• Advertisement

Prepper investments

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

Prepper investments

Postby RollingwithR » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:34 pm

I'm a life long prepper and like most preppers I have very little faith in our government and Financial system. I'm prepared for most any disaster including a economic disaster. It makes since to me to save and even invest a little money, it's just doing so in banks or the market goes against everything Im prepping for. Now of course I'm heavily invested in precious metals that I have physical control over. But I'm wondering if anyone has any other kind of investment for me to put some cash into. Something outside the traditional bank and market systems. I'm talking thousands not hundreds not tens of thousands. Thanks I look forward to your input...
RollingwithR

Re: Prepper investments

Postby mombear » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:03 pm

in our town there are empty lots and I found that I can purchase them for really cheap (some for as low as $600). These lots aren't big, but what I did was buy a pre-fab single wide house (I did find a couple of used ones that saved a ton), put it on a permanent foundation and rented it out. I also had built a carport. My total costs was just under $40,000 and able to rent them out for $800 a month. Your ROI will be low for a few years, then it is all gravy. My plan is to pay them off in 5 years. I am looking for more lots now.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby anita » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:53 pm

My brother and I have taken some of our IRA money, put it into a self-directed IRA and purchased a couple of lots with it. (20+ acres). We did this in an area where a lot of fracking is happening. We did it for the gas rights leasing potential. Nothing has happened so far--oil/gas prices plummeted, then PA got a demwit governor, so I'm not sure if it will pay out or not.

We figured if the gov't decides to take our IRA money (there has been discussion of that in congress) it would be a little more complicated to take that.

Not sure that's what you are looking for, but there it is.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:55 pm

an investment of sorts for that cash...But its a business that you'll get whatever you put into it...I mean more effort = more return.

Amazon FBA selling.

Private label products.

look on youtube for those 2 phrases....You'll see.

Don't pay for any courses teaching you it if interested...PM me for the basics to decide if its right for you if interested after watching.

That might be what your looking for if willing to spend a little cash and effort.(3-4K for first product launch)...You will be in control of your own income and able to work anywhere with an internet connection....If done right you'll double the investment...Can easily become a $1000-????(I see 3-4 K earners often) income stream per month for each product you launch.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby daaswampman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I will assume you are talking about less than 10 thousand dollars. It started with a friend wanting a sideline business and he started selling at flea markets on weekends. He was struggling until I got him to sell vintage tools from my collection. He now makes a very decent profit on Prepper Related Tools and vintage items, things that are worthwhile in our mindset even if they don't sell now.

It takes time to know what sells to collectors and what to pay. I doubt you can go too far wrong by staying with useful vintage items and never paying more the fifty cents on the dollar. I will not post details, but I know dealers (they are always picking my leftovers) making more than most people working full time jobs. Once you get to know the real collectors (those with money) there is no limit. I work the collector level as that is what I enjoy, have time for, and can afford, but there is money to be made at all levels.

Watch some episodes of American Pickers! Yes there are old oil cans and signs worth thousands of dollars each and that is just the tip of the iceberg! The best part - almost everyone deals in cash! You might also wish to visit a few gun shows for some ideas. This is a knowledge game, the more you learn - the more you earn. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby angie_nrs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:36 pm

I diversify. That way I feel like I'm covered in the future no matter what happens.....even if nothing happens. I have some investments in the market but I like physical assets as well and not just PM's/cash/lead/guns. Of coarse, that means you need a space to store your stuff as well. Things like equipment, tools, classic cars, antiques, or any usable or desirable items qualify as investments. Anything that can be sold for more than what you paid for it qualifies in my book. The best part about some of these things is that you can enjoy them before selling them if you so choose. The worst part is that you may have to pay for upkeep, insurance, storage, etc. Heck, I even have comic books and other unique collectibles that some may look at and never know the value of. Of coarse if you're thinking "prepper investments" then you might want to focus more on food, water catchment/purification systems, hand tools, seeds, weapons, and that kind of thing. Even those things could be considered investments if you can sell them for more than what you bought them for. That's why garage sales are so cool....you can get a bunch of "prepper" stuff on the cheap. At this point, I'm no expert on selling stuff.....I just don't sell at this point in my life, but several years from now that may change.

I would suggest you gravitate toward the things you really know about. I have a friend that buys and sells tractors and similar equipment. He'll buy something that doesn't work quite right and then fix it and sell it for a nice profit. It makes a nice secondary income for him that is all cash. It gives him something to do in his spare time that he enjoys and he makes a buck to boot. A win-win! I also know someone who buys and sells vintage video games. He doesn't make a ton of money at it but he knows his stuff and he enjoys doing it. Just something else to consider......
angie_nrs

Postby MADE IN AMERICA » Wed May 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Land. Why? Theyre not making any more of it. Besides that a little silver wouldnt be a bad idea. Im deep into whoarding certain items that would turn to gold should things go bad. 22 Ammo, certain meds, motor oil etc. Good luck!
MADE IN AMERICA

Return to Financial Issues