• Advertisement

So for investors who hold physical gold and silver, 2017 sho

Post ideas about how to prepare for economic disaster here

Moderator: medic94

So for investors who hold physical gold and silver, 2017 sho

Postby eochief66 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:00 am

The Silver Bear Café always has some very interesting articles. You have to sign up to see some of the better one's!

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/02.17/secret.html
eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Re: So for investors who hold physical gold and silver, 2017

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:26 pm

I understand the allure of PMs, but for those kind of monies, I can invest in a whole lot of other prepper items, e.g. rifles, ammunition, cold or wet weather gear, small livestock, solar panels, communications equipment, garden and seeds etc.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Gunns » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Its not about the allure. Its about those people that have a life times of savings to protect. You can only buy so much prepper stuff. Bullets fail, rifles rust, food goes bad, water gets old and medicines age. But PM's will always maintain there worth.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby anita » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:12 pm

PMs aren't the first thing you should get, or the second, or the third. They are insurance, and as Gunns said, you put money into PMs when you don't need more pails of rice or ammo or whatever.

Not that you can't always use more ammo...
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby daaswampman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Gunns wrote:Its not about the allure. Its about those people that have a life times of savings to protect. You can only buy so much prepper stuff. Bullets fail, rifles rust, food goes bad, water gets old and medicines age. But PM's will always maintain there worth.

+1

I will add than most Westerners have no experience with gold as money or think they can't afford it, but it is commonly traded in small and large transactions in many parts of the world! I would also add, that if you have ever panned or mined for gold - 1,200 is a bargain! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:52 am

Gunns wrote:Its not about the allure. Its about those people that have a life times of savings to protect. You can only buy so much prepper stuff. Bullets fail, rifles rust, food goes bad, water gets old and medicines age. But PM's will always maintain there worth.

I see your point.

However, until things normalize enough after SHTF, where the survivors do not have to worry about where their next meal is coming from, I am charging five one oz gold coins for a dozen eggs.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby theoutback » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:00 am

Cast Iron wrote:

I see your point.

However, until things normalize enough after SHTF, where the survivors do not have to worry about where their next meal is coming from, I am charging five one oz gold coins for a dozen eggs.

:rofl: :rofl: ..... oh wait, your serious. Good idea!

I guess it depends on your status. If your worth is great, I can see some PM's. Although, have you ever watched any of those home buying video's for preppers? You can sink a pretty good fortune into a prepper stronghold.
theoutback

Postby rickdun » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:10 am

Cast Iron wrote:

I see your point.

Cast Iron, that is definately price gouging, I'll only charge 1/10 oz of gold that comes to about 1.25/egg. With all seriousness, I never believed in PM's because I thought I could be self sufficient, but after many discussions with some here on the APN (GUNNS was one of them), I changed my mind and now I have 1000's of dollars in 1oz silver bars, rounds, etc., if anything my kids will end up with them and not have to pay the county, state, feds any inheritance taxes on it.

Thanks Gunns and the others that changed my mind, I really appreciate you guys.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 am

rickdun wrote:
Cast Iron wrote:

I see your point.

Cast Iron, that is definately price gouging, I'll only charge 1/10 oz of gold that comes to about 1.25/egg. With all seriousness, I never believed in PM's because I thought I could be self sufficient, but after many discussions with some here on the APN (GUNNS was one of them), I changed my mind and now I have 1000's of dollars in 1oz silver bars, rounds, etc., if anything my kids will end up with them and not have to pay the county, state, feds any inheritance taxes on it.

Thanks Gunns and the others that changed my mind, I really appreciate you guys.

Why?
Supply vs. demand right?
If Wall-Mart no longer exists, the JIT food system is gone, what you have is what you have.
Ask the average American where eggs, hamburger, bread comes from and they respond,
"The supermarket."
We have had college educated friends, two with advanced degrees, did not know a cow had to be lactating to produce milk.

In taking PM in trade I am assuming more of the risk. Will I be able to find someone in the future to trade for it, and at a equal value for what I traded it for in the first place?
How do I make change?
Is it counterfeit?
If one guy in the who community has five PMs, is that enough to generate an economy? Or are we just passing around the same five coins?

If what some have posted here, 90% of the US population is going to die off in the first year, why bother with PMs?
Just go into an abandoned house and look for gold and silver jewelery, diamonds, watches, etc.

I would be more inclined to trade for things like ammunition, medical supplies, honey, candles, those kind of things.
Cast Iron

Postby rickdun » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:21 am

I'm not disagreeing with you CI, but what if you happen to get shot going into those abandon homes, stores. What if all your supplies are diminshed or die off or stolen and you have nothing for trade but PM's. As far as change, to get a meal for me and family or get medical attention, etc., when I have nothing else to trade but PM's, I'm not going to ask for change, I'm going to eat, get some medical supplies, ammo, etc., I'm not going to worry about change, it's a tip for the ones that I get it from.

