• Advertisement

EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #1

Post about tips and ideas on preparing for terrorism and other man-made disasters here.

Moderator: medic94

EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #1

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:17 am

Starting a thread for discussions/news involving Korea & EMP threat concerns.

The following article is written by Dr. Pry, who is VERY knowledgeable about EMPS & the Korean threat. As mentioned before, I had the privileged to have him as a guest speaker at one of my Pennsylvania Prep Events. He lives, sleeps & breaths EMPs & their threat to America. The man is like a "mad" scientist who frantically wants people to be aware, understand the threat and be prepared. A true American Patriot. He's been warning that Korea is a significant threat, for some time now. . -k

North Korea, the real threat
The regime’s irrationality makes a catastrophic missile strike plausible

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... al-threat/
By Peter Vincent Pry - - Tuesday, February 14, 2017

ANALYSIS/OPINION:

When might North Korean develop missiles capable of striking the United States? Today.

Four years ago in December 2012, when North Korea orbited its KMS-3 satellite over the U.S., I warned they could conduct an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack by satellite.

An EMP that blacks out the national electric grid would be a far greater catastrophe than blasting a city. A North Korean 10-kiloton warhead blasting a city might cause about 200,000 casualties.

However, the same warhead making a high-altitude EMP attack — though there would be no blast, thermal or fallout effects on the ground — could knock out the electric grid and other life-sustaining critical infrastructures for more than a year, killing 90 percent of the population through starvation.

Why blast a city when EMP attack can destroy the whole nation? North Korea wants to be able to do both. They can launch an EMP attack already.

Another advantage of EMP attack by satellite is anonymity, to escape retaliation, whereas an intercontinental ballistic missile destroying a city would have North Korea’s fingerprints all over it.

North Korea’s KMS-3 satellite is in low-Earth orbit, along with hundreds of other satellites. KMS-3’s south polar trajectory approaches the United States from the south, where there are no ballistic missile early warning radars or national missile defenses. The U.S. is blind and defenseless from that direction.

An EMP attack would damage radars, satellites, ground stations and other national technical means necessary to ascertain who attacked. A super-EMP weapon could paralyze even hardened command, control, communications and intelligence assets and strategic forces, rendering them unable to retaliate, even if the aggressor could be identified.

In 2004, Moscow’s top EMP experts warned the Congressional EMP Commission that the design for their super-EMP warhead “accidentally” leaked to North Korea; that Russian, Chinese and Pakistani scientists had been recruited by Pyongyang and were helping its nuclear and missile programs; and that North Korea could develop a super-EMP warhead “in a few years.”

In 2006, North Korea conducted its first nuclear test. It was dismissed by the press as failed because of the very low-yield — only one to three kilotons. But it looked to the EMP Commission like a super-EMP weapon because such a weapon would have very low yield, being designed to produce gamma rays (which create the EMP shock wave), not a big explosion. Most of North Korea’s nuclear tests have been low-yield devices.

One simple design for a super-EMP warhead would resemble an Enhanced Radiation Weapon (ERW), or neutron weapon, which produces a lot of gamma rays in addition to neutrons, like the ERW artillery shell for the 155 mm howitzer, designed during the 1950s and deployed by the U.S. during the 1980s. Such a weapon would have very low-yield, one to five kilotons, and weigh less than 100 pounds — small enough to fit on North Korea’s KMS-3 satellite.

North Korea launched another suspicious satellite, the KMS-4, on the same south polar trajectory as the KMS-3, on Feb. 7, 2016. So now there are two North Korean satellites orbiting over the United States on trajectories consistent with a surprise EMP attack — perhaps another idea borrowed from the Russians. Moscow during the Cold War had a secret weapon, the Fractional Orbital Bombardment System, to deliver a surprise EMP attack by satellite.

Senior national security experts from the Reagan and Clinton administrations have warned about the potential EMP threat from North Korea’s satellites — including a former director of central intelligence, chairman of the National Intelligence Council, White House science adviser and director of the Strategic Defense Initiative. South Korean military intelligence reportedly warned that Russians are in North Korea helping develop super-EMP weapons. In 2013 a military commentator for the People’s Republic of China stated North Korea has super-EMP warheads.

EMP threats from satellites are ignored by the liberal media, which prefer to insist North Korea cannot yet blast a U.S. city with an ICBM.

James Oberg, a distinguished rocket scientist who visited North Korea’s satellite launch facility, warns in a recent Space Review article:

“There have been fears expressed that North Korea might use a satellite to carry a small nuclear warhead into orbit and then detonate it over the United States for an EMP strike. These concerns seem extreme and require an astronomical scale of irrationality on the part of the regime. The most frightening aspect, I’ve come to realize, is that exactly such a scale of insanity is now evident in the rest of their ‘space program.’ That doomsday scenario, it now seems, has become plausible enough to compel the United States to take active measures to insure that no North Korean satellite, unless thoroughly inspected before launch, be allowed to reach orbit and ever overfly the United States.”

Is anyone listening?

• Peter Vincent Pry is chief of staff of the Congressional EMP Commission, served in the House Armed Services Committee, the CIA, and is author of “Blackout Wars” (CreateSpace Independent Publishing, 2015).
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:38 am

the reason why North Korea is more threat than they should be - totally insane dictator and military hierarchy - there won't be an Arab Spring or Commie Bloc Crumble ...

when they feel that they are losing control it'll be an entire regime suicide - full scale attack - invasion of South Korea and the massacre of the US troops stationed on the DMZ - some kind of attack on the US mainland - most likely Japan also .... N Korea is a master smuggler - worldwide system of spreading drugs, arms and counterfeit $$$$ - don't discount nukes being smuggled in and pre-positioned in major cities ....

a NK satellite launch of what looks innocent during a country crisis - something to watch & worry - a single EMP enhanced nuke over the US will create havoc ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby rickdun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:38 am

Sounds very scary RM, might have to get me another faraday cage. I do have one question, who in North Korea is going to let anyone inspect their satellites before they blast off, my guess is nobody. All we peeons can do is prepare the best we can and hope the government does something about it and soon or it's going to be lights out.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:40 am

NK will Never attack. Even psychopaths know not to swat at the dragon.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Gunns wrote:NK will Never attack. Even psychopaths know not to swat at the dragon.

