• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

WHEAT - Price per pound?

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Re: WHEAT - Price per pound?

Postby terrapin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Do you have a garden?
Till up a corner and plant 1 pound of wheat seed.
On a decent year, you will be able to harvest 100 lbs.
On a "good" year, double that.
On a "really good" year, triple.
Try it.
terp
terrapin

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:15 am

Murby wrote:
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:check for shipping with the LDS Church people ... https://providentliving.lds.org/bc/prov ... f?lang=eng

depending on your location you might be able to do a warehouse pickup .... https://providentliving.lds.org/self-re ... s?lang=eng

Well would you look at that! LDS...I had no idea. 1 block from my house too and I've lived here all my life.....APN strikes again!!!! Thanks for queuing me into this resource....."And the blind shall see"...lol

As much as I loath having any kind of association with any church, I did decide to find out what they charge for the wheat.

The 26lb buckets from Walmart w/free shipping still won.. But I'll admit it was a close call and if the LDS was just a mile down the street, I might have reluctantly went for it.

lol...religion preferences aside, I think its a pretty cool resource. If its good stuff, helps me prep, doesn't hurt anyone, I see no issues...Going to check them out.

Those LDS's though....I cant tell you the amount of times I've found myself in a dark alley face to face with one reaching for my Glock out of sheer terror!!!....lol(totally kidding of course)....I don't think they're a bad group even as little I know of the specific religion.(There is a VERY funny SouthPark episode).

If they're helping prep, there's good tendencies there me thinks....I cant recall any terror alerts issued about them anyways.... ;)
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Murby wrote:
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:check for shipping with the LDS Church people ... https://providentliving.lds.org/bc/prov ... f?lang=eng

depending on your location you might be able to do a warehouse pickup .... https://providentliving.lds.org/self-re ... s?lang=eng

Well would you look at that! LDS...I had no idea. 1 block from my house too and I've lived here all my life.....APN strikes again!!!! Thanks for queuing me into this resource....."And the blind shall see"...lol

As much as I loath having any kind of association with any church, I did decide to find out what they charge for the wheat.

The 26lb buckets from Walmart w/free shipping still won.. But I'll admit it was a close call and if the LDS was just a mile down the street, I might have reluctantly went for it.

you do know what OPSEC means? - you're exposing yourself to the delivery of obvious prepper oriented goods when a covert and almost totally private transaction is available ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 pm

RockinB wrote:We buy the Augason farms 26lb square buckets from Walmart at $18 a bucket. Free shipping and we pick it up at the store. All of our wheat and oats are in square buckets from Augason farms ordered online through Walmart. Buy the bucket wrench if you go this route. Much easier to open but you can use a screw driver if you want the exercise and ability to check out your first aide preps.

you must already know that Augason Farms refuses to use mylar bagging - and both their nitrogen purge or when they toss in 02 absorbers has a very limited practical life - it's storage longevity is totally negated when you open a bucket ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby sageprice » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:52 pm

IceFire wrote:I buy 50 lb bags of re-cleaned wheat for under $15. Same with oats and barley. Of course, that IS at the local feed store.....

Sheesh! feed wheat is perfectly edible. Learn how to clean and dry it. It makes a hearty loaf of bread and it is what you will be dealing with if we have a TEOTWAWKI event. There will be no special wheats, only what you can get. Learn how to deal with basic grains. Feed wheat can be had for around 10 to 15 dollars at most feed stores. It can be planted/ sprouted/or fed straight to chickens. Rotate it out and you won't need to store it with special means.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby RockinB » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:40 am

Illini Warrior wrote:
RockinB wrote:We buy the Augason farms 26lb square buckets from Walmart at $18 a bucket. Free shipping and we pick it up at the store. All of our wheat and oats are in square buckets from Augason farms ordered online through Walmart. Buy the bucket wrench if you go this route. Much easier to open but you can use a screw driver if you want the exercise and ability to check out your first aide preps.

you must already know that Augason Farms refuses to use mylar bagging - and both their nitrogen purge or when they toss in 02 absorbers has a very limited practical life - it's storage longevity is totally negated when you open a bucket ....

