• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Mylar Bag Fiasco... What is going on??

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Mylar Bag Fiasco... What is going on??

Postby Murby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:07 pm

I ordered some 5 gallon mylar bags from an online supplier and they arrived double folded in a plastic envelope..

When you open a bag and hold them to the day light, you can see 6 to 10 holes where light is coming through right were the bag was creased and folded. Of course, it also gets bounced around in the UPS truck and the edges get crumpled.

Are holes in the large 5 gallon bags normal? They won't leak water but they will certainly allow oxygen in since the aluminum shield has holes.

Opinions?
Murby

Re: Mylar Bag Fiasco... What is going on??

Postby rickdun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:15 pm

If it were me, I'd send them back for a refund of my money and that company would be on my do not order from list.

I have several companies on that list, they will not get another order from me.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 pm

I agree with returning them and see if the company will make good on a replacement.

Last time I ordered mylar bags was awhile ago from mylarpro. I was happy with my purchase and my bags were in good shape.

Good luck!
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Murby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:50 pm

I ordered the bags from Walmart.. They were very good about processing the return with a prepaid shipping label... I explained why they were damaged so they could avoid it when they sent replacements.

The replacements arrived with the exact same damage.. again, on the phone, easy return policy, they sent another replacement. Spent 20 minutes explaining why the bags are damaged and that every order they send out this way to people is going to be the same problem. The customer service took notes and said they'd repackage them.

Got the third package and again the exact same thing.. same damage, (more of it actually), same packaging. Another easy return, this time I requested a refund as I gave up with them.. They refunded my money AND sent me a $20 gift card to my email.

So I called up DiscountMylarBags.com and asked them if this is normal and they said YES.. It is normal for mylar bags to have pinholes in them but that they are still water-tight.. HUH?????????????? Normal to have damage?????

Sorry, but WHAT THE F#%%???
Murby

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:31 pm

mylar bags shouldn't be folded - can't be sharply creased at all ..... gentle roll or better yet shipped flat

it's not common for pinholes - common cause is the production use of the outer roll sheets to make bags - they are supposed to be shed as waste and a write off to proper production .... sounds like your holes were transport related ...

another problem that occurs on occasion is a contamination smell ....

no idea why Discount Bags customer service told you holes are that common and OK - they're junk - Discount certainly doesn't knowingly ship out damaged product ... the owners of Discount are fellow preppers and belong to most of the major sites ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Murby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:02 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:mylar bags shouldn't be folded - can't be sharply creased at all ..... gentle roll or better yet shipped flat

it's not common for pinholes - common cause is the production use of the outer roll sheets to make bags - they are supposed to be shed as waste and a write off to proper production .... sounds like your holes were transport related ...

no idea why Discount Bags customer service told you holes are that common and OK - they're junk - Discount certainly doesn't knowingly ship out damaged product ... the owners of Discount are fellow preppers and belong to most of the major sites ....

The Discount Mylar guy said he uses them with holes himself.. Perhaps he could chime in here and explain..
Murby

Postby 101airborne » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:40 pm

rickdun wrote:If it were me, I'd send them back for a refund of my money and that company would be on my do not order from list.

I have several companies on that list, they will not get another order from me.

I agree. Every time I've ordered them they come rolled up and then wrapped in bubble wrap.
101airborne

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Murby wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:mylar bags shouldn't be folded - can't be sharply creased at all ..... gentle roll or better yet shipped flat

The Discount Mylar guy said he uses them with holes himself.. Perhaps he could chime in here and explain..

the entire purpose of using a mylar bag is having an totally enclosed envelope - with the holes the vacuum integrity is shot - might as well just use a bare food grade bucket ... a mylar bag has almost the same air impenetrability as a solid container like glass or metal - a remarkable piece of technology ....

if you're one of the people that packs incorrectly and don't use a bucket - you're totally screwed & tattooed ....

if the guy you're talking to at Discount is shipping out junk mylar bagging - he needs to be put on a "Do Not Buy List" ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Murby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:20 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
the entire purpose of using a mylar bag is having an totally enclosed envelope - with the holes the vacuum integrity is shot
- might as well just use a bare food grade bucket ... a mylar bag has almost the same air impenetrability as a solid container like glass or metal - a remarkable piece of technology ....

I need to clear this up so there's no confusion. The vacuum integrity is still there.. its only the thin aluminum that is broken.. the plastic membrane is still intact.. Light can shine through the clear plastic because the opaque aluminum layer has been broken.

if you're one of the people that packs incorrectly and don't use a bucket - you're totally screwed & tattooed ....

So far, the only mylar bags I've used are the 1 gallon size.. but it was quite apparent that loading 40 or 50 pounds of material into an unsupported bag would be a bad idea. I had planned on putting the bag into the bucket before loading it.. This stuff isn't complicated to me, but the pin-holes are an issue so far as I can tell..

if the guy you're talking to at Discount is shipping out junk mylar bagging - he needs to be put on a "Do Not Buy List" ....

I've actually heard good things about them.. but it makes me wonder if people ever bother to check their bags against a light bulb. I learned of the pinhole problem with the 1 gallon bags. You can crease and pinch them once.. if you pinch the same spot twice, pinholes show up.

