• Advertisement

Shall we play a game, IV?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Shall we play a game, IV?

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:04 pm

This may apply more to those of us in the upper latitudes or those in the higher elevations.
For those in the middle or upper lower latitudes, let us say a highly unusual prolonged cold front comes through.
Naturally, everyone is more than welcome to join in.

The situation: SHTF sometime in early to mid December. The snowplows quit running in late December due to the lack of fuel. For those in the middle or upper lower latitudes, apply the lack of fuel and what emergency snow removal your local has available.

It is mid-Feburary, More than a few snowstorms have passed through and another storm dropped over a foot of snow in the past twenty four hours. For those in the middle or upper lower latitudes, apply the last half of that sentence.
Side note: We recently got that much snow.

You need to get to a neighbor/location for an emergency. Medicine, cup of sugar, whatever.
It is approximately three miles away.
Mid-morning, temps in the upper teens lower twenties, with a wind chill of lower teens, but it is sunny and clear.

How do you get there?
How do you get back?
What do you take with you?
What clothing/equipment do you have for the journey?
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Re: Shall we play a game, IV?

Postby North County Guy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Seeing the SHTF coming, I have stocked up on supplies and limited my driving the use of my 4wheel drive, I also has tracks for my Polaris RZR. Living in rural area and on 2.5 acres I have room and am able to store gas in above tanks storage, 55-100 gallons is about the usual tank size. IF those are taken out, Snow shoes.
North County Guy

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:19 pm

North County Guy wrote:Seeing the SHTF coming, I have stocked up on supplies and limited my driving the use of my 4wheel drive, I also has tracks for my Polaris RZR. Living in rural area and on 2.5 acres I have room and am able to store gas in above tanks storage, 55-100 gallons is about the usual tank size. IF those are taken out, Snow shoes.

Can your 4wheel drive get through a few to several feet of snow?

Your Polaris RZR with tracks. Do you anticipate hostile forces, hearing your RZR coming, mounting an ambush?

Do you have said fuel stored now?
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Considering what I have in storage, the likely scenario is that people would be coming to me for help.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:26 pm

1st- If SHTF in December, I've hopefully relocated below the snow line well before February, or I've become a mole person crouched around a small heat source. Anyway...

3 miles in thick snow will be slow slow going. My local group had someone volunteer their own experience hiking a trail in snow. Itwas eye opening that an experienced hiker with top of the line winter gear was not able to make his daily travel rates and abandoned his hike after a few days in. He dealt with fire/stove failures, thick drifts to hike and being stuck in a sleeping bag with frozen zippers. So ideally I don't go out for a 3mile hike in thick snow and consider this a very risky endeavor and not a walk in the park.

What I might bring in general terms-
Warm Clothing, hand, foot, face protection. Including sunglasses to avoid snow blindness
Homemade snowshoes.
A compass and map with routes marked. Ideally I know the area I'm traveling in already. I doubt the 3 miles will be a straight line, so perhaps a longer hike.
A makeshift sled with some shelter in place supplies, some gifts for my visit (probably food), plus second change of clothing in dry bag
Frame backpack with first aid, insulated propane tank & stove (because butane is not as cold weather friendly), solid fuel stove as backup, fire starting x3 methods (assuming difficulty in cold weather), emergency blankets, hand warmers, some food/water filter, and a portable shovel to make shelter in the snow. Essentials are on the frame pack and not on the sled in case I have to ditch or decide to stash the sled somewhere along the route.
Personal protection would be something I can use with gloves that operates well in the cold. and of course a knife and/or small hatchet
White sheets or similar as makeshift winter camouflage on both sled and self.
Hand radio because I assume I've established communications with my destination via radio to be trekking 3 miles in snow to them during SHTF.
Walking sticks, also useful to test snow depth of drifts
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:32 am

Possibilities of something like that are EXACTLY why I moved OUT of "snow country." While I was there, though, I had snowshoes, and a "sled dog" (Siberian Husky.) So, if I were in that situation, my choices for transportation would be dog sled, skis, or snowshoes.

