a question or selling something? Link?
danthman114

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:17 pm

I can do the same thing with 2 tin cans and a string.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:37 pm

I don't have any sound powered phones. I do have 4 German Field Telephones. I believe the Germans may have been among the last in NATO to use them. They use very common D batteries and can be useful for point to point communications if you have the cabling handy. You can also make your own cheap field phone-Lite with an old corded handset, a 9V battery and a resistor (around 300ohm). Google how to make your own intercom.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:55 pm

How commonly available are these military phones?

Pros and cons?

Training to implement?

Logistical support?
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby IceFire » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:06 pm

The OP was a spam poster, but apparently forgot their link. As to availability of old military field phones, I know that Sportsman's Guide carries them in their "military surplus" section.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 3ADScout » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:07 pm

I have 2 T/A 312 and 2 T/A-1 phones. The TA-1s do not require ANY batteries and are sound powered, with a range of about 4 miles. The TA-312 take 2 D cell Batteries but many people don't realize that the TA312 can be used without batteries for a distance of around 4 miles. If you use the 2 d cells it can go about 12. Sportsman guide has been offering brand new rolls of field phone wire for $27 which is incredibly cheap. Over the years I have managed to scrounge up some spare parts (going through $1 boxes at gun shows pays off) and even found some of the "crystals" that are used in the non-powered manual switchboard. Allows you to connect multiple phone when you want to. You don't need a switchboard you can wire them in a hot loop but all the phone will ring and everyone can hear the conversation, which isn't always bad. If you get a roll of wire try to find the reel handle it makes deploying and retrieving the wire very easy.
3ADScout

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:22 am

3ADScout wrote:I have 2 T/A 312 and 2 T/A-1 phones. The TA-1s do not require ANY batteries and are sound powered, with a range of about 4 miles. The TA-312 take 2 D cell Batteries but many people don't realize that the TA312 can be used without batteries for a distance of around 4 miles. If you use the 2 d cells it can go about 12. Sportsman guide has been offering brand new rolls of field phone wire for $27 which is incredibly cheap. Over the years I have managed to scrounge up some spare parts (going through $1 boxes at gun shows pays off) and even found some of the "crystals" that are used in the non-powered manual switchboard. Allows you to connect multiple phone when you want to. You don't need a switchboard you can wire them in a hot loop but all the phone will ring and everyone can hear the conversation, which isn't always bad. If you get a roll of wire try to find the reel handle it makes deploying and retrieving the wire very easy.

That is good information, thank you.

Say SHTF. Could one use currently ran cable (i.e. COAX) as wire?

If the gird is down, splice into the cable company lines?
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby 3ADScout » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:37 pm

I don't think you can use "cable" wire. You need a 2 wire cable like speaker wire set up (using speaker wire would be exspensive). I believe the newer digital field phones take a 4 wire cable but I'm not 100% sure of that since I was out before such "modern" convinces. There might be a way to use the old hard wire landline phone wires. I'll have to remember to ask a guy I know who is a Verizon line tech.

Something else we used the T/A-1's for was as a makeshift "blasting machine". We would take electric flashbulbs and rig them up on commo wire around our parameter during training. A push of the generator on the TA-1 would provide enough electric to set off a string of those flash bulbs- good for disorienting and ruining the night vision of those folks attacking up.
3ADScout

Postby dsk » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:25 pm

The wire needed might be less important on shorter runs, in dry weather a fence wire and ground may do for a few miles, in moist weather the wire has to be insulated, or on insulators. The preferable is a pair of twisted copper wire awg 20 shold do for a pretty long run.
dsk

Postby NJMike » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 am

Agree with TSK's response above. Tip and ring voice has been put on cattle fencing in the past as long as the wires were separated.

Not alot of cattle fence in my area though. I keep some CAT5E and CAT6 UTP on 1000' spools, and a mix of connecting hardware and tools.

In regards to coax, not sure but it might be possible with a passive balun adapter to convert back over to line cord. Lots of different types. Examples:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CCTV-Camera- ... s/47603780
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... pi=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&is=REG&A=details

Read specs/descriptions carefully, the Walmart example says CAT5, but doesn't have a plug&play RJ45 connector, it's 2 wire terminal. Also, transmission type is assuming CATV or similar if the distances appear short. It may possibly work longer for field phone transmission, assuming it works. I'll have to give it a try though. It would be useful to keep a coax crimper and appropriate ends on hand if that's the goal.

I do need to look at the sound powered units as options. That's better than stocking more D batteries.
NJMike

Return to For Sale & Trade