• Advertisement

Tick Tubes

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Tick Tubes

Postby theoutback » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:23 am

If your place is anything like mine, you are infested w/ ticks. This makes a lot of sense to me. The key to pest control is breaking the life cycle, this shows that they are trying to do this, not just simple put a bandaid on the aftermath. I deal in pest control quite extensively in my orchards and I can tell you, breaking the lifecycle is how you bring pest levels down. In theory this seems to have merit. I'm going to give it a try.

Has anyone tried this?

https://www.homesteadnotes.com/make-tic ... rid-ticks/
theoutback

Re: Tick Tubes

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:04 am

WELL, HOLY CR@P!!!

I don't care if it works....I'm going into business for myself!!!!

A $2 item selling for over $80 on amazon with a 4 star rating!!!???!?!.....WoW! lol,,,Must work pretty damn good I'd say...

There's one born every minute folks...Yersiree.

https://www.amazon.com/Damminix-27203-Tick-Tube-24-Pack/dp/B000OWB7ME

Give me a few days to get setup and I'll save you $5 off the above listing.. a "Special price" ..lol.

Dunno for myself Outback but if folks are buying them at this price and rating them that high I'd say they're certainly be worth the try on the homemade versions.......or you could buy them from me when I win the new buy-box in about a week on amazon....lol.

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 am

That's interesting. I may have to try that in spots.

Have you tried Guineas? They work too. Unless you are like my neighbor who has a resident Eagle and finds them a tasty meal :blink: I told her at least they are going for a good cause!
Stahlrosen

Postby rebnavy1862 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 am

Stahlrosen wrote:That's interesting. I may have to try that in spots.

Have you tried Guineas? They work too. Unless you are like my neighbor who has a resident Eagle and finds them a tasty meal :blink: I told her at least they are going for a good cause!

Guinea fowl are fantastic tick eaters. I don't have ticks anymore. I trained them to roost at night in the coop with my hens. I don't lose any to night predators. I have eagles and hawks, but the guineas are savvy about warning each other.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby anita » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 am

My tick population has increased since I've had to keep my chickens in the run, due to the local hawks that are illegal to do anything to. (I do mean local.)

"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others." -- George Orwell
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

anita

Postby lghb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks for the post. I am going to give it a try.
lghb

Postby Cin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:46 pm

Please be careful - permethrin is deadly to cats.

I have three cats to keep our mice population down. We use a spray with permethrin in it on our clothes when we go out in the woods, but we keep it away from the cats.
Cin

Return to General Homesteading Topics