• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Lied like a rug to neighbors

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Re: Lied like a rug to neighbors

Postby Mollypup » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:32 pm

I hope your mother is doing well.

I have a feeling the neighbor was lying as well. Heating with an oven would be warm if you have even a vague idea of how to go about it. There would be no need for that particular neighbor to come knocking. I've heated our home with the gas stove on several occasions and it was warm, no CO2 issues either. You just keep the space your heating rather small by blocking off other rooms.

Rather bold of neighbor in my book & I'd make a strong mental note to keep an eye on that one should power go out or shtf in the future.

This is why I do my best to keep a low profile during a natural disaster. (also why I don't own a generator) Owning a gas stove lets me do that. I also have a back up just in case for some reason I can't use the stove......my heating buddy that runs on propane.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 pm

ran across this little tidbit article concerning this very posting topic - "Oops someone found out" ....

https://urbansurvivalsite.com/things-yo ... eparedness
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby John Galt 1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:16 am

Where I'm at pretty much everyone has or understands how to maintain a wood stove. Back when I lived in a subdivision though I don't think I'd have trusted my neighbors not to overheat the stove and cause a fire.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby Anna » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:22 pm

I think I would have just stated the truth. No fire, I'm only here for a short time before going back to the hospital. If asked if they could stay and use the stove, the answer would have been no the stove is tricky so I'm not comfortable with that. So if the neighbor hates you and never speaks to you again consider it a win/win situation.

Unless she had a quite old oven, most gas ovens do not work without electricity.
Anna

Postby IceFire » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Around here, a LOT of people heat with woodstoves. Probably more do than don't. Now that nights are getting cooler, you can smell the woodsmoke in the air at night. Daughter and her husband just installed one for heat at their house, as well. Have a small one that is going into my sewing shed, and got a wood-fired cookstove for in my "canning kitchen". Then again we aren't in town.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 3ADScout » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:49 am

One of my favorite sayings would have been appropriate -

"Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part."
3ADScout

Previous

Return to General Family Preparedness