• Advertisement

HONEY: powder

Discuss general food topics here

Re: HONEY: powder

Postby daaswampman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:35 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:
AuntBee wrote:Mmm...mead!

OAR & Reb - nothing wrong with my dehydrated water stash. :x It comes from a reputable company, too. Image
It even comes with a free tap! Image

Your images did not come up for me. Knowing you, they are probably hilarious.

Swamp, Dollar Tree, which is almost 100% Chinese imports, sells "honey". If you read the ingredients it is only honey flavored sugar syrup.

Reb

Which May be a good thing! Can you imagine the crap that Bees in China feed and crawl on? All jokes aside, China has a pollution problem that we can barely imagine! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:50 pm

Holy Honey Batman!....Did I give myself one heck of a crash course in honey today.

I'm interested in the health benefits and healing properties of the stuff along for use as an alt-med surplus..(already knew the basics but eye opening education today)

Manuka---HOLY crud is the good stuff e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e!. :shock: :shock: :shock: ..That lead me to find legitimate studies on the benefits though as I couldn't fathom spending that much on a snake oil hipster trend...

Nope...It's real....wound, cold, throat, and upper airways/cough suppressant....I did a "subscription" at amazon today since it cost so much...lol....We'll have to build this shelf a little slower than I normally do a month at a time.
https://www.amazon.com/Comvita-Manuka-Honey-Premium-Zealand/dp/B000LKWXA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493436932&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=manuka&th=1

Learned about true Manuka (vs knockoff) and the UMP rating/label scale

Also the next best..(medicinally anyways)...Buckwheat....Also how to spot the stuff being passed off as buckwheat when its not.

Good stuff... That's why I love APN...You guys start a simple subject and my brain gets to work learning. :thumbup:

My preps just grew with diversity....Nice.
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:58 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:I like Augason Farms. So far, everything I've tried was good. Haven't tried the honey. I store the real thing.
Reb

I went to Wal-Mart BTW.....What a disappointment.

I went for three things including Augson Farms stuff...Nada. Zip. Ziltch....What a wasted trip...I'm done with that store...the masses of people too...Pffft.

Back online I go...
-- Max Mayfield

-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby rickdun » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:21 am

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:I like Augason Farms. So far, everything I've tried was good. Haven't tried the honey. I store the real thing.
Reb

I went for three things including Augson Farms stuff...Nada. Zip. Ziltch....What a wasted trip...I'm done with that store...the masses of people too...Pffft.

Back online I go...

DR1VEN, I have not found Augson Farms stuff in the store, only on line. It's free shipping on $35.00 orders.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:51 pm

rickdun wrote:
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
Reb

Back online I go...

DR1VEN, I have not found Augson Farms stuff in the store, only on line. It's free shipping on $35.00 orders.

ya, figured as much but took a chance since I needed a few other things too and haven't stepped foot in that madhouse for about 2 years....Everything I needed wasn't there...lol.

I'll give then a shot next time if I like it...Had $100 credit on Amazon so I just did my same-ol' - same-ol' tried and true....a couple bucks more there but the 2 day delivery and return policies(free pickup if done right/immediate credit) are hard to beat on Amazon.

I do really appreciate the info though Rick.....Doing a little last min splurging with current political tensions....In no way would I consider myself set in SHTF, but at a guess, 99% better off than the rest of the knuckleheads here in SoCal.....at least for 5-6 months.

-- Max Mayfield

-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby 101airborne » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Stahlrosen wrote:That does seem odd. Wonder how it reconstitutes, as far as consistency? I would think some of the antibacterial properties / benefits would be gone by dehydrating it?

It doesn't at least in my experiment. I think it's mainly for convienence. My wife uses it for her coffee and we use it for tea and such. Plus once you figure out the ratio of powder to honey itself it seems to work better in recipes as the dry seems to mix easier. Plus the convinence we take the little packets with us when we go out instead of using sugar or whatever.
101airborne

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon May 08, 2017 5:28 pm

I think it's just another sweetener to use where it would blend in like beverages and baked goods. We have some but from another vendor - I think it may be granules. We have honey too but due to a severe allergy in our family we will not have our own bees. We have enough stinging things flying around here in the deep south.
I could think of many uses when you want to conserve the real honey and use the powder and granules for a sweetener only. It certainly doesn't beat the real thing but there are many substitutes for "the real thing" in our society! :D

Mrs. Forward Preppers
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby pilgrimtr » Fri May 12, 2017 12:04 am

as a five year bee keeper. if you are looking for honey for the benefits for allergies. you should find a bee keeper that is near you the bees will be feeding off of the same plants that effect you and you will get the benefit of the anti allergic properties of the honey. if you ever have honey crystalize do not put it in the microwave, it will kill all of the good properties of the honey.
to melt the crystals place the honey jar in a pot of warm water not above 120 degrees and it will melt the crystals. there are so many uses for honey. a table spoon each morning for allergies. put in on cuts for faster healing. Pilgrim :D
if someone tell you they are an expert, be leary of them. if they tell you they are knowlagable of something.trust them. Remember an ex is a has been and a spert is a drip under pressure. :)
pilgrimtr
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Previous

Return to General Food Topics