• Advertisement

Just returned from the mountain cabin...

General HAM Radio topics. A great place for both experienced operators and for newbies to get started and ask questions

Just returned from the mountain cabin...

Postby orangetom1999 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:11 am

Just returned from a week in the Mountain Cabin up in the Shenandoah...near Waynesboro, Virginia.

As we rented the cabin for a whole week, I decided to bring a temporary Ham Radio set up.

I brought my switching power supply, a small tuner, and my Icom 706G Mk II radio....and a G5RV antenna and a roll of RG8 coaxial cable. Also I brought a small fishing pole to cast up and thread a small light nylon rope through the trees by which to hang the G5RV antenna. This antenna was cut for 80 to 10 meters.

My friend out in Tennessee ....We would meet on the Virginia Phone net at 3.947 MHZ LSB and check in ...then after the net would go down to the lower end of 75 meters and work in the Extra portion of the band to get away from most of the traffic...somewhere from 3.610 to 3.625 MHZ. This worked out well...and the copy was good.

Later in the week I raised my feed point up about 10 feet and thus got a bit more received signal on my friend out west. He is in Tennessee near Johnson City.

From the cabin I reckon the distance at some 250 plus miles. From my home base station I estimate some 400 miles. Decent copies from both locations. All traffic was at night and after the days events and get togethers had quieted down.
Also let the children see how the rig worked...they are not accustomed to something other than a telephone or remote controller...so it was a learning experience for them.

Oh..and I tried this G5RV on 160 meters but it would not work well..though it tuned up fine. But 75 meters ...it worked great.

Rig is now back home on the base station and working fine. G5RV antenna and coaxial cable is rolled up and in storage for the next time.

Distance from the cabin to Tennessee is about 250 miles. From my home down on the Chesapeake Bay to Johnson City, Tennessee.....about 400 miles.

Can copy him fine from both locations on 75 meters..but planning to add a bit of power as the static crashes become more intense with the summer heat arriving. About 200 watts we are thinking should do it.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Re: Just returned from the mountain cabin...

Postby orangetom1999 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:06 am

In case I have not posted this as far as equipment updates...

I have picked up a new Ameritron 811H linear Amplifier. This amplifier is capable of boosting the radio output from 100 watts PEP to some 800 watts PEP.

I wanted to have it on hand in case conditions between me and my friend out in Tennessee get verily rough with static crashes and other noise thusly blocking out his signal.

So far, outside of initially trying it out, I have not used it. We have mostly been running only the power in the radios we have ...100 watts or less.

We have even dialed down our power to some 50 watts and still made the trip ..but we think that with the weather warming up....the atmosphere will produce more static crashes along with more summer storms, lightening, thunder etc...all across this nation.

I have this power on tap..but so far we have been trying to use the minimum power we need to make the trip. We have, in particular, been working along these avenues...minimum power needed...but both of us have extra power/linear amplifiers on tap if needed.

We try to find the quieter portion of the Ham Radio bands in which to operate..thus needing less power. We try to avoid the heavily trafficked bands.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby Gunns » Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 am

I like this post. I need to get my crap together and get up to speed on this. I used to have my 1st class license but let it expire decades ago.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:11 am

Gunns,

I like this post. I need to get my crap together and get up to speed on this. I used to have my 1st class license but let it expire decades ago.

Yeah Gunns,

I have renewed my license one time now.

My friend out in Tennessee...and I started out on the CB bands many years ago and have maintained contact. When we both got our Ham Tickets...we discovered that we had both been working on Prepping..and the thinking behind the same.

He knew that when he retired he would be wanting to move back out to the mountains...he never got the mountains out of his blood.

Hence he also got his Extra class ticket. And so too of recent has his wife.

We wanted to know if we could make the trip outside of a computer and or a telephone...land line.

This has been incorporated now into our preps...in particular working the extra portion of the bands wherein it is often less crowded...fewer pile ups.

The cabin experience was more or less a remote experiment away from the base here on the Chesapeake Bay.

The next step is to try it here using an olde car battery and carry on for about 40 minutes...and on the lowest possible setting and also using that same G%RV antenna.

Then again another time using a gas powered generator...to a 13.8 volt power supply. Again on the lowest possible power settings.

I do not foresee any problems but you never know until you try It out and see what adjustments need be made.

Best to try it out now and know for sure..in good times rather than under the gun in hard times.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Return to HAM Radio Open Discussions