Yep. We opened a wheat bucket and an oats bucket for a dry run. We baked lots of bread, oatmeal cookies and ate a lot of cream of wheat and oatmeal over a year with those 2 buckets. We went through a few pounds of honey too. Still have some wheat left in a half gallon mason jar but we might use it eventually. Flat pan bread cooked in a skillet on a fire is a good wrap for eggs, rice and beans. Good for homemade jelly wraps too.

We wont starve and hopefully we will never have to open another bucket for the rest of our lives.
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby RockinB » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:05 am

Murby wrote:

Are you saying their buckets are somehow different than a normal 5 gallon or pickle bucket lid?

Yes. It's designed to keep you out without a $7 bucket wrench! We used a very large screw driver and a pry bar for about a month getting into buckets of wheat and oats. We added a wrench with another bucket order and it was worth it to avoid possibly damaging the lids or gasket seals. We could have transferred it into 1/2 gallon mason jars but didn't have any empty at the time. We use a lot of mason jars...
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:35 am

We bought ours from a local farm $6.00 for 50 lbs we also get fresh butter $2.50 a pound :thumbsup:
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Stopped at the Mennonite bulk store today, bulk was 50 to 60 cents per/lb. This was bag your own out of say a 25gal bulk container.

Organic soft spring wheat was 90 cents/lb.

This store has a hand grinder available if you want to process your own small quantities.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby kappydell » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:43 am

My Wal-mart has 20 lb sacks of white whole wheat so I pick it up a bag at a time and ship via "personal van". I understand not all Wal-Marts carry it though...
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:40 am

Something I use to remember which wheat for which baked good:

HarD Wheat = Bread goods

Soft Wheat = DeSSerts
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kappydell » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 am

sageprice wrote:
IceFire wrote:I buy 50 lb bags of re-cleaned wheat for under $15. Same with oats and barley. Of course, that IS at the local feed store.....

Sheesh! feed wheat is perfectly edible. Learn how to clean and dry it. It makes a hearty loaf of bread and it is what you will be dealing with if we have a TEOTWAWKI event. There will be no special wheats, only what you can get. Learn how to deal with basic grains. Feed wheat can be had for around 10 to 15 dollars at most feed stores. It can be planted/ sprouted/or fed straight to chickens. Rotate it out and you won't need to store it with special means.

YES! I have red wheat & whole dent corn from feed stores...I think what decided me is when one of the feed store employees 'confessed' he (as well as other employees) were feeding their own families from the feed store grain. (We swapped recipes...)
Of course not all feed stores carry the same things so you might have to ask around....I had to go to a more rural area to get wheat. It was as good as the health food store stuff, just smaller kernels.
kappydell

Postby Gordon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:36 pm

Murby, if you live in or near a wheat-growing region, do what I do: buy it right out of the combine. I'm in north-central Kansas, and the field across from my house is planted in wheat every year, so at harvest time, I roll up with a stout laundry basket that's approximately a bushel and collect a tub as my neighbor unloads into the grain truck. I give him $20. He smiles. I smile. I go home and winnow out the sticks and other debris, bag it up and freeze it. I grind it by hand as needed. That bushel lasts more than a year for a three-person household.
Gordon

Postby kappydell » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:06 am

I've done that with soy beans. folding money is a popular commodity anywhere....
kappydell

Postby IceFire » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:27 pm

kappydell wrote:[
YES! I have red wheat & whole dent corn from feed stores...I think what decided me is when one of the feed store employees 'confessed' he (as well as other employees) were feeding their own families from the feed store grain. (We swapped recipes...)
Of course not all feed stores carry the same things so you might have to ask around....I had to go to a more rural area to get wheat. It was as good as the health food store stuff, just smaller kernels.

I go to 2 different feed stores (haven't checked what the other feed stores carry--we have a LOT of feed stores in my area) one carries wheat, barley, corn, and milo; the other carries the oats. Most of it is pretty clean...just the occasional piece of chaff, and I've sometimes found a bit of corn in the oats, since the mills process/store multiple types of grain. It's easy enough to pull out the "UFOs" ("unauthorized" foreign objects.) Paying in the neighborhood of $12-$15 for 50 pounds and picking out an occasional UFO and putting it in buckets myself definitely beats paying well over $1 per pound for the pre-packaged grains any day, in my book.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Water