• Advertisement

New(used) BOV...a little different. Opinions?

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

New(used) BOV...a little different. Opinions?

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:09 am

OK...opinions here....Feel free to not hold back.....

Whelp....Pulled the trigger in a new(used) BOV.....

Ya, I know its not pretty or EMP proof but I need an everyday nicer interior vehicle for clients and around town every day driving transport as well... Enter the 2013 Honda Ridgeline RTL(top trim) 4X4....Consumer Reports best pick in all truck class for reliability/ride.

Only a 5000lbs tow rating but for what I need as a last case BOV(Primary route does not include a land egress), this will also get me out camping, desert shooting, etc. much more reliable than my current 4x4 at 87,000 miles.

I cranked out a great deal....$22,000 at 19,000 miles. :) (It pays to be a former sales manager in the RV industry)

What do ya'll think?....remember...I'm currently in Urban as it gets......This was a cost vs flexibility decision....And I'm not thin skinned either or I wouldn't be asking...lol

video review.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8cQlAxir3U

Not sure about this last image as this airstream should be at least 4500-5000lbs, but someones doing it....lol

OK all.....let me have it....praise? complaints? Whadayathinks? :D

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Re: New(used) BOV...a little different. Opinions?

Postby Dirk Williams » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:25 am

Nice ride.

The best rig, is the one you have. I'm certain you will make this one work for you needs.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:07 pm

No good for you. Send it to me and I will take good care of it. My pickup,2nd vehicle is a 96 Dodge with 192,000. V-10's never wear out.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Looks pretty sweet. Remember testing on new cars for EMP showed only a few percent will be wiped out by EMP.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby bacpacker1513 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:14 pm

I have a buddy that had one for a while. The only complaint I heard about it was fuel milage. His was several years Der than yours is.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby theoutback » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:43 pm

Does ARE or any others make a cap for them?
theoutback

Postby Stahlrosen » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:01 pm

I have a couple handlers that have one, they love theirs. The only thing they don't like is the gas millage.

Yes, they make caps for them, except the very new model that just came out.
Stahlrosen

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:33 pm

I have to say, driving it around today was surprising...It really rides well. ALMOST doesn't feel like a truck...The few "accidental" curb hops showed the feel. ;)

I understood about the gas issue before purchasing...Time will tell on that. I tend to be a lead-foot so gas hasn't always been a concern. It seems to be getting in the 16-17mpg range so far but only one day in so who knows...Seems standard for the bigger trucks at that so there is that downside for sure. I only have to drive 2 miles to the office so other than play time and occasional client interactions I'll be fine there.

The get-up-and-go was surprising too for the V6...Tires actually broke free without me intending to.......Don't know about the high-end as I wasn't getting over 50mph on regular streets.(all I need to ruin the "New car good feeling" is a brand new ticket to go along with it...lol)

I'll be getting an inspection tomorrow to be safe....$65 for peace of mind before the 5 day return window I have and all that jazz...

Insurance only went up $104 annually...another no big deal/was expecting more going from an 08.

BTW....Anyone want to buy a V6 4X4 Ford Escape.....lol :innocent:

That should go pretty quick on Carguru anyways....

Thanks for the input....Pretty happy I guess.

Oh ya,.... and Rocks.....get your own. :D

Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby daaswampman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:16 pm

All that matters, is what is right for you! I would need something with plenty of ground clearance and a vehicle I can work on. My daily drives are Jeep and Porsche, so an older Jeep was the way to go for me. I'm set unless a J200 Gladiator comes along!

Swamp "It's a Tremors Thing".
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby kenjabroni » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:55 am

Nice ride. Do remember when pulling though if you do have your bed loaded down with gear itll affect your towing capacity a bit. If you do have to bug out you dont want to be pulling a trailer down the road with your front tires off the ground. Even a smaller trailer or hitch pull trailer is better than having nothing in SHTF though. Itll get you out of the weather and elements. Depending on the trailer you get or use, you might want to get a couple small solar panels as well that could charge your batteries or even run your fridge for a few hours a day.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:07 am

kenjabroni wrote:Nice ride. Do remember when pulling though if you do have your bed loaded down with gear itll affect your towing capacity a bit. If you do have to bug out you dont want to be pulling a trailer down the road with your front tires off the ground. Even a smaller trailer or hitch pull trailer is better than having nothing in SHTF though. Itll get you out of the weather and elements. Depending on the trailer you get or use, you might want to get a couple small solar panels as well that could charge your batteries or even run your fridge for a few hours a day.

good info...Thanks.

I used to run the biggest RV dealerships on the west coast...many people forget that little tidbit about subtracting bed-weight from towing capacity.

I took it thru serious paces yesterday in the local hills to learn my limits...I had it loaded with 5 filled Waterbricks in the under-bed compartment to see how much they'd shift around. They didn't really. .....lol.....Lets just say only 2 wheels were touching at one point. :thumbup: :clap: :D :) (I'll post some pic's)

I know it's not a crawler, but with all the other bells and whistles I'll take it!
Handled anything I could/should throw at it like a dream...I'm actually extremely impressed at what it handled as an everyday driver.

MPG did drop quite a bit but I was putting it thru some serious climbing thru certain pathways....averaged out to 15.1 MPG after a freeway trip back...about 100 miles RT.

Going to get a soft tonto cover to help on the mileage/casual security....we'll see what it does if anything.

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Dest » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:45 pm

I had the same vehicle in black and I loved it. My favorite truck ever and I've had quite a few. What happened to it? Driver crossed over the center on the freeway and hit us virtually head on. That Ridgeline definitely saved our lives with all of the airbags and safety features that Honda includes. In my opinion, great purchase!
Dest

Postby danthman114 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am

I'm in the process of building mine. It's almost done but still along way off. One day I'll do a diesel conversion. I have a 96 Toyota Landcruiser. I tried posting a pic but the website says it was too big...
danthman114

Return to General Family Preparedness