• Advertisement

Testing our dehydrator

Topics for discussing dehydration, drying, and smoking as methods for food preservation

Testing our dehydrator

Postby donba » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Just got through loading 4 of the 5 trays on our dehydrator. We haven't used it much decided to run a few trays through it. !tray is tomato slices. 1 tray of lemon slices. 1 tray of orange slices. 1tray is 1/2 oranges and the other half cumquats.Started the dehydrating by running it at 165 for thirty minuets, then down 135. When this load is done we bought a pineapple, to try out. How do you tell if a pineapple is ripe. :) I think I will be drying some foods we don't or can't grow locally.
donba

Re: Testing our dehydrator

Postby NJMike » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 pm

Sounds great. Good idea to concentrate on items you want that could be difficult to get in the future. Out of curiosity how are you storing these when you're done?

I've got a small dehydrator that hasn't been used in years. I have some bananas that are ripe so perhaps I'll see if it's still working. Otherwise, I picked up a newer one for the GF around the holidays and she's using it. I may be outsourcing my dehydrating...lol.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby donba » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:25 am

We have a lot of empty canning jars, and will use an oxygen tab as well as vacuuming them. We live in a housing track in a small town north of LA. Our gardening has ben small things like lettuce, corn, not enough room for other than a few plants. So we will dehydrate more things like corn, cut green beans.anything that would take a lot of room to grow.
donba

Postby JayJay » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:18 am

donba wrote:We have a lot of empty canning jars, and will use an oxygen tab as well as vacuuming them. We live in a housing track in a small town north of LA. Our gardening has ben small things like lettuce, corn, not enough room for other than a few plants. So we will dehydrate more things like corn, cut green beans.anything that would take a lot of room to grow.

Use Kroger's to do your work. Buy $1 bag frozen veggies and dry them. I do this a lot.
They grow, pick, clean, slice, and blanch for me!!! ;)

Oh, my raised bed will still have tomatoes this summer for my convenience.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby donba » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:11 pm

We will have tomatoes and salad stuff in our raised bed as well as spices to dry from 8 inch pots. everything dried good except for the cumquats they were still mushy to much moisture for just cut in half. We have a Walley world about 10 blocks away for the frozen veggies, that $1.00 a bag is a good price.
donba

Postby mombear » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:03 am

to tell if a pineapple is ripe when you pull out the inner leaves they come out toooooo easily, with no real tugging.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Return to Drying, Dehydrating, & Smoking