• Advertisement

.50 Beowulf

Topics about guns

.50 Beowulf

Postby MrDanB » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:15 am

I was looking into AR variants and found this:
http://www.alexanderarms.com/products/50-beowulf

Alexander Arms came up with an upper for the AR 15 that pins right on any standard lower. Shoots a .50 Beowulf round. I went to you tube and looked at some reviews. Seems folks are pretty happy with it. Anyone have any first hand experience with it? I'm not sure if I want to buy the upper and dismantle an existing rifle I have or save up a bit more and buy a complete rifle. Any thoughts? :gunsmile:
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator

Re: .50 Beowulf

Postby donba » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Well my first thought is you need to buy two and give one to me ..........
donba

Postby RockinB » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:58 am

I looked in to these heavy calibers in the AR platform and was leaning toward the 458 SOCOM for ballistics. Ammo prices were way to high to stock multiple thousands of rounds and I really couldn't justify the utility of adding this caliber to the mix. If I ever venture back into this realm, ammo prices and availability may be the deciding factor.

I agree with you. I would not breakup an existing AR platform to add it. If it has utility for me it will need to be its own platform and be available when I need it.

Good luck with your venture!
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:43 am

Yeah...this is an expensive round. I found this out with .41 Magnum...expensive. Hence I am learning to roll my own ammo in this calibration.

Were I to own a .50 Beowulf...It would be the same thing...rolling my own. That Brass is more uncommon than .41 Magnum.

But .50 Beowulf is a powerful close up round with heavy penetration. One would verily need such penetration and energy delivery to justify such a rifle.

I would myself, for that expense, prefer 12 gauge slug...up close.

The interesting thing about the AR platforms is the variation of calibers in which it can be found.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby Cast Iron » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:35 am

I took a look at it when it first came out. Back then there was not as many bullets available.

Brass is not common, but then again neither are the .45Thumper, or the .458SOCOM.
Not sure if you can use other brass to make those.

While looking around, some mentioned it was likely easier to find 45-70govt than any of the above.

It is a good looking round. I can understand your interest.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby orangetom1999 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:54 am

Cast Iron wrote:I took a look at it when it first came out. Back then there was not as many bullets available.

Brass is not common, but then again neither are the .45Thumper, or the .458SOCOM.

While looking around, some mentioned it was likely easier to find 45-70govt than any of the above.

Good point Cast Iron about using other brass to form this case.

I don't think so as I recall this case has a rim on the end of it which is smaller than the case where in the powder resides.

This is a very unusual case in the manner it is manufactured.

I can convert 30.06 to 7.7mm Japanese...to .308...to .243..and also .223 to 7mm TCU. But this one .50 Beowulf is a very unusual case.

Best to try to buy this brass in bulk where possible.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:15 am

orangetom1999 wrote:
Cast Iron wrote:I took a look at it when it first came out. Back then there was not as many bullets available.

Good point Cast Iron about using other brass to form this case.

I don't think so as I recall this case has a rim on the end of it which is smaller than the case where in the powder resides.

This is a very unusual case in the manner it is manufactured.

I can convert 30.06 to 7.7mm Japanese...to .308...to .243..and also .223 to 7mm TCU. But this one .50 Beowulf is a very unusual case.

Best to try to buy this brass in bulk where possible.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Looking through various reloading manuals, I recall some cases using the 45-70govt as the parent case then necked down, or trimmed to form the new case.
It may have been the .45Thumper or the .458SOCOM I am thinking of. Do not have the manual here in front of me to say.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Dirk Williams » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:00 pm

I've owned them in AR pistols. Not anything to sing praise. If your doing that route, like the guys are saying 458 socom we have a couple in our group, not me anymore, but their a beast.

It's not widely known but SF raiders are using these in Urban operations. They hit like a freight train, heck one of the guys elk hunts with his, in the deep brush. Took a smallish bull at 40/50 yards in a small clearing, said the elk dropped instantly, was DRT, on the spot.

