• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

WHEAT - Price per pound?

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

WHEAT - Price per pound?

Postby Murby » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:17 pm

I need to stock up on some hard white wheat and was wondering what everyone is paying for it? By the time it ships to your home, what is your price per pound work out to?
Murby

Re: WHEAT - Price per pound?

Postby rickdun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Honneyville has it for 58.99 + 4.99 shipping for a 40lb pail. I've been getting mine there for about 3 years now, have had no problems with Honneyville. Had problems with beprepared.com, won't deal with them anymore. Good luck.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Murby » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 pm

What kind of problems did you have?

You're paying well over $1/lb.. that seems like a lot.
Murby

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Murby wrote:What kind of problems did you have?

You're paying well over $1/lb.. that seems like a lot.

I've also gotten mine from Honeyville. And the shipping price is the reason why. When you price-compare at other places, you'll find that the shipping will kill you, because of the weight. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rickdun » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:41 pm

beprepared.com on 1 occasion refused to replace damaged goods they sent me. Well, I ordered once more, damaged again, they wouldn't even return my calls or e-mails, so they're done with me and about 10 other customers that I know. Their loss.

Honeyville, for me has a good product and I have never had a problem with them on anything that was damaged in shipment. I have ordered from other companies and never had a problem with them, only this one. The shipping is only 4.99 on anything you buy, whether it's 1.00 or 1000.00, makes a big difference.

There are other good companies out there, you just have to check them out. But remember, you only get what you pay for.

It's only pricey if you can't afford it, like I said you get what you pay for.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby Blondie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Murby wrote:I need to stock up on some hard white wheat and was wondering what everyone is paying for it? By the time it ships to your home, what is your price per pound work out to?

I came across smaller quantities at a Mennonite bulk store. Couldn't quote a price per lb but it may be an option if you live near an Amish or Mennonite community.

If you stop in, ask about ordering larger quantities and pick it up at their store to save on shipping.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:27 pm

check for shipping with the LDS Church people ... https://providentliving.lds.org/bc/prov ... f?lang=eng

depending on your location you might be able to do a warehouse pickup .... https://providentliving.lds.org/self-re ... s?lang=eng
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby donba » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:20 pm

My local LDS site is selling Hard White at $11.75 for 25 # bulk. #10 can 5.5 ponds for $ 3.00 = 22pounds for $12.00 . Of corse this is you pick up. This is in southern Ca.......
donba

Postby IceFire » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:23 pm

I buy 50 lb bags of re-cleaned wheat for under $15. Same with oats and barley. Of course, that IS at the local feed store.....
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rebnavy1862 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:08 pm

The amish store outside of Charlottesville, Virginia sells beautifull wheat at 50 lbs in the low 20s. They have about 5 kinds including Bronze Chief. It is about a 2 hour drive for me, but I pick up lots of other bulk stuff from them. And,,,,,,,,, we hit the winerys and cideries. :D
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 pm

IceFire wrote:I buy 50 lb bags of re-cleaned wheat for under $15. Same with oats and barley. Of course, that IS at the local feed store.....

I've done that too. But, it wasn't very clean. I had a lot of sifting to do to remove a lot of bits & pieces, before freezing & storing. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RockinB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:35 am

We buy the Augason farms 26lb square buckets from Walmart at $18 a bucket. Free shipping and we pick it up at the store. All of our wheat and oats are in square buckets from Augason farms ordered online through Walmart. Buy the bucket wrench if you go this route. Much easier to open but you can use a screw driver if you want the exercise and ability to check out your first aide preps.
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby Murby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:48 am

RockinB wrote:We buy the Augason farms 26lb square buckets from Walmart at $18 a bucket. Free shipping and we pick it up at the store. All of our wheat and oats are in square buckets from Augason farms ordered online through Walmart. Buy the bucket wrench if you go this route. Much easier to open but you can use a screw driver if you want the exercise and ability to check out your first aide preps.

Are you saying their buckets are somehow different than a normal 5 gallon or pickle bucket lid?
Murby

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:06 am

Illini Warrior wrote:check for shipping with the LDS Church people ... https://providentliving.lds.org/bc/prov ... f?lang=eng

depending on your location you might be able to do a warehouse pickup .... https://providentliving.lds.org/self-re ... s?lang=eng

Well would you look at that! LDS...I had no idea. 1 block from my house too and I've lived here all my life.....APN strikes again!!!! Thanks for queuing me into this resource....."And the blind shall see"...lol
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Murby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:36 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:check for shipping with the LDS Church people ... https://providentliving.lds.org/bc/prov ... f?lang=eng

Well would you look at that! LDS...I had no idea. 1 block from my house too and I've lived here all my life.....APN strikes again!!!! Thanks for queuing me into this resource....."And the blind shall see"...lol

As much as I loath having any kind of association with any church, I did decide to find out what they charge for the wheat.

The 26lb buckets from Walmart w/free shipping still won.. But I'll admit it was a close call and if the LDS was just a mile down the street, I might have reluctantly went for it.
Murby

Next

Return to Food & Water