• Advertisement

Tools

Discuss Bug Out Bags, Get Home Bags, and Bug Out Vehicles Here.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Tools

Postby Permafrost » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Was not sure where to put this, but it involves vehicles so I figured this was as good a place as any.

I recently got back to town from the cabin and yesterday I decided to finally fire up my old diesel truck and go into town. Needless to say I broke down. Shredded the serpentine belt, probably because it has not been used in forever and I should have checked before I left. Normally this is not a big deal. I carry a spare belt along with a extra alternator and power steering pump, tensioner & idler pulleys, fluids and filters, and even a spare mechanical fuel injection pump & fuel tank lift pump. It was when I went to change it that I ran into problems, all of my tools (and there are a lot of them) are still packed on my snowmachine & freight sled. I got running by buying some cheep wrenches & double wrenching (pales in comparison to a serpentine belt tool) to get the new belt on, but it was a wake up call about my memory. I had enough parts in the back seat of my truck to fix most common problems, but I had forgotten to switch the tools over from my winter transport to my spring ride.

I figured I would post this as a reminder to all to make sure they have their vehicles fully stocked when they use them. I know I am looking at getting triple sets of tools now (boat, snowmachine, truck) so that this does not happen again, even cheep yard sale tools are better than none.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Tools

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:24 am

Yep...Been meaning to stock up my new truck and just haven't gotten around to it...I'll jump off here and do it now since I cant sleep......Ahhhhh, E-commerce. :)

Thanks for the reminder Permafrost.

I probably don't need to remind you, but...Thermometer.:)

Say safe up there sir.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Gunns » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:09 am

Good post. I don't have any of those things in my truck.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:25 am

Gunns wrote:Good post. I don't have any of those things in my truck.

Father's Day is coming. ;)
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby angie_nrs » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:13 pm

Blondie wrote:
Gunns wrote:Good post. I don't have any of those things in my truck.

Father's Day is coming. ;)

Which means some great sales!! Actually Home Depot has some good spring sales too. Got a new tool cart for hubby and saved $100....he's been eyeing it for a long while now.

Also make sure you have ratchet straps too. I can't tell you how many times they've come in handy for us.
angie_nrs

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:19 pm

if you don't do anything else for your vehicle emergencies - check over your tire changing capabilities - wouldn't recommend just the standard OEM package that comes with the vehicle .... you definitely can use better leverage on those lugnuts - a 4way +wrench and a combo 18 inch breaker bar/pipe can get even the worse loose ... a simple 6' X 8' blue tarp makes the job cleaner ... and a better jack like a hydraulic bottle jack and a some wood blocking makes a non-pavement tire changing even possible ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Permafrost » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:51 pm

I'll second what Illini said.

My wife has a cordless 1/2" impact wrench and a floor jack in her ride, takes longer to drop the tire from underneath her ride than it does to actually change her tire. She also has a plug in 12V air compressor and a tire plug kit so tires can be repaired & inflated on the vehicle. Makes all the difference on bad gravel roads where you loose at least 1 tire per trip, she can't get heavy duty tires (load range E) in her size.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby MoosePath » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:39 pm

Every vehicle I have owned the first thing I do is buy a rim and full size spare tire to fit that vehicle. We do a lot of gravel road driving and those cheap donuts they give with the vehicle are worthless. Another valuable tool is a good flashlight that stays in the vehicle 24/7, nothing sucks more then have to change a flat in the dark without light.
MoosePath

Postby Cin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:38 pm

I had one of those plastic cat litter containers in my vehicle with bungee cords, ratchet straps, jumper cables, a net, and some tools. Jack and tire iron were stored in a lift-up portion in the trunk. Somehow, in the move, the whole box disappeared. Not quite sure where it went.

I was just telling Husband that we need to get a tool kit for the 2 vehicles we drive a lot. The truck is our "farm truck" and has all kinds of tools in it, but it isn't driven on a daily basis.

Last week, one of our neighbors needed a jump and we took our battery charger down to help her out. Turns out with her big SUV, the charger wasn't enough. We ended up having to use my Dad's jumper cables (because we couldn't find ours). So last week, I bought Husband a set of jumper cables to put in the car.

I'll be stocking the car tool box soon.
Cin

Postby daaswampman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Good post and a great reminder! I don't carry everything you list, but I do believe in carrying supplies and tools. However my list is from my experiences stranded on the side of the road! I am open to learn from others, as I would rather not learn by being on the side of the road.

I carry at least two spares when going off pavement, radiator hoses, belts, bulbs, fuses, replacement fluids, a hi-lift jack, appropriate tools, and a couple good tarps. A tarp sure beats kneeling in the mud and a bumper jack is much better than crawling on the ground to place a crappy factory jack on the frame!

I would also immediately replace plastic or decorative bumpers with something that can be used as a bumper! Many Thanks! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Return to BOB's & BOV's