• Advertisement

Wacky LDS calculator or am I missing something?

Discuss general food topics here

Wacky LDS calculator or am I missing something?

Postby Murby » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:22 am

I was checking out the provident living calculator to see what they had to say about food storage..
https://providentliving.com/preparednes ... /foodcalc/

Typed in 52 weeks for 3 adults and got some crazy numbers..

Can someone take a look?
1200 lbs grain
180 lbs legumes
90 lbs dairy
180 lbs of sugar :?
18 lbs salt (that one I get)
90 lbs of fats

1200 lbs of grain? WHAT?? That works out to just over a pound of grain per person per day..
Murby

Re: Wacky LDS calculator or am I missing something?

Postby Blondie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 am

Unfortunately, to avoid wasting your time & money, nothing beats doing your own calcs based on how your family eats. Mark containers with dates of purchase and dates opened.

I bake a lot and yet I'm still learning what is needed for a year's worth of pantry goods.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:55 am

Murby wrote:I was checking out the provident living calculator to see what they had to say about food storage..

Can someone take a look?
1200 lbs grain
180 lbs legumes
90 lbs dairy
90 lbs of fats

1200 lbs of grain? WHAT?? That works out to just over a pound of grain per person per day..

???? ... 1200lbs = 23lb per week = 7.6lbs per person per week = roughly 1lb per day
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Gunns » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
Murby wrote:I was checking out the provident living calculator to see what they had to say about food storage..

Can someone take a look?
1200 lbs grain
180 lbs legumes
90 lbs dairy
90 lbs of fats

???? ... 1200lbs = 23lb per week = 7.6lbs per person per week = roughly 1lb per day

That's about 1,500 calories. Plus sugar is for making it all taste better.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby donba » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:30 pm

I just use this as a guide. We couldn't live on this kind of diet so we mix in others, three months of freezes dried. Month of MRE, A few months of store bought food. Mix it all up, a years supply of food. Think how boring just eating any one group of food would be. Take your favorite meal eat nothing else, by the end of a week you will be sick of it.
donba

Postby Murby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:34 am

donba wrote:I just use this as a guide. We couldn't live on this kind of diet so we mix in others, three months of freezes dried. Month of MRE, A few months of store bought food. Mix it all up, a years supply of food. Think how boring just eating any one group of food would be. Take your favorite meal eat nothing else, by the end of a week you will be sick of it.

I get that.. we have a huge variety from home canned meat soups (pork, chicken, venison, beef and even fish!) to home canned pork and beans, over 100 cans of store bought tuna (some in water, some in oil), and a variety of other things.

What I learned from the calculator is that I am still very under-stocked and need to increase our supply.
Murby

Postby RockinB » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:58 am

We used this calculator as a guide too. Our family numbers are a lot higher and we are very close on the quantities in the main "shtf" category's that matter to us.
We're finished prepping "shtf" food storage and have no intentions of ever using it. Peace of mind without maintaining a rigorous rotation schedule works best for us.
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby Murby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:14 am

RockinB wrote:We used this calculator as a guide too. Our family numbers are a lot higher and we are very close on the quantities in the main "shtf" category's that matter to us.
We're finished prepping "shtf" food storage and have no intentions of ever using it. Peace of mind without maintaining a rigorous rotation schedule works best for us.

Well that's certainly one way of doing it.. I plan on doing the same with our wheat berries.. Not really interested in wasting my time grinding them up so hopefully they turn out to be a waste of money.

But our canned soups are delicious.. better than anything that comes out of a cambells soup can.. I eat our canned foods all the time and I don't do it reluctantly.. After working outside in the cold weather, its nice to be able to pop a quart jar of soup into the microwave and have it ready in 4 minutes.
Murby

Postby kappydell » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:17 pm

a pound of grain a day is a common figure; just remember that does not mean a pound of wheat berries, necessarily.....grains are extremely varied , such as rice, barley, flours, pasta (noodles, macaroni, ramen), oatmeal, popcorn, and cornmeal. That would make it easy to go thru a pound per person. That only seems like a lot, until you break it down.
So don't be too quick to dismiss it- because it takes about 8 oz flour to make 1 lb bread....3 1/2 c cooked elbow macaroni is 8 oz uncooked...and 1 cup uncooked rice makes 3 cups but weighs 7 oz. You will be hungry and probably doing much more physically than usual so you will need those calories. If I'm eating strictly out of storage I can do a pound of grain easily, along with those ounces of legumes. I plan on NOT getting outside food sources (game, fish, etc) as a conservative plan which makes a pound of grain pretty sparse in my opinion. Any outside food sources will be used as available and as I can get them, but I am not betting my survival on them.

Hope this helps clarify things...
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Return to General Food Topics