As for what would I take with me, I'd have a backpack, some goods to trade, emergency cooking/heat source, food (fuel for generating body heat), topo map and compass, extra rope/550 cord, climb-rated carabiners, emergency shelter and bivy, small entrenching tool (can be used to build a snow cave, if necessary), knife, folding saw or hatchet, matches/lighter/ferro rod, first aid kit, and most important, WATER (A lot of people don't realize, but water is just as or MORE important in extreme cold as it is when it's hot!)

For clothing I would have layers...wool or silk/wool "long johns" as a base layer, wool socks, wool shirt and pants, Waterproof top layer...jacket and snow pants, waterproof insulated boots, wool cap, and insulated gloves/mittens. I'd also have a dry change of clothes, extra pairs of dry socks, gloves, and hat in a waterproof bag in my pack.

For that situation in MY current area (where we DON'T get snow like that) but needing the transportation; that's why I have horses!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Matte » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:01 am

You just laid out what I consider the best-case scenario for us if a prolonged SHTF event occurred. One that started in December would be much worse for the unprepared around here, but really might be the best for us. We have what we need to live semi-comfortably til spring and then some, and remoteness and unplowed roads blocking most vehicle travel will help isolate us from anyone looking to cause trouble. We'd be happy to be snowed in and just wait it out.

How do you get there? Snowmobile.
How do you get back? Same
What do you take with you? See below
What clothing/equipment do you have for the journey? We're prepared clothing wise, suits, boots, helmets, gloves, facemasks, etc. Slung rifle. HT radio. Have a 3' X 8' sled we could tow for larger items if needed, ratchet straps and cordage. Each snowmobile has a small emergency kit, heavy on fire-making and first aid, but some food (candy/power/clif bars), spare AA batts, knife (small folder), and a tow rope. The snowmobiles each have factory toolkits already (and I added a few extra items), plus a spare drive belt and spare spark plugs. In suit pockets I have an area map, compass, flashlight, knife (4" semi-serrated folder), spare batteries, and more fire-making equipment (this gear stays in my suit year round).

This scenario is an easy one for us, been doing this for decades for fun and have experience rescuing stranded people and recovering stuck/dead snowmobiles. Our safety/trip rules have changed over the years with new technology and much more reliable snowmobiles now than in decades past. Currently, if traveling with just one snowmobile we stay within VHF radio range of home (about 16 miles with our 50' base antenna, cell service is spotty at best), if going further we take two snowmobiles in case one breaks down. Even for short rides we communicate our trip plan to those staying behind, if nobody is home to file the plan with we leave it in the note. Have two sets of cross-county skis and a pair of snowshoes but breaking trail is slow, hard work. With a snowmobile (and a half gallon of gas) I'd be there and back in about 15 minutes.
Matte

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:11 am

I started the thread as I had just returned from walking the dogs out in the fields.

Normally I walk them once a day, or every other day. Makes a trail, with good packed snow, makes for easy going for me and the dogs.

Due to work, other commitments it has been over a week.
The trail was basically gone.

With the additional foot of snow, it made for slow going for both me and the dogs. Humping a hundred yards felt like a mile run.

The weather conditions as stated in the OP were pretty close to what we had.

I wore my Military Surplus N-3B Parka and was sweating. I have wore it before, making the mistake of having a polypro cold weather layer and I nearly overheated.

Snowshoes, winter boots, polypro cold weather long johns, cold weather gloves, Smartwool Balaclava, wool cap.

I need a pair of winter gaiters.

Making the trip per the OP, I would wear the above, my daily day pack with a extra set of clothing and additional cold weather layers in a drysack, snow glasses or goggles, first aid kit, something to snack on, and three liters of water.
As IceFire stated, water is just as important in cold weather as it is in hot weather.
Cast Iron

Return to General Preparedness Discussion