• Advertisement

Tattler Lids Question

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Tattler Lids Question

Postby Cin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:31 pm

A couple years ago, I canned some stuff with the BRAND NEW Tattler lids and rings - the plastic lids with the rubber ring. At the time, the jars sealed, a definite indentation was seen. They don't pop like a traditional lid, but the indentation from a sealed and an unsealed lid is pretty prominent.

Husband is decluttering the LTS, and he noticed some of the lids looked "funny." The food inside looked normal. He brought all the stuff I canned with the Tattler lids into the kitchen, and it was a disaster. Only half of the lids of 24 jars were sealed. The rest were just "sitting" on top of the jars, with a smidge of mold on the rims of some of the jars under the lid.

FYI: The contents were applesauce and jelly. The lids were put in boiling water for a few secondss, as were the rings. The rims were wiped with a cloth with plain water first, and then with a different cloth with vinegar. The cloths were kept clean, if they got a little grungy, I got a new cloth. The filled jars were water bathed for whatever length of time the Ball Blue Book said. We had an empty jar nearby with a lid on it, so we could tell if the indentation happened. Each canned jar had a deeper indentation. We let them sit on the counter for 24 hours before moving them to the LTS.

I have bought Tattler lids every time there was a sale and I think I have enough to can 8 cases of 24...I haven't even used them all yet!

Do Tattler lids and rings have a shelf life? What went wrong?
Cin

Re: Tattler Lids Question

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:53 pm

I don't know what went wrong, but I had a similar incident with some canned pears. New lids, new seals, I left the jars on the counter actually for a couple days before I got to them to put them away. All jars sealed fine. About 6mo later I was doing a rotation and noticed the same thing, some of the jars broke seal. It wasn't just one batch, it was a few jars from each batch. I do the vinegar clean last too. Have no idea what happened, but I sure would like to know so I don't repeat it! I think we lost 8 or 9 jars of pears :(
Stahlrosen

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:42 pm

you guys getting the ring tightness correct? .... the rings need to be less than finger tite - you tighten down after the processing ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby rebnavy1862 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:you guys getting the ring tightness correct? .... the rings need to be less than finger tite - you tighten down after the processing ....

Ditto
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby donba » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Sometimes staying old school is a good idea. We looked at changing over to tattler lids but didn't. I say I am frugal the Boss Lady calls it cheep. We don't can as much as those of you in the country, and would probably not be using them yet. Good luck with this problem....
donba

Postby NJMike » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:54 pm

I've got one box of tattler lids. Haven't used them yet. Sorry to hear about the spoilage.

I do as the others with regard to ring tightness (or lack of...). I also inspect the rings well for distortions as I've had a few leave indents in the lids during processing.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 pm

I'm pretty sure I did finger-tight - I do it with regular canning.

But maybe I got enthusiastic about what that means, since the little rubber rings were tricksy. :D (Obscure Lord Of The Rings reference)

Hmmm...
Cin

Postby daaswampman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Google Tattler Lid problems! I think most of it is just experience with using them, but there is plenty of complaints about them. May not be the best choice for someone without a good deal of experience or someone not impressed with the technology of 1900. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby donba » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:26 am

Sometimes new is harder to unlearn old habits, as well as more money. As the old man use to say "If it aint broke don't fix it ". Think ill just keep the old metal Ball lids, I know they work well.....
donba

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:06 am

I've had many turn out fine, so don't know that it has much to do with finger tight as I try to get them all the same, but maybe they are more sensitive. I DO like the tattler lids for all my dry / dehydrated stuff. They work great with the jar sealer.
Stahlrosen

Return to General Family Preparedness