We have enough food, supplies, medical supplies, anti-biotics, clothing, coal, firewood, ammo, guns, seeds, chickens, cattle, etc. to last years, but I also have PM's when it's all gone or stolen. I may be wrong, but I'm trying to cover all bases.

If after a year and 90% of the population is dead (I've heard as high as 99%), then I'll be one lonely rich guy, if I survive.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby handyman777 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:22 am

PM's are a good thing to own; But I agree with Cast Iron
You can't eat gold or silver or etc., unless someone has a good recipe for it, that I don't know of.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby anita » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:53 am

Cast Iron wrote:
Why?
Supply vs. demand right?
If Wall-Mart no longer exists, the JIT food system is gone, what you have is what you have.
Ask the average American where eggs, hamburger, bread comes from and they respond,
"The supermarket."
We have had college educated friends, two with advanced degrees, did not know a cow had to be lactating to produce milk.

In taking PM in trade I am assuming more of the risk. Will I be able to find someone in the future to trade for it, and at a equal value for what I traded it for in the first place?
How do I make change?
Is it counterfeit?
If one guy in the who community has five PMs, is that enough to generate an economy? Or are we just passing around the same five coins?

If what some have posted here, 90% of the US population is going to die off in the first year, why bother with PMs?
Just go into an abandoned house and look for gold and silver jewelery, diamonds, watches, etc.

I would be more inclined to trade for things like ammunition, medical supplies, honey, candles, those kind of things.

You're assuming that the sheep will have gold to trade.
PMs have always had value throughout time. Does that mean they will in the future? No one knows, but contrary to fiat money, it has in the past.

I'm like Rickdun, assuming that the PMs I have will go to my kids. It is insurance. I wouldn't own them until I had a goodly amount of other things.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Gunns » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:48 am

Cast Iron wrote:

I see your point.

That is kind of funny. But in reality if you did that you wouldn't last long. In SHTF you still need to watch your back and by screwing people over you would most likely be all finished after SHTF. They will remember.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:27 pm

rickdun wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you CI, but what if you happen to get shot going into those abandon homes, stores. What if all your supplies are diminshed or die off or stolen and you have nothing for trade but PM's. As far as change, to get a meal for me and family or get medical attention, etc., when I have nothing else to trade but PM's, I'm not going to ask for change, I'm going to eat, get some medical supplies, ammo, etc., I'm not going to worry about change, it's a tip for the ones that I get it from.

What if gold, silver and diamond rings and other jewelery left among the survivors is so prolific, it actually drives the worth of PMs into pennies on the oz?

What if you are being chased by a mob of mall ninja Spider People, your PMs are weighting you down, and your choice is to dump them and live, or hold them and die?

Point is, we can what if all day long and really it does not matter. That is the beauty of this conversation: In the end the worth of PMs lies in the belief of the individual.

If after a year and 90% of the population is dead (I've heard as high as 99%), then I'll be one lonely rich guy, if I survive.

If there is no one to trade with, than does a PM even have worth?
Cast Iron

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Gunns wrote:
Cast Iron wrote:

I see your point.

That is kind of funny. But in reality if you did that you wouldn't last long. In SHTF you still need to watch your back and by screwing people over you would most likely be all finished after SHTF. They will remember.

How so?

I will gladly trade for ammunition.
50 rounds of .22LR? Deal.
Why? .22LR has immediate worth to me. I own a .22LR. So does nearly everyone of my neighbors. If I do not use it myself, I can easily trade it with others who may need it.

5 rounds of .308WIN? Deal.
Why? .308WIN has immediate worth to me. I own a bolt rifle in .308WIN and I know a number of my neighbors do as well.

5 rounds of .223REM? 10 rounds and we will have a deal.
Why? I do not own anything in .223REM. I know of one neighbor who has a rifle in .223REM. While it is a common round, if I do not have an immediate market, I am assuming more risk. In order to make it worth taking on that risk, I will require more rounds.

10 rounds of 6.8SPC? No deal.
Why? I do not own one. No one I know owns one. I do not think I have ever met anyone who does.
If, big IF, I were to take the trade, I would require 50 rounds of 6.8SPC as I am taking on a much greater risk of finding someone to trade for it in the future.

PMs you have is all you have on hand?
I got a drainage ditch that needs cleared out. You clear it, I will feed you hot dinner, and give you something to take with you when you go.

As for watching my back, my neighbors garage door broke the other day. Out in twenty degree temps for over an hour, I fixed it for them.
I gave them a dozen eggs as we had four dozen in the fridge.
He used his front loader to push back the five foot tall snow drift at the end of my drive.
I have their back. They have mine.
Cast Iron

Next

Return to Economic Disasters