Some psychopaths will swat at the dragon, just like they did on 9/11.
Photon Guy

Postby 3ADScout » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Dr. Pry has written several articles for Family Security Matters-
http://www.familysecuritymatters.org
3ADScout

Postby BK in KC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:55 pm

No way China lets NK EMP the number one customer of their exports. It would be financial suicide for them.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions." --James Lileks

Drink the Kool-Aid: it’ll taste sweet. That burning sensation in your throat is just that feeling of liberation, as your soul separates from your flesh.
BK in KC
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:18 pm

BK in KC wrote:No way China lets NK EMP the number one customer of their exports. It would be financial suicide for them.

With Trump in office that will probably soon change about us buying stuff made in China.
Photon Guy

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:43 pm

I figured out this out a long time ago. A "weather" satellite from NK just accidently falls from the sky over Kansas and denotes at 40,000 ft. I think the nutcase over there actually thinks he can wipe us out. Don't put him past trying.

That would ruin a lot of snowflakes day. Most of the rest of us would get by.
oldasrocks

Postby BK in KC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Photon Guy wrote:
BK in KC wrote:No way China lets NK EMP the number one customer of their exports. It would be financial suicide for them.

With Trump in office that will probably soon change about us buying stuff made in China.

I don't see the trade deficit with China changing much regardless of what Trump does. If anything, if the economy keeps improving demand for goods of all kinds will increase.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions." --James Lileks

Drink the Kool-Aid: it’ll taste sweet. That burning sensation in your throat is just that feeling of liberation, as your soul separates from your flesh.
BK in KC

Postby contrarian » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 pm

There are means to tracking satellites at launch. Once launched within hours they have been tracked enough that prediction of where they will be in 6 months to high accuracy is pretty easy. If anyone wanted to achieve a surprise, it would have to be during the first orbit after launch and even then I suspect we'd know it's orbit. NK isn't the group I'd worry about because we would return the favor. It's non-governments we would worry about ISIS or such is much more of a risk.
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby Mollypup » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:17 am

I think American's have a serious issue with underestimating their enemies & over estimating our response to those enemies, most especially given the current climate of the nation.

Who is going to prove NK did it? That is the benefit of an EMP. And in truth, who is going to believe NK has the tech to pull it off?? Likely no one, truly. (because the thought is a wee bit terrifying)

Their leader is completely insane. If his cheese continues to slide off the cracker........and he reaches the point where he's insistent upon carrying out a plan to hit us, he's going to hit us, regardless of what China may or may not want. When was the last time any of you tried to reason with an insane person? (hint: you can't)

Taking us out likely would not cause financial suicide for China anyway. Think of it this way, we're down & out for the count from an EMP. No one is going to be purchasing OUR goods. Who is going to jump in and fill that gap in the global economy? Most likely China. So while our being out of the purchasing picture may hurt them initially, it isn't going to after that.

Not that it really matters if it's NK, China, Russia, or some random terrorist group. The end result would be the same. We're down & out. A year is being super optimistic. It could take decades to get the country up & running again. For starters, who's going to foot the bill? How are you going to organize workers on a national scale with no communications?
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby BK in KC » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:35 am

Mollypup wrote:Who is going to prove NK did it? That is the benefit of an EMP. And in truth, who is going to believe NK has the tech to pull it off?? Likely no one, truly. (because the thought is a wee bit terrifying)

The military wouldn't require "proof", Pyonyang and probably Tehran and other "usual suspects" would be engulfed in mushroom clouds once an EMP was detected. There wouldn't be a trial, just a quick consensus among military leaders and the POTUS of who probably did it and then a launch before the military becomes too degraded.

BK in KC

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:46 am

BK in KC wrote:
Mollypup wrote:Who is going to prove NK did it? That is the benefit of an EMP. And in truth, who is going to believe NK has the tech to pull it off?? Likely no one, truly. (because the thought is a wee bit terrifying)

The military wouldn't require "proof", Pyonyang and probably Tehran and other "usual suspects" would be engulfed in mushroom clouds once an EMP was detected. There wouldn't be a trial, just a quick consensus among military leaders and the POTUS of who probably did it and then a launch before the military becomes too degraded.

the US wouldn't be the only country contributing to the nuke strikes - if the US goes down it opens the box for a whole lot of exploitation by the bad guys - very good chance of full nuke strikes around the world before the dust settles ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby NJMike » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:03 am

I'm no more concerned currently than I was previously. I can't trust what's communicated to the populace vs. reality. It's still likely in my mind that Russia, China, or someone else could EMP the U.S. just as much as N. Korea could or would. I also doubt the WH, our military, or intelligence agencies would even know of an impending attack. We won't have warnings.

That said, the Grim Reaper is waiting in the shadows every day. Think I'm more likely to die in my commute to work and home than some of the things we discuss here. Of course that doesn't stop me from preparing to deal with any type of plausibly survivable scenario. When something happens, and if I'm left standing in the opening minutes, I'll definitely take a quick mental calculus of how optimistic or dead I'll be. Happy Friday :)
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Next

Return to Terrorism & other Man made disasters