• Advertisement

Remington 700's

Topics about guns

Remington 700's

Postby rickdun » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:36 am

I was reading a story about the 700's and the deaths that have been caused by it firing even though the trigger was not pulled. There is now a recall on the 700's and a class action lawsuit against remington. I own one and it never fired like this but I'm not going to shoot it anymore unit they fix the problem.

If you own one be very careful.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Re: Remington 700's

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:32 am

I heard about a lawsuit, but not the recall.

Thank you for the information.

I have a co-worker who's head will likely explode. He has a custom Remington 700 he brags about all day long.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:34 am

Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby ajax727 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:52 am

I have heard about the issue with the Remington 700 . I have a couple nib's that have not been shot and a couple that have had just a few rounds fired under a box . I zeroed in the scopes and just put them up . I had no issues when I dialed them in but I only shot around 10 rounds per rifle I think .
Thanks for the information .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 am

I've got a Remington 700 that I want to go hunting with. I will have to check the trigger and serial # to see if it is one of the rifles that should be recalled. I hope to get this fixed. I really do want to take it hunting.
Photon Guy

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:00 pm

I remember seeing this on TV. I thought it was old news and they were showing a rerun. I need to add a bolt action and the 700 was on my short list. Maybe i need to scratch it off...
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:42 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:I remember seeing this on TV. I thought it was old news and they were showing a rerun. I need to add a bolt action and the 700 was on my short list. Maybe i need to scratch it off...

Just one guys opinion, I like the Winchester Model 70 action myself.

Control feed.
Claw extractor.
Blade ejector, which is really nice if you reload. No going to hunt for brass. Ease the bolt back and the spent brass will pop right into your hand.
Three position safety.

To me, it is a more refined rifle.

Again, just my opinion.

I also owned a CZ550 hunting rifle. Mauser action. I could have a live round, remove the bolt and it would hold the bullet firmly against the bolt face.
Had a push set trigger.
Very nice.

I sold it for the FNH PBR.
Cast Iron

Postby donba » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Don't sweat it RayMac Buy another Glock.... :D :D
donba

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:45 pm

donba wrote:Don't sweat it RayMac Buy another Glock.... :D :D

You joke, but i have to fight myself not to got to the gun show this weekend. Glock 17s are my Catcher in the Rye :unsure:
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Postby MrDanB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:48 pm

They did an expose on 60 minutes last night on it. Likely, many have died from the issues. Seems the first trigger group was faulty, but Remington never admitted fault, but DID pay out to victims. They "upgraded" the trigger group to an even worse set of problems for the rifle: Seems that in very cold conditions, when you disengage the safety, it can fire without even touching the trigger! An ex-Marine was handling his loaded rifle in his home, he took the safety off and it fired. The round went through the window and straight through 2 neighbor gals across the street, fatally wounding them both. A really bizarre tragedy. Another story was a Father with 2 boys. The boys got into a verbal altercation and the older boy pulled out his fathers Remington 700 and pointed it at his brother. The rifle went off without ever touching the trigger. The father testified AGAINST the surviving son. Later, the trigger issue came to light and the son was released from jail. There were others as well. This seems like a case of "safety first isn't safe enough". I almost bought a Remington 700 a few years back. Kinda glad I didn't now... They said that if every Remington 700 owner in America turned in their rifle for the upgrade to the trigger, it would cost a half billion to do it. You never know...
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby JoyDog » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:23 pm

I have owned one for 30+ years. Never had a problem!
JoyDog

Postby IceFire » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Fortunately, my Remington 700 is too old to be affected...it was originally my grandfather's, from the 1960's, well before the XMP trigger came along. Grandpa never had a problem with it, and neither have I.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Rustler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:46 am

I had not heard about this....easy to check on the web site though. My 700DM is too old as well.....1997. You can use the serial number or just look at the trigger.....if the trigger face is ribbed, it is not included in the recall. Thanks for the info.
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government - George Washington
Rustler
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Dirk Williams » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:24 pm

All my 700 s were upgraded to timney strait shoe triggers. I've got three old style700 triggers, if one of you needs one, let me know. I'll send you one.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby BK in KC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:57 pm

JoyDog wrote:I have owned one for 30+ years. Never had a problem!

I believe the faulty triggers are in rifles manufacture between 2006 and 2014. If you have an older rifle you should be good. Back in the day Remington used to have good quality control.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions." --James Lileks

Drink the Kool-Aid: it’ll taste sweet. That burning sensation in your throat is just that feeling of liberation, as your soul separates from your flesh.
BK in KC
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Next

Return to Guns