• Advertisement

Practicing Your Defensive Pistol Skills at Home

Topics about guns

Practicing Your Defensive Pistol Skills at Home

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:24 pm

Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Re: Practicing Your Defensive Pistol Skills at Home

Postby RockinB » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:56 am

Good article. People should be using all of their firearms to train with and not just the side arms.
Those rifles and shotguns are important too...
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby theoutback » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks for posting CI.
theoutback

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:29 am

I like this post! Thank you!

I just finished my 4-part course in firearms training. Part 3 of it was simulation training on when to draw & not draw (kind of like what they do in military & police simulation training). It was an eye opener on how easy it is to make the wrong decision and also on how accurate/inaccurate you were when you DID shoot. It was a laser gun and the shot registered on the screen and into a computer set up. Pretty neat.

I can not always get to a range (which was part 4 of the training) for the reasons mentioned in your article posted: finances for all the ammo shot (mine takes 380 and it's $15-$17/box :| ) and I wasn't comfortable going to a range until I just got this training finished. I'd love to find a training/practice program that can be used with a laser vs the dummy bullets they were talking about. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:32 am

Excellent points....If you're not already doing this you need to start.

Muscle memory is a HUGE skill that needs development if you want to retain your skills. Just like eating while you read a paper...The fork finds it way to your mouth without you even thinking about it.

Dry firing practice puts you on target from holster without you even thinking about it. Enough practice and you'll find yourself putting a round on target even before fully extending.

IDPA is a great, fun, competition to see these skills developed. I use SnapCaps at home in all platforms to give me an edge.

Clearing my house for the first time with a bump-in-the-night taught me how unprepared I was for how hard this specific layout left me exposed. I have a 3 way hallway with 4 doors at the intersection.
Really bad house with lots of angles for one person to clear effectively.

About 10 or so dry runs after that taught me the best way to clear this particular house with the least amount of exposure......Much better than finding this out at 2AM in the dark. ;)

Great points CI.....

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:04 am

I shoot highly accurate pellet pistol during the off months to maintain proficiency.

And I dry fire with the rife using Snapcaps as Driven mentions above.
I also try to assume different field positions.

The clearing of ones own house as mentioned in the article and Driven mentions I thought was a very good idea.
Of course look at it not only from a offensive but defensive point of view.

This summer I am going to try some of COL Jeff Coopers rifle drills as depicted at the end of his book Art of the Rifle.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Question:? I was told (remember who, but not my instructor) that dry shooting is not good for a gun. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rickdun » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:58 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Question:? I was told (remember who, but not my instructor) that dry shooting is not good for a gun. -k

when dry firing a weapon, you use a snapcap, it's a dummy round, in the caliber of the weapon you're using, so you don't hurt the inners of the weapon (firing pin, etc.). Most gun shops have them or can get them.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:38 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Question:? I was told (remember who, but not my instructor) that dry shooting is not good for a gun. -k

It also depends on the gun, some guns can be dry fired just fine, other not and you do need the snapcap type things.

Really the best way to clear your house is with a well trained dog :)
Stahlrosen

Postby danthman114 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:55 pm

22s you shouldn't dry fire. Because it's a rim fire, the firing pin hits the portion of the chamber that the rim gos into.
danthman114

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:01 pm

rickdun wrote:

when dry firing a weapon, you use a snapcap, it's a dummy round, in the caliber of the weapon you're using, so you don't hurt the inners of the weapon (firing pin, etc.). Most gun shops have them or can get them.

Almost any gun can handle dry firing now(of course read your manual for the exceptions).... .22 caliber(Rim fire) are the ones you do not want to fire pretty much ever without a snapcap. It damages the firing pin.
but this is changing....Even my Ruger SR22 now though allows dryfiring....This is straight from the Ruger website....
Q: Can I dry fire my Ruger P-Series and .22 pistols?

A: Yes. All Ruger pistols can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!

At least 3 of my Glocks have about 3000-4000 dry fires without the use of snapcaps and there's no issues as an example.

The snapcaps I use to get the full motion and range from draw, presentation/sight alignment, to trigger press, trigger reset, and re-holster..(Then rack and reload)...EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Even when clearing your weapon at the range should be used as an opportunity with all steps above practiced every time.(Every opportunity adds up to mussel memory perfection)

***CI...HUGE point I forgot to mention that you addressed....Retreat drills in the home.

Especially here in Comiefornia(Non-Castle state)....I have the distinct pleasure to have to retreat thru the entire house shouting "STOP OR I'LL SHOOT!!!" ...thru the whole house, during a home invasion scenario and only being able to pull the trigger when I reach the last room with no other place to go and being in imminent fear of death.....lol..Even doing everything perfect which of course I pray I'd never have to, I'd still end up in jail here for a few days at the least most likely and sued by the perps family even with the perps lifetime documented history of being a thug.......SMH. :blink:
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Tyreguy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:30 pm

One thing they didn't mention that also needs continual practice as part of your home pistol defense is malfunction drills. When I do my dry firing practice at home, I always incorporate class 1 and 3 malfunction drills into it. When I'm in the man-cave doing my practice, its a sure bet there's a mess of magazines and snap caps all over the place.
Lest we not forget the occasional "What the hell is going on down there??" from the wife reacting to the noise of the slide snapping, mags hitting the ground, and snap caps bouncing off of everything...and disappearing into the abyss of the basement floor.
Tyreguy

Postby IceFire » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:40 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Especially here in Comiefornia(Non-Castle state)....I have the distinct pleasure to have to retreat thru the entire house shouting "STOP OR I'LL SHOOT!!!" ...thru the whole house, during a home invasion scenario and only being able to pull the trigger when I reach the last room with no other place to go and being in imminent fear of death.....lol..Even doing everything perfect which of course I pray I'd never have to, I'd still end up in jail here for a few days at the least most likely and sued by the perps family even with the perps lifetime documented history of being a thug.......SMH. :blink:

Driven, you REALLY need to get out of Commiefornia! Arizona is much more sensible when it comes to things like that. Castle Doctrine, no requirement to retreat, PLUS we're a Constitutional Carry state, and you can carry either openly or concealed.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby AuntBee » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Great article. I like this part because I think doing something like this while I wait for the judge.

"When it comes to defensive pistol practice, airsoft and BB pistols are useful training tools. Some of these are extremely realistic and operate exactly like a real pistol, such as the ASP line from SIG Sauer. It’s a simple matter to make a “bullet trap” for one out of a cardboard box stuffed with newspaper, and you can recover the BBs and use them over again. I’ve found them to be useful for all kinds of practice but especially appreciate using them to work on controlling the sights and pressing the trigger. Another option could be to invest in a laser training system, like those from LaserLyte. If you look around, you’ll find many laser training ystems varying in cost from several dollars to a few hundred dollars."

Thank you for posting the article, CI

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Now here's a cool thing.
In case this doesn't load, It's a headboard with a push open compartment for your rifle. A person would just have to raise their hands over their head and there it is.

<a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/gun-bed-shotgun-3YNaQqbBw3YJy">via GIPHY</a></p>

I guess it's not a new idea, but it's new to me.

Aunt Bee
AuntBee

Return to Guns