• Advertisement

Agrihoods/Agriburbia

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Agrihoods/Agriburbia

Postby anita » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Okay,

I just discovered this and maybe I'm late to the party. This seems to be a "new" iteration (there have been a couple around since the late 90s) of a planned community. Rather than have a golf course, they have a community farm, walking trails, etc.

It's still a planned community with an HOA, but the one I have looked into permits/encourages backyard gardens, chickens, and bees. It has an onsite farm that basically grows greens/vegetables/some fruit that you can participate in through a CSA, as well as growing for local restaurants etc.

I haven't heard of this before, and I'm thinking about moving to something like that if I can find one that suits. Many on here know that my husband died two years ago, and my youngest is off to college this fall and the older two are out on their own. I want to downsize, and in the last year+ of looking, I've seen nothing, or almost nothing, in my area that suits me. I don't want to be in town, but I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere where there are few people around, I know no one, etc. As a lone woman, I really like the idea of being in a neighborhood with like-minded (from the gardening/slight self-sufficiency basis) people. I do worry that there might be a bunch of old hippies (or young hippies.)

I used to sell real estate and well understand the downsides of an HOA, but since this expressly permits the things i'm interested in, I'm hoping it won't be too restrictive. I have just started to investigate, but wondered if anyone else has heard of something like this or has considered something similar. I'm looking in the Va./NC area. I live in PA now, and haven't seen anything like this here.

Here's a link to an article that mentions a few. http://www.shareable.net/blog/12-agriho ... mainstream
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Re: Agrihoods/Agriburbia

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:52 pm

just another variation of the self sustaining community with an emphasis on gardening and agriculture .... I'd want the whole package of self sufficiency - there's just some common sense crosslinking that shouldn't be ignored just because it doesn't fit the rigid marketing parameters ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Re: Agrihoods/Agriburbia

Postby Blondie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:17 pm

In the suburb of 40,000 that I used to live in a developer bought up land behind a shopping center to build a walkable community.

The quaint idea of walking to the grocery, Starbucks, etc. Keeping green and all that. The homes were so pricey that it took 2 incomes and no woman working 40+ hrs a week and 3 littles ones is going to walk to the grocery to lug home 12 bags on Saturday. That said, can they come home to plant, weed, take care of aimals, tend bees, etc?

My kids while out on their own can land back with me at any time so I keep that in mind.

ITA, not much on the market here, either. I decided to buy a parcel and build something modest. In over my head, for sure but why not?
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Return to General Homesteading Topics