• Advertisement

BUTTER: Ghee???

Discuss general food topics here

BUTTER: Ghee???

Postby Murby » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Anyone? Opinions?

Its called "Clarified Butter" and has a ridiculously long shelf life..

Does it really taste like butter?
Murby

Re: Ghee???

Postby anita » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Ghee really seems to be increasing in popularity. A few years ago I only saw it in Wegman's. Now I see several varieties in the local grocery.

It has a higher burn point because the dairy solids are removed. (As memory serves me, butter has about 80% fat.)

I've purchased some and have it in my stores, but I haven't used it.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby contrarian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:38 pm

I started using it about a year ago and have found it quite useful for high temperature cooking as it has a high smoke point, The flavor isn't the same, It caramelizes during the making and has a nutty flavor, A pound if unsalted butter will reduce to about 12 fluid ounces of ghee.

Most folks will recommend straining out the particles firmed, Use a metal mesh strainer and cheesecloth for that, I melted my plastic strainer in my first attempt.
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:59 pm

I have a small case.

Reminds me I'll need to get some canned crab and lobster as carrying devices for the butter.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:34 pm

NJMike wrote:I have a small case.

Reminds me I'll need to get some canned crab and lobster as carrying devices for the butter.

:| . . . :rofl: . . . :thumbsup:
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kappydell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:14 pm

a little pricey for me to buy. I instead have (don't shoot me, I'm not asking any one else to eat it) canned butter and margarine, and render all my cooking fats for re-use. All have different flash points and uses, differing types of chemical configurations, and when used in REASONABLE amounts are useful and tasty.

Even wild game fats have value - more than food uses out there, ya know - so no wasting such a valuable resource. Nothin' wrong with ghee, mind you, just haven't found any cheap enough to try or put back. I can always make my own if I get the notion.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby contrarian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:04 pm

kappydell wrote:a little pricey for me to buy. <SNIP>

Easy to make however and 1 lb butter makes about 12 fluid oz of ghee. Not bad.
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:28 am

I've read that Ghee can still go rancid, because it's an oil. Only has a couple of years for shelf life. Here's two contradictory links. I don't know which direction to go regarding storing ghee. -k

Ghee Buyer's Guide
http://www.pureindianfoods.com/ghee-buy ... -a/283.htm
Shelf Life: This information applies to all of our ghee products, which includes ghee, cultured ghee, coconut ghee, spiced ghee, and Coffee++. The shelf life of unopened jar is one year, with or without refrigeration.

Ghee ("clarified butter") for Long-Term Storage
http://doablesurvival.blogspot.com/2012 ... -term.html

Ok, this is where it gets sticky. I'd love to tell you the shelf-life of ghee, but there is a lot of conflicting information out there! There are "prepper" type sites that sell canned ghee and say it has a shelf-life of 20-30 years. I read in other places that it has a 10-15 year shelf-life and still in other places that it is good "indefinitely" and "nonperishable". (I've seen recipes for canning regular butter that is supposed to be good for 2-3 years, but the government warns against this as not being safe; but, if there are people out there canning regular butter for 2-3 years then, certainly, properly prepared and stored ghee should be good for AT LEAST that long.) I'm no expert and you need to use your own discretion on this; but after all the reading I've done on it, (and I did a lot) I'm confident it should be good (properly) canned and stored for at least a few years, possibly decades. Someone on a message board claimed that 1,000-year-old ghee was found in a grave and was still good. Well, I don't know about that. lol
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to General Food Topics