Also,ammo is spendy, very very spendy. I had looked into dies and associated loading stuff a few years ago. Good god. Crazy expensive to re load. I traded the 458 off. Was taking me back imto odd and unusual calibers, something I've been trying to get away from.

DW
Dirk Williams

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Exactly Dirk,

Was taking me back imto odd and unusual calibers, something I've been trying to get away from.

That was my concern in learning to roll my own for the 41 magnum...the end costs. But I found out I can get the brass locally at the BASS Pro and occasionally get a bag and put it away. Buy bullets in bulk...and also reload Hornady Hollow points and cast lead gas checks. Brass availability was the deciding factor for me here. I've put back about 1200 cases to date...Starline.

It is a type of freight train up close, the 41 Mag... but not like the .458...or the .50 Beowulf.

Costs are indeed a big factor...in these types of tools. But when you badly need the freight train....the costs are secondary or not at all.

I can understand why SF would want them close up and personal...for that very freight train effect.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby MrDanB » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:56 am

After much reading and the opinions expressed here... I've decided to wait until a little later this year. If I still want it in the fall, I will go all in with a rifle and a good amount of ammo. No ammo = an expensive club... Thanks for the thoughts on this guys!

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:41 pm

MrDanB wrote:After much reading and the opinions expressed here... I've decided to wait until a little later this year. If I still want it in the fall, I will go all in with a rifle and a good amount of ammo. No ammo = an expensive club... Thanks for the thoughts on this guys!

Dan,

I've done the same thing ...waited until the fever burned less hot. It was the case with this 41 Magnum revolver. I took my time and not let it burn all that hard into my conscience so to speak. Once I found out I could get brass locally ...that is what got me going.

This one is a very unusual design in that the brass in that the case rim at the primer is smaller than the diameter of the case at the powder charge.

But no doubt about it being a freight train when you need just such close in effects/potential.

Yup ...Yup!!! No ammo...just an expensive club. Quite correct!!

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby MrDanB » Sat May 27, 2017 5:21 am

Well, apparently it's "later this year"... I found a guy out of Montana who takes the Alexander Arms Beowulf .50 and slicks them out. Tactical Realm is where I found this beast:
http://shop.tacticalrealm.com/Custom-Bu ... _p_13.html
Should be ready for pick up at my FFL dealer by next weekend. I will take pics and post a little about it once I get up to the hills to try it out. Maybe I should start a "go fund me" account so I can buy some ammo.lol ($26.99 for 20 rounds was the cheapest I could find...)

MrDanB

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat May 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Wow Dan,

($26.99 for 20 rounds was the cheapest I could find...)

Yeah....that is what I found with this 41 Magnum. Locally ammo is in the high 20s to some 35 bucks for twenty rounds.

Once I found out where to get the brass locally I was ok rolling my own.

But that 50 Beowulf is a very unique type of brass In the manner it is made.

Enjoy shooting it. It is indeed a powerful round close up..in close.

Keep them in the X ring,

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby MrDanB » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 am

I went up to Cabelas and picked up a large case of FMJ for this rifle last night. When I got home, I decided to look online for other suppliers of .50 Beo. Seems they make a brass bullet (350 grain spitzer) cartridge that will penetrate brick walls. In the description it reads: "for extremely dangerous game". I was thinking "extremely dangerous"? As opposed to what, kinda dangerous or very dangerous? A rhino with a bad molar comes to mind.lol I can find all of the components at decent prices, but the TIME put in to reloading is a killer for me. I will probably save the brass and sell it to help offset new ammo purchases. I pick up the rifle tomorrow at my FFL dealer. I will have to post some pics when I get out and try it. :gunsmile:

MrDanB

Postby MrDanB » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Here's my new Beowulf .50
20170606_155844_resized.jpg

MrDanB

Next

Return to Guns