Mylar bags are not very strong when it comes to the aluminum layer integrity.
Murby

Postby contrarian » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:08 am

I ordered mine through Amazon and they arrived in properly sized boxes. Both 1 gal and 5 were flat as can be, no issues at all.
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:43 am

Murby wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:
the entire purpose of using a mylar bag is having an totally enclosed envelope - with theI need to clear this up so there's no confusion. The vacuum integrity is still there.. its only the thin aluminum that is broken.. the plastic membrane is still intact.. Light can shine through the clear plastic because the opaque aluminum layer has been broken. holes the vacuum integrity is shot
- might as well just use a bare food grade bucket ... a mylar bag has almost the same air impenetrability as a solid container like glass or metal - a remarkable piece of technology ....

So far, the only mylar bags I've used are the 1 gallon size.. but it was quite apparent that loading 40 or 50 pounds of material into an unsupported bag would be a bad idea. I had planned on putting the bag into the bucket before loading it.. This stuff isn't complicated to me, but the pin-holes are an issue so far as I can tell..

I've actually heard good things about them.. but it makes me wonder if people ever bother to check their bags against a light bulb. I learned of the pinhole problem with the 1 gallon bags. You can crease and pinch them once.. if you pinch the same spot twice, pinholes show up.

Mylar bags are not very strong when it comes to the aluminum layer integrity.

the outer metal coating layer is everything when it comes to these multi-layer cross laid type bags - that's where the air re-infiltration battle is fought - it's why built in creases aren't permissible either - no deep scratches - no denting or cratering ....

again - if you're using damaged bags or tossing the filled bags around like a beach ball - you might as well not bother with using the bags ... you take a factory fresh bag off your pile and spread it out into the bucket - make sure your hands are clean - keep the bag interior as clean & sterile as possible - they are manufactured to a food grade level ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Murby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:50 am

Illini Warrior wrote:
the outer metal coating layer is everything when it comes to these multi-layer cross laid type bags - that's where the air re-infiltration battle is fought - it's why built in creases aren't permissible either - no deep scratches - no denting or cratering ....

again - if you're using damaged bags or tossing the filled bags around like a beach ball - you might as well not bother with using the bags ... you take a factory fresh bag off your pile and spread it out into the bucket - make sure your hands are clean - keep the bag interior as clean & sterile as possible - they are manufactured to a food grade level ...

The only thing I did with these 5 gal bags was to take them out of the flimsy envelope they arrived in, unfold one, open it, and hold it to the light to check for holes. There where at least 10 holes.. right where the bags were folded for shipping.
Murby

Postby Murby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:03 pm

So I ordered some bags from MylarPro and just received them today...

They are damaged in the exact same way the Walmart bags were damaged. In fact, Walmart did a better job packing them as their envelope was larger and the bags weren't so tightly folded.

See photos.. And that's just one side.. there are holes on the other side of the bag too.

You all better check your bags! I wonder how many people are out there who didn't bother to check the integrity of their bags and packed their food away.
Attachments
MylarBad2.jpg
MylarBad1.jpg
Murby

Postby daaswampman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have not had any issues, but it could be because I buy in bulk and only order thick bags. They have always been shipped flat or with one fold in the five gallon bags. I tried thin bags, but they seemed way too flimsy to trust.

I don't buy that holes in the metal is normal, even the super thin Mylar bags that chips and snacks come in, rarely have holes and they can be reused! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Murby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:42 pm

I just got the following email from MylarPro:

Thank you for your photo and response.

We tried calling you to talk, but left a message.

Yes, and they do show up in random places as well. But, light shinning through a bag does not make it a defective bag. If it did, then 3.5 mil bags won't be sold at all, since they all have multiple pinholes. They are like looking at the stars on a clear night. We don't even sell them, because we think it would lessen the quality of our line of bags, just because of the appearance. People buy them like it's going out of style just to keep their cost of prepping down.

Now the reason for the foil layer is to protect your food from the light. So unless you plan to store your food in the sunlight or an area that has a lot of light, these and other bags with pinholes would have very little effect on storing your food. A bag with many pinholes, may reduce the length of storage from 25 - 30 years down to maybe 23 - 28 years. Now these numbers have a lot of factors in them, like where you store them (climate, light, ect...), what you are storing, and the thick of the bags. So again, if it is not punctured the bags are fine to use and will last you for years. Please remember, that there 2 - 4 layers of material in these bags protecting your food.

We fold our bags to it keep the cost down for our customers. Instead of sending them cheaper low quality bag, we send our customers extremely high quality bags at great price. If we didn't fold them, the cost of shipping would raise the price $5 to $15 per order depending on location it's traveling to. Now if you order 3 or more of these packages with us, then they are shipped in a Large Flat Rate Box, and then the fold is more of a roll over and not a hard fold.

Huh What? "The reason for the foil layer is to protect your food from light" !!! Seriously?

While I realize that light can harm food, the reason for the aluminum is to stop oxygen molecules from penetrating the plastic... If light was the issue, they'd just use an opaque plastic later.

This leaves me wondering if this guy is just trying to pull the wool over my eyes or if he really is ignorant of the purpose of the aluminum barrier?
Murby

Next

Return